The Seattle Indoor Raceway

Old 06-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default The Seattle Indoor Raceway

With the endorsement of the track owner and participation of those helping with the race program, we are kicking off a new thread for SIR. Expect to find announcements regarding track developments, upcoming events, and discussion of all and sundry right here on RCTech. Be advised that the track owner will not be a primary participant in the online forum.

First, an announcement. The asphalt is back! Yes, as of this afternoon compliments of Kody, Les, Patrick, Shane, Doug, and myself the carpet is rolled up in back and a layout is ready and waiting on the blacktop. Suffice to say, it more or less came down to the fact that Doug likes his asphalt track. He built it, he paid for it, and he wants to run it this way. And for those whose fond memories may have dimmed, be assured it is as lovely as ever. So let's get our race on!

As for the race program, there will be an immediate change. Friday night racing will now kick off at 8pm. $10 buys two heats and a main. We can grab a bite, kiss the wife, avoid the gut of the rush, and still have time to sauce our tires and charge our batteries at the recommended safe amperage

The parts counter will have a deal on all remaining rubber carpet tires. Those are the MuchMores and the CS27's. $30 per set while supplies last. Asphalt sedan tires are due in very soon. That said, after driving the track today it's clear the softer compounds will be the ticket until we can get some rubber laid down. So let's use 'em up. Oh, and for 1/12th scale we have ample stock of asphalt compounds from last year's ROAR Nats.

Rumor has it, or I may have heard..something about an enduro and world records and well...I can't recall the details. But anyway, stay tuned.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

YEAH Awesome news!!

Will the painted red/white corners be back too? I always liked those...made the track look full scale.

Time to party!!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Approved traction compounds this time around on the asphalt?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mkdut View Post
I'm hoping Doug stays with Jack. The lack of chemical odor indoors has been wonderful. Jack eliminates one barrier to new racers.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Before, the only compound not allowed was Paragon black can. Any other compound was OK and there was never a problem with smell.

For those that do not have tire warmers, Paragon FX2 always worked great. Tire tweek work as well.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Awsome news...AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME!

Wish I could of made it down there to help you guys out.

Which layout did you settle on?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crazy5 View Post
Before, the only compound not allowed was Paragon black can. Any other compound was OK and there was never a problem with smell.

For those that do not have tire warmers, Paragon FX2 always worked great. Tire tweek work as well.
"Problem with smell" is a personal thing -- some more sensitive, some less. (And there was the time SIR hosted the nationals and allowed Paragon black can -- it took a long time for the effects of *that* to go away.)

Tire Tweak seems very low odor, even to me, so I'd be happy if that were made the standard.

While SIR is going through its tidying-up phase, could some empowered person (1) merge the two threads, or delete the other one, and (2) post the race results (not just points standings) from the last couple of months?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

The pungent Paragon formula is out. I believe that's the black can? But as before, Jack, Tire Tweak, the non-smelly Paragons, suntan lotion homemades for foams, they're all good.

The layout is medium, I would say. It's left to right with a a nearly full clamp C-sweeper from the front of the driver's stand to a hairpin at the money tree corner. We radiused the back right corner so it's nice and fat. Should be fast. Turn 1 is a little narrow...Indyish I like to think. The rest is technical, though not punishing.

We're definitely running stock 1/12th on Wednesday night.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by MarkBrown View Post
While SIR is going through its tidying-up phase, could some empowered person (1) merge the two threads, or delete the other one, and (2) post the race results (not just points standings) from the last couple of months?
This is the thread now, the other should drop out of view quickly. However, there is history in the old thread should anyone care to revisit it (talk about spare time! ) That's a good idea on race results. I'll ask what we can do.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Tech Master

Just a thought. Would VHT be an option? I don't know how often you would need to reapply it, but with the VHT you wouldn't have a need to use any tire traction compound.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Unhappy

That $20 I dropped in the bottle for the NEW carpet fund, you can apply it to my pitspace rental for this month. I have mixed feelings on the asphalt being back. If the carpet was better and laid the way it should've been, then maybe......either way rubber/asphalt doesn't really optimize foam/carpet set-ups. See ya when I see ya
Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MarkBrown View Post
I'm hoping Doug stays with Jack. The lack of chemical odor indoors has been wonderful. Jack eliminates one barrier to new racers.
First off...excellent news! I look forward to getting back to a real race surface.

Second on the odors. It does no good to enforce the tire compound limit, then let people paint their cars inside the track. Those people know who they are...if your going to do that, you may as well allow smoking and whatever else inside.

I'm all for whatever they decide, possilby best to eliminate the worst compounds only... then enforce the no painting indoors...for everyone.

Anyone for Friday racing???

Last edited by Verndog; 06-03-2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Verndog View Post
Second on the ordors. It does no good to enforce the tire compound limit, then let people paint their cars inside the track. Those people know who they are...if your going to do that, you may as well allow smoking and whatever else inside.

I'm all for whatever they decide, possilby best to eliminate the worst compounds only... then enforce the no painting indoors...for everyone.
In the words of Franko: agree.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PutAwayWet View Post
The pungent Paragon formula is out. I believe that's the black can? But as before, Jack, Tire Tweak, the non-smelly Paragons, suntan lotion homemades for foams, they're all good.

The other one that should be banned is Buggy Grip. Worse than Paragon Black IMO.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

The other one that should be banned is Buggy Grip. Worse than Paragon Black IMO.
Buggy Grip does have a worse smell. Especialy when it's first put on. But the smell seems to go away where the paragon black can likes to get into the asphault and stick around.

Mark has a good point. Everyone has different tolerances when it comes to smells. After smelling floor finish for the last 17 years my sniffer isn't the one to judge. I'll be good with any or all compounds selected!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service