Wiki Posts
Search

Vintage NW

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 12:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Hey Brian,

I am pretty sure that race was actually in Antioch, Ca. Dave and I raced over there a time or two back then when we lived in Nevada before we moved back to our homestate. Those guys had some pretty good locals.

Steve

Wes or Brian,

If either of you guys could do a "Scanner's for Dummies" post on here maybe I could throw some tidbits on here. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Steve, you are absolutely correct. See.... memory.... fading.....

Before I say: buy a Mac! Scanners will all be a little different. With mine, I drop a photo in which activates some scanner choices on my monitor. Hit scan photo instead of OCR or the other choices. Move the crop lines around the item you want. Accept. I then move it over to my desktop for easy access. Click the item, then go to "file", then "save as" which then I have the ability to check the file size. RCTech will not take anything bigger then 250mb, make the change and "save" it. Write up the favorite memory then scroll down to the near bottom for "manage attachment". Hit "choose file", locate your item on your desktop, "upload" and then close the window. "Submit"

You will be posting goofy stories of old before you know it.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Tech Addict

Default Vintage

HEY all yup were trying hard to set up a Vintage race for Friday night, as well as a new class of those rigs.
I would do my best to help ya if you run into a problem with your Vintage , That is one thing I do enjoy doing trying to help others with there RIGs
If I can,
Tim is also willing to help and there are a few others that are wiliing to jump in , Remember The Vintage is for fun and the charge is only $10.00 to run all other classes are the normal racing fees,
So if you have a Vintage come on down and join us, I am sure it will be fun,
If you have any questions Please come up and ask I am more then willing to take the time to help or answer any questions if I have the answers and if I dont I will fine someone that can,
ok I am Vintage myself ;-))) maybe that is why I am trying to get our Vintage up and running again, HOPE to see some on Firday night , If nothing elest just come up and say hi , DON your old RC 10 T Vintage driver,
Old 10-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

O I forgot .
I am talking about runing a Vintage race at A main race way in Portland Oregon, I was thinking I was on the A main board.
BUT if your in the Portland area and want to start racing Vintage come on down, We would enjoy having ya ,
DON
Old 10-21-2008, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

1974 Jerobee
1/12th Nitro Cox .049 engine
These were built here in Washington.
I had just finished playing war and found these little nitros running at the Briggs Cunningham Museum in Costa Mesa, Cal.
Had to get one and join in, unfortunately the once a month races fizzeled out about 4 months later.
The little pull start Cox .049 really screamed when super lean and at less than $10 for a new engine, the pits were busy.

Found a good pic, with the caption of;

Top Fuel legend Don Garlits holds onto Jerobee #11, while the irrepressible TV Tommy Ivo prepares to swipe the other one! Don Garlits another hero from my childhood, so I was excited to see he was part of Jerobee's history.
Attached Thumbnails Vintage NW-jerobee.jpg  
Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Wes,
We have one of those Mugens that your ad shows (in the upper RH side). My husband is more into vintage than I am, but I had a lot of fun. Actually, my favorite vintage was the RC10 buggy converted to a truck. Andy's used to make these huge mounts and also deep chrome wheels with adapters. I had a Chevy S10 pickup body that I painted - still have the body. We recently picked up an RC10 that we made into the converted. In those days, the truck bodies looked like the real thing! I added the stealth transmission and actually, that little conversion handled very well. I also had a Brat body that had an actual pickup bed. We used to put the ball in it and our dog would chase the car with his ball in the back.

Our first dirt racing was done in McMinnville with Larry Rucker and Scott Canfield. Also, back then, Jamai was the only other female racing off road there, besides me. I think the club name was Yamhill County RC, or something similar. There was a fellow, whose name I cannot recall who moved away, who would meticulously keep track of laps. Back then it was an art and very few were good at it. It was labor intensive. These were in the days before the computer and they would use these little contraptions that you hit the top of them for each lap. There was one for each car in the race. (At least Aero used to use them back in the early 90s). But I do know that the track at McMinnville was devided up into, I think eighths, and when the bell went off to end the race, you had to stop where you were. Then depending on where you were at the time in one of those sections was what was counted on top of the number of full laps you completed. So you would win a race by about a 8th of a lap or wherever you were. This guy was very good at keeping track and he used to hang up little slips of paper with the lap counts on them under each named racer. Very intense way to keep track and it took a lot of know-how.

The race fees back then (about 1990) were $3.50 for members, and it would take all day long to race - we had that many racers. We'd start at about 9:00am and race til 7:00pm on some nights. They would wrap plastic around the bunny barn to keep the cold wind out. It was freezing! Some of us would take propane heaters. It was so much fun! I miss those days and those people.

In the summer, they had an outside track at the fairgrounds also - (which I understand now is for midget off road) - with a 2-tier driver's stand. One time I remember especially well in late September. The racing went "late", meaning it was dark by the time we were at the last couple of mains. There were no lights, so we all lined up our "real" cars around the track and turned on the headlights. That was a hoot and one of my best memories. Talk about diehards. There were a few that were disgusted and complaining about it and thought it was stupid, but most of us had a wonderful time. Something I'll never forget because it was a real challenge, but lots of fun. I sure miss those days!

The death knell came for this club when a few of the racers decided that oval was the way to go and there became an uppity attitude toward off-road road course racing. I remember about a year later, after they didn't have enough racers show up to race, the president of the club, Larry Rucker, realized that oval had been a bad idea and said to me that "we have to get back to our roots", meaning off road, not oval. But no one ever came back. We drove 80 miles round trip that morning, just to have to turn around and come back home due to not enough racers. The damage had been done by the unfriendly attitude. I had talked with a lot of former racers there that said they would not go back because the guys running oval had said to a few that they didn't need the offroaders there. So sad. It was a great club and a great bunch of racers in its time.

We also used to race the TurkeyRama in McMinnville - on road. Old 10L first generation pan cars. That was a lot of fun also. Still held by the same Yamhill RC club.

We have a lot of video of racing there, plus at Aero, and even some at RC Plus in the early 90s when they had the big outside track. Watching those cars at RC Plus' outside track - wow, were they awkward and a real handful when you watch them. There was a racer at RC Plus (outside) - I think his name was Bill. You always knew when Bill was racing because his wife would root him on and you could hear her above everybody yelling "go baby". It was so funny! We have that on video also.

Also miss the great Saturday racing or late night practice at Aero Sports & Hobbies. It breaks my heart to see that track lying dormant now - what a waste!

Sorry to be so long winded. Just a lot of great memories!

Diane
Old 10-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Wes,
We have one of those Mugens that your ad shows (in the upper RH side). My husband is more into vintage than I am, but I had a lot of fun. Actually, my favorite vintage was the RC10 buggy converted to a truck. Andy's used to make these huge mounts and also deep chrome wheels with adapters. I had a Chevy S10 pickup body that I painted - still have the body. We recently picked up an RC10 that we made into the converted. In those days, the truck bodies looked like the real thing! I added the stealth transmission and actually, that little conversion handled very well. I also had a Brat body that had an actual pickup bed. We used to put the ball in it and our dog would chase the car with his ball in the back.

Our first dirt racing was done in McMinnville with Larry Rucker and Scott Canfield. Also, back then, Jamai was the only other female racing off road there, besides me. I think the club name was Yamhill County RC, or something similar. There was a fellow, whose name I cannot recall who moved away, who would meticulously keep track of laps. Back then it was an art and very few were good at it. It was labor intensive. These were in the days before the computer and they would use these little contraptions that you hit the top of them for each lap. There was one for each car in the race. (At least Aero used to use them back in the early 90s). But I do know that the track at McMinnville was devided up into, I think eighths, and when the bell went off to end the race, you had to stop where you were. Then depending on where you were at the time in one of those sections was what was counted on top of the number of full laps you completed. So you would win a race by about a 8th of a lap or wherever you were. This guy was very good at keeping track and he used to hang up little slips of paper with the lap counts on them under each named racer. Very intense way to keep track and it took a lot of know-how.

The race fees back then (about 1990) were $3.50 for members, and it would take all day long to race - we had that many racers. We'd start at about 9:00am and race til 7:00pm on some nights. They would wrap plastic around the bunny barn to keep the cold wind out. It was freezing! Some of us would take propane heaters. It was so much fun! I miss those days and those people.

In the summer, they had an outside track at the fairgrounds also - (which I understand now is for midget off road) - with a 2-tier driver's stand. One time I remember especially well in late September. The racing went "late", meaning it was dark by the time we were at the last couple of mains. There were no lights, so we all lined up our "real" cars around the track and turned on the headlights. That was a hoot and one of my best memories. Talk about diehards. There were a few that were disgusted and complaining about it and thought it was stupid, but most of us had a wonderful time. Something I'll never forget because it was a real challenge, but lots of fun. I sure miss those days!

The death knell came for this club when a few of the racers decided that oval was the way to go and there became an uppity attitude toward off-road road course racing. I remember about a year later, after they didn't have enough racers show up to race, the president of the club, Larry Rucker, realized that oval had been a bad idea and said to me that "we have to get back to our roots", meaning off road, not oval. But no one ever came back. We drove 80 miles round trip that morning, just to have to turn around and come back home due to not enough racers. The damage had been done by the unfriendly attitude. I had talked with a lot of former racers there that said they would not go back because the guys running oval had said to a few that they didn't need the offroaders there. So sad. It was a great club and a great bunch of racers in its time.

We also used to race the TurkeyRama in McMinnville - on road. Old 10L first generation pan cars. That was a lot of fun also. Still held by the same Yamhill RC club.

We have a lot of video of racing there, plus at Aero, and even some at RC Plus in the early 90s when they had the big outside track. Watching those cars at RC Plus' outside track - wow, were they awkward and a real handful when you watch them. There was a racer at RC Plus (outside) - I think his name was Bill. You always knew when Bill was racing because his wife would root him on and you could hear her above everybody yelling "go baby". It was so funny! We have that on video also.

Also miss the great Saturday racing or late night practice at Aero Sports & Hobbies. It breaks my heart to see that track lying dormant now - what a waste!

Sorry to be so long winded. Just a lot of great memories!

Diane
Old 10-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

OK for the last couple of nights I have enjoyed reading this post, OK I have one for all of you ,
TELL US how you got into RC Racing,?
Here is our story, Back in about our time 1990 , We pick up a pair of 1/25th scale RC cars something like those Radio shacks,
We Started playing with them like we all do sometimes out in the street, Then we were talking to Dianes uncle at time he was up in about his 60s and we were telling him about what pick up, HE said we should come out and see what he had , I know he wanted us to come out any way ,

When we got out to his home we found out his wife pick up one for him to play with he had alot more room then we ever did and with good Pavement,
What he had was a kyosho rader Off road, 1/10 scale ,

Well Diane started to play with and at first she said that is way to big but as she played with it she took a liking to it,
Well for her birthday her uncle and I pick up one of the new Pandas cars for her and I ended up with one about a week later,

We went out to a hobbie shop called RC modeler to see about getting parts for one, At that time there as a lady name Jamai that said they have a track that is set up each week out in the parking lot that was use for pavement racing and we could come and race with them.

She took a liking to us and we were called the Pandonians , So that was the begining of our racing, As time went on we got to know about other tracks and now the rest is history as Diane says on her last note,
DON MacDonald
Old 10-21-2008, 11:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Speaking about not throwing something out... a few years ago, I was digging through a box of something looking for something that probably wasn't any good anyway and I come across an old motor. At first I was annoyed that I kept junk like this. Then I took a look at what it was and then recalled what it meant at the time.

Somewhere in the mid 80's, all we had to race for motors were basically what everyone calls silver cans now. They usually came in the Tamiya kits. Most of the time they were Mabucis, Johnsons or Igarashis. They were all closed endbells and pretty heavily crimped over so they accidently didn't pop open. They were bushed at both ends. If you kept them oiled, they would last all year, no problem. I think they cost about $6. I don't know why I remember that 'cause you didn't need to buy one hardly ever. At some point, the Yokomo Ready Stock came long which was the first open end bell motor that I knew about. It was just about as fast as the silver cans, but you could replace the brushes. Again, that was not a big deal either as 2 sets of brushes would last a season. The timing was set about 5 degrees, just enough that it didn't want to spin backwards when you hit the throttle. I think you had to give about $12 for that one and the brushes were about $.50 a pair.

One day a stranger come to our little dirt track. He had a cool paint job. He was well dressed ( we were usually always dirty). Think his name was Ed Hagen. Ed proceeds to put a lap and change on all of us! Nobody at our club had seen speed like this before. We immediately zoom in on his equipment and here is a new motor that none of use have even heard about let alone seen before.

It was a Race Prep stock motor. It's orange end bell stood right out. You could free spin it with a battery and clearly hear the difference. It didn't take too long to find out the timing was higher (12 degrees). We found out that Ed was from Renton and raced with the Hobby Hut group. The motor was sitting on the shelf at the Hut. After we all got crushed by the stranger with the hot motor, many of us jumped in the car and headed to Renton just to buy a motor. I think we gave $25 for them. We sold out the shop in one afternoon and back ordered more.

I guess I accidently saved that motor due to the fact it started the motor revolution (in my opinion). Stock motor racing was never the same from that moment forward. Timing would eventually go as high as 45 degrees. The motors would remained sealed into the '90s. With no way to "legally" take them apart, you could wear the com out in one evening of racing. I recall buying a stock motor for every club race. Then came the first com lathes. They were expensive, so a buddy and I split the cost of one. You could only remove a brush hood to access the com with a tiny thin bit. Finally the manufacturers came to an agreement to build motors with removable end bells to get the arm out. Meanwhile the brush war carried on. Brushes were big money. You needed bags of them to get through an event as they would only last one run. There was magnet zappers, can coolers, cheater bearings.... it never ended till one day. Brushless.

Now we are back to closed end bells and don't have to take them apart.
Attached Thumbnails Vintage NW-pa210238.jpg   Vintage NW-pa210239.jpg   Vintage NW-pa210241.jpg  
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Kind of surprised no one has mentioned the highly popular mighty Little Bear Creek Off Road track a block down from Turners Corner off Maltby Rd. It was really hoppin.

I wasnt into off road during their time but visited a couple times to watch and there must of been 40 -50 racers both times.

Then they had an issue with the county about land use, I guess the track was located on county property (power lines) next to the guys property that started the track and they had give it up and I think I heard there was a noise and traffic issue too with a neighbor but not sure.

Tracy
area52rc.com
Old 10-22-2008, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Slapmaster,
Very interesting story about the motor revolution. Thanks for posting it. We didn't start racing until 1990, so anything earlier is interesting news to me.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Default Could use some advice,

Hey all I now have a queston for ya , OK First off I have allways been an RC 10 T driver and know the truck pritty well,
BUT when It came to the RC 10 gold or other wise I never got to know them all that well. I know a little about them ,

OK This is or to all of your Vet Drivers that know the RC 10 s better then me ,
I have been ask a couple of times what can be use on the old RC 10s in wheels and tires , Since you can hardly fine the ones that came out with them,
so can anybody out there help me to be able to help others, On the RC 10 T depending on what you do there are many ways you can go ,

OK thank you again to any of you that may be able to help me with this question and I am happy to have this board ,
If I can help just ask and I Will do my best
DON RC 10 T Vintage ,
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PT Hill Top RC
Wow That was a when I started raceing at TRCR and Big Dad's I was a novice Darin Duncan and tom jones sponserd all my parts with his old stuff Yes this was before we even had com cuter if motor was bad throw it away. Does any one remember Tom kicking ass with that losi grave digger. He has all his old race stuff to this day. He has been at Trcr the last few weeks. Tom and I was talking about the old days last week. My first R/C car was a frog 23 years ago
I went to Tom Jones and toke some pic of the summer sizzler Grave Digger look at that DUSTi126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/pthilltop3190/100_0584.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PT Hill Top RC
I went to Tom Jones and toke some pic of the summer sizzler Grave Digger look at that DUSTi126.photobucket.com/albums/p104/pthilltop3190/100_0584.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Tech Legend

Jones truck made history by being the first national truck champ ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.