Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
Off-Road Nitro & Electric Track in Seattle Park - would you use it? >

Off-Road Nitro & Electric Track in Seattle Park - would you use it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Off-Road Nitro & Electric Track in Seattle Park - would you use it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I also would be interested in signing the petition. I’m very new to rc. I have been looking at rc off road tracks to race at and it seems all of them are a ways from Seattle(at lease an hours drive).

Magnuson Park would be a great location with lots of space. I think there is a large air plain hanger that is no longer being used that could be used for indoor tracks.

How about an off road track with a large enough awning to cover the pits and track. I would suggest this only because it rains a lot in Seattle. I think this would be a great idea!!! That way we can use it all year

If Burling can have a public off road track in a park I can’t see why Seattle can’t have one too and it should. Doesn’t Tacoma and Olympia have tracks to race at? Seattle just seems left out when it comes to this.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default YES

I recently moved here from florida, the only thing i miss is the rc tracks. build one close to seattle/sea-tac please, anything closer than A-52.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:42 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Cool

Hey guys.
I was the president of the NORA club up in Mt. Vernon, when we lost our track after 20+ years.
I approached the Mayor and the Parks Manager and after 8 weeks of negotiations we have a signed contract controlling the oval and offroad tracks.
It actually went pretty smoothly. I might be able to help a little bit. But as my wife just passed away last week I don't know which end is up right now.
Please get a hold of me and maybe I could give you a little help. Keep my mind of the loss.
Thanks Mike Turner
As far as cost go,
we built our facility fairly cheap way under $20,000 including drivers stand, lights for the track and power.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Tech Initiate

I would drive all the way out from gig harbor, past TRCR to get to something like this, there are no off-road outdoor tracks within 3 hours of me right now. I started 1/10 2wd buggies because I couldn't race my 1/8 truggies. I don't like running nitro indoors, because of the poor visibility and it's difficult to hear the announcer. But outdoor off-road is my favorite thing. Just would like the track to be BIG, bigger is always better.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Great Idea!

We live less than 10 minutes walking time to Magnuson Park. Used to fly my electrics there until folks complained. We used to run cars over by the old Commissary, but the pavement has eroded too much now.

But, since I grew up in this area, I have heard many proposals over the last 50 years or so, to make a portion of Magnuson (Sandpoint NAS) friendly to Model Hobbies, RC and otherwise. The main issue is noise, if you are thinking Nitro. The $$$ on the hill to the West have always raised a stink about Sandpoint.

When I was a kid and the Navy still occupied the base, there was an annual air show there, Blue Angels and all. Part of that show was a huge model airplane show, mostly CL, RC was just beginning! Anyway, it was the model engines that drew the most complaints from the money on the hill!

That being said, it would be great to have an offroad track there! The north end is of course occupied by NOAA, the center space is the Dog Park and Sports fields and the southeast in the boat launch. So that area around the old Commissary is about all that is left open.

One other thing is the mysterious glitching issue at Magnuson. Although I can only vouch for it existing on the Air Frequencies.

P.S. Yes, there are several hangers there. Some are used for storage, some for plant and book sales, indoor soccer and there was a model airplane club (Barn Owls I think) that flies indoors in the winter months.

Rich
Old 09-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Regular

Why not try going for a RC park. With planes, Helicopter, a off road and on road track. If that takes too much land. Maybe a RC Car Park. With a off road and on road track. I just went to 301 raceway in Maryland for nitro nat's awsome track. A old pro basketball player ownes it. There is so much $ in this area maybe we could get the right person interested.

Marty Barnes
Old 09-22-2008, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team Bling
One other thing is the mysterious glitching issue at Magnuson. Although I can only vouch for it existing on the Air Frequencies.
Rich
hmmmmm.............X-Files anyone!?!?!?!

I'm from Edmonds, and would definitley be an occasional use person there. (I'd even vote for an electric only one, since I've long since gotten rid of my smokers)
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I live three minutes from Magnuson and have some experience with the local sensibilities. The nitro noise issue is significant. There are a lot of dog walkers, bird watchers, and other users of the park who would complain about the noise. But an electric RC park? That could get traction and fly. Particularly if its accompanied by a program to involve kids.

Keeping it close to the city and leveraging public spaces is absolutely the best way to make this sport work over the long run. Otherwise we're stuck out in the hinterlands where land is cheap enough to allocate to the purpose. But we have to also build in a level of respectfulness for other public space users from the get-go.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Master

Make it an on road track and it would defiantly get used. There are already plenty of permanent off road tracks in the area, but no permanent on road tracks.

Pops
Old 09-22-2008, 12:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

hmmm. I live in Seattle and don't know of one local offroad track. What tracks are you aware of?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jerobert
hmmm. I live in Seattle and don't know of one local offroad track. What tracks are you aware of?
I thought we were talking about in and around Seattle, (the Seattle area).

There are a number of permanent off road tracks within a 50 mile radius of Seattle. Check RC Tech.
I have nothing against off road, I race at TRCR when I'm not running on road, and the last time I checked TRCR is only 35 miles from Seattle just to name one. If a park is going to be developed for off road RC racing then I think at the very least it should accommodate on road. Besides the off road guy can backyard bash instead of race, which a lot of them do.

Pops.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

That is why we're looking for one in Seattle. Tacoma is the closest at 35 miles, but it usually takes an hour to drive there and even longer after work on weekdays. We're hoping to get something setup in Seattle so we can run more than just weekends out of town.

I'd like both on and off-road. Just want something that is more accessible.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
Tech Regular

Im sure noise will be a issue. Maybe we don't get to greedy and go for a electric on and off road tracks. Nice tracks that get peoples attention and could get national electric races. Get the newspapers involved. Maybe also electric planes and a COT car track for the kids and a place for model rockets. A Electric rc park. Maybe this can grow the hobby of rc. in the northwest. I can picture this. I can not see the city going for a nitro off road track with the noise and cost to start racing. We can sell them with the COT cars, model rockets and pine wood durby track and a covered slot car track for the kids, a starting point to get people involved at a cheap price and have some family fun. What do you think?

Marty
Old 09-22-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt P
I would drive all the way out from gig harbor, past TRCR to get to something like this, there are no off-road outdoor tracks within 3 hours of me right now. I started 1/10 2wd buggies because I couldn't race my 1/8 truggies. I don't like running nitro indoors, because of the poor visibility and it's difficult to hear the announcer. But outdoor off-road is my favorite thing. Just would like the track to be BIG, bigger is always better.
area 52 is way closer then 3 hours, it takes me 40 minutes to get to ollala from auburn, and 45-50 minutes to area 52 from auburn
Old 09-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

RC hobbies in covington is working on a petition for a track in maple valley, (at least i think its in that area) call them and see where they are at and if you can help them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.