R/C Tech Forums

Sponsored by:
Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers

Old 10-19-2008, 09:10 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Vintage NW

Guys!
Here's something that might be fun: chat up the old days... vintage style. I got a little reminiscent on the NWIC thread the other day, thats what happens when you don't get to race enough and you start to reflect. I know, some of the new guys are staying: come on grandpa, tell us another story about when you guys had to solder up your resister speed controls use those awful stick radios.

Naw, this should be a little more fun then that. There's some rich history in the NW that many may not even be known about. I have a few old magazines floating around. I have scanner. Let the fun begin! I bet guys like Steve Curry should have a few, too!

Just for starters, there was a pub .... oh.... 17 years ago that was called Competition Plus. It was not the main stream add mag of the time. They had real race results with real products and real racers. I scanned a motor/bat add of the time.... that time being 1991. Just look through some of the names. What fun is some of the names that were somebody at the time and names that are still somebody today.

So many of these drivers came from the NW, they have almost have been lost into the history pages. Chris white, Carlos Conzales, Scott Brown, Shane Porter, Scott Stevens, Greg Hodapp.... amazing! Half of these kids I grew up with on the race track and have at least some story about each. Some have led normal lives while others have succeeded into rc history and still some continue to write that history.

I can personally drag up stories of racing off road in Lynnwood at 212th & 99 or Mt. Vernon or at the Hobby Hut in Renton, Big Dad's in Burien before they were in Auburn, or even blazin' a trail to TRCR when Ray was in charge. And lets not forget the B&I Summer Sizzler when it was on the dirt when Ivan was still on display.

Past names like Guy Davies, Barry Torseth, Tom Jones, and lets not forget Dave Steen, Roger Stevens, Roger Moore, Bennett?

Anyone else still around with any memory left?
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage NW-sc000fb585.jpg  
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i race the summer sizzler back in when i was 15 now i'm 39,and running at t.r.c.r when it was on 100th Doug
dougedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Next to the Dancin' Bare???? Just like last week, hugh Doug? That was the coolest dirt track around. Seems like you could race several times a week. They had the biggest table tops around. Just don't land in the window!

How about the Sizzler? That was like a RC Woodstock. Everyone was camped out around the perimeter. There were tents, rv's, guys pitting on tail gates... classic. Shane Elliott was there. So was Team Green
Old 10-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000 View Post

Naw, this should be a little more fun then that. There's some rich history in the NW that many may not even be known about. I have a few old magazines floating around. I have scanner. Let the fun begin! I bet guys like Steve Curry should have a few, too!

Just for starters, there was a pub .... oh.... 17 years ago that was called Competition Plus.
If by having a few magazines laying around then yes, I do have about 250 RC mags from the glorious past. Competition Plus, RC News, RC Car Actions, RC Model Cars, Early Xtremes. I got um all Baby!

If I could figure out how to use my scanner, I might be able to add to this thread.

Old man Steve
Fasttrax Racing Series / NORA On Road Series
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

thats how we did it on the back of my dad tail gate.and you could race all night long too.
dougedoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Oh! Check this out: new cells on the market. You could get a pack of 1200's for $35. Those were awesome cells. You could melt the shrink off of them and they were still good. There was this resistor wire (like a jumper cord) you would hook directly to you 12v auto battery to your rc bat. It took about 8-11 minutes to charge the battery. You had to stand near by to check the temp with your hand every 30 seconds or so. When it got hot, you took them off and went racing. If you had two packs, you were really cool.
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage NW-sc00189289.jpg  
Old 10-19-2008, 11:40 PM   #7
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I've got a bunch of old RC Car Actions that I bought on eBay the other day...crazy looking at some of that stuff has the prices haven't gotten much worse and some of the logos are still the same. I'll go see if I can dig some of them out and get the scanner fired up.

How many of you raced at Land Air Water Hobbies in Lynnwood? I know Bodine did...he taught a driving clinic there one night when I was like 12...

You're all old...

Last edited by Wes Briscoe; 10-20-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Wes Briscoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #8
Suspended

Hobby Shack Advert, 1986 RCCA
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage NW-hobby-shack-ad-1986.jpg  
Old 10-20-2008, 12:06 AM   #9
Suspended

Few more ..
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage NW-fantom-01.jpg   Vintage NW-fantom-03.jpg   Vintage NW-fantom-02.jpg   Vintage NW-trinity.jpg  
Old 10-20-2008, 03:13 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wow and to think I missed all this growing up in NorCal. I was just talking the other day about my Hot Trick fully optioned Tamiya Hot Shot. It's fun seeing those old nicads and how fun was the Liesure Electronics dial chargers with the 6-7 cell toggle option! 15 min is the pack hot, then go race!
Old 10-20-2008, 08:30 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Fun thread BB, look forward to reading more.

Quote:
use those awful stick radios.
You mean these stick wonders ? I'm 45 now and when I was around 11, (14yrs before my first rc car) I watched some Rc racing with guys holding these relics. I believe Kraft became or was taken over by JR or airtronis but not sure which.

I use a stick radio because I have to, but believe it or not, I really like wheeling my losi 8b with it and deffinately would not switch to pistol if I could. But I'm in good company with 8 time champ Lamberto Collari and several other top drivers that to this day, uses the same Futaba 3ch stick I do, check out the end of the clip. Collari on a practice run. To me the stick radio makes sense for rc car control.
Leopard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
Tech Fanatic

212th and 99, across from the Toyota dealer right? What was the name of that place? I raced there about a half dozen times when I was 15/16 with a Tamiya Frog!
Old 10-20-2008, 10:01 AM   #13
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think back to 1983 and my trusty Super Champ, loaded with MIP goodies. What a car, then the RC10 comes out and it's relegated to the shelf. Those times were cutting edge, none of us really what we were doing but the competition was great. There were so many off road tracks you could race all week and then go somewhere on the weekend too. We got so much more stick time! I still have most of the old stuff, since I rarely throw anything away. :-) I have the same problem as Steve, not smart enough to run my scanner, The off road racers would love my collection of Losi 2w buggies, ranging from the 5 link JRX2 to the Tripple X including a hand built(was never a kit) Pro SE. I could go on and on, great memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One of the best is Bodine picking on little kids
ME
Mike Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Ya I Was thare

Wow That was a when I started raceing at TRCR and Big Dad's I was a novice Darin Duncan and tom jones sponserd all my parts with his old stuff Yes this was before we even had com cuter if motor was bad throw it away. Does any one remember Tom kicking ass with that losi grave digger. He has all his old race stuff to this day. He has been at Trcr the last few weeks. Tom and I was talking about the old days last week. My first R/C car was a frog 23 years ago

Last edited by Double Dee; 10-20-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Double Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 10:52 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Jeff - Ann was the lady's name that owned that shop prior to the guy who bought it and changed it to LAW Hobbies. Can't remember what the shops name was. That was some grass roots racing. Literally, we had to go out and clean the track up all the time. Got a couple of pics from there/then. My Frog doing some roto-tilling. The group photo for the day, Guy in the red jacket, the fella in the brown jacket next to me was just starting Paulson's Towing.... had only 2 trucks at the time.

Mike - you know as well as I do that kid had it coming. I should have given him a beating, but his dad was there. Bet he sold that radio afterwards.... just couldn't get a clean signal.

Wes - that's awesome! I remember getting invited to do a halftime show at the Sonics with our 12th scales. One of the guys had that Kyosho 4wd car. We didn't think we could hook up on the hardwood so we used some traction compound. We still slid all over the place and the crowd loved it. When the game resumed, some of the players were slipping on the court. The officials stopped the game to clean the floor. We were never invited back.

I forget that we used to race for 4 minutes and often used 7 cells. Good times! Chris White could drain a 7 cell in 3 1/2 minutes in a Tamiya Hot Shot. That thing was nothing more then a "heater".
Attached Thumbnails
Vintage NW-sc001c6d52.jpg   Vintage NW-sc001c85d8.jpg