Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
What is your prefered start method..lets settle it!!?? >

What is your prefered start method..lets settle it!!??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your prefered start method..lets settle it!!??

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skypilot
..... ifmar is boring, and i've started just waiting or holding up for people to race with, how else you gonna tell where his car is better or yours is.
This pretty much sums it up for me. I cant believe how many people prefer the IFMAR for quals...wow... never would have guessed that
Being a first year racer, I find the small battles thoughout the day challenging, exctiting, and gives me a better perspective of where I stand throughout the race. Often there are a wide variety of "race directors" calling the race, and some never even call the places, times, or battles taking place which leads to no "real" sence of racing. In the case I presented with just 4 cars in an IFMAR start, I found it very disappointing.

Some have mentioned that for the spectators the heads up is more fun to watch, well IMO it would only stand to reason that it too would be more fun to partisipate in.

Do at least people believe the consensus would be a standard format should apply reguardless of "who is the director"? Say something like 6 or less cars heads up, and over 6 IFMAR on quals. Or not necessarily that, but some standard that people can expect to see?
Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Tech Elite

Do at least people believe the consensus would be a standard format should apply reguardless of "who is the director"? Say something like 6 or less cars heads up, and over 6 IFMAR on quals. Or not necessarily that, but some standard that people can expect to see?
Doubt it ... the regular racers and or RD at any given track I believe would not want to be locked in to a certain program ... I would say contact the track to see what their program is ahead of time and if its not your style pass on them and move to the next track down the way ... not trying to be smart here ... just seams like horse sence.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Verndog
I think you are asking a question about SIR. I don't think an RCTech discussion has any direct impact on how SIR is run. Such a discussion could have an indirect impact, if the people involved in the discussion go out of their way to talk to influentials at SIR about the issue being discussed.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Tech Master

I dont really care what a track does for club racing....but I do preffer IFMAR qualifying....

I just like even qualifying....and then racing it out in the main...
Old 05-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

IFMAR for quals, head's up for mains.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Tech Adept

Angry

Originally Posted by Verndog
This issue keeps coming up at a couple local tracks. I personally think the IFMAR start is a big crock of crap. Recently at SIR I asked Doug why the IFMAR starts with 4 racers, I was told "its up to the race director". Wow...you'd think there would be set rules for this...like 7-8 racer limit then B mains ect...but there isn't. It's up to whomever. Seems the same at FW, depends on day and mood.

Why even consider this start?? Just to save an occational restart we take the fun out of "real racing" from the start?

IFMAR starts need to go, and set max # of racers need to be stuck to IMO...lets air it out, then convince "the race directors" the preferend standard.
Why do you even start threds like this? "crock of crap"
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by crunchracer
Why do you even start threds like this? "crock of crap"
Mostly because I think it stinks.
My apologies if someone took this personal, wasn't meant to be, I see this at 2 local tracks and feel the same...not singling anyone in particular out. Since I now see a split on what others think, I can understand that there is some debate on both sides. I'll change the post to "crud" if it helps.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by STARSCREAM
I dont really care what a track does for club racing....but I do preffer IFMAR qualifying....

I just like even qualifying....and then racing it out in the main...
I agree....
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 78 (100%+)
Default Live Loop

Live loop, for quals no question. Raced at RCSX last weekend and the computer was set for 3min between rounds........ if your stuffs not ready, tuff shat........one computer hiccup, other than that rounds went by really fast.........with a first time TD also.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

it's important that you do both types. If you only ever did it one way, when the other gets thrown at you it's a big surprise. get used to things being different all the time because they will be different. Roll with it, figure out what works for your club racing and use that for club racing.
For big races, use the IFMAR qualifying for all the reasons stated above.
This can also be morphed into qual-points or rocket round? depends on track, conditions, turnout. Pick something and stick with it.

Oh, don't forget to have fun with your toy cars.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I like both IFMAR and heads up starts for club racing but a live loop worked out great for the RC Pro Series race, all the races went faster and everyone seemed to like it.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm for lemans start. we all start on the straight with our hands physically on our cars then at the tone we run to our remotes up on the drivers stand and race for the corner.....
Old 05-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

there is no correct answers just opinions and just like belly buttons and a$$holes everyone has 2
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kev,

I just don't like heads-up qualifying. It's neither qualifying nor main and it offends my exquisitely sensitive appreciation for coherent narrative development over the course of our evenings. Additionally, I have found that heads-up quals induce a build-up of fine silica granules in the delicate folds of my nether organs and it makes me sad and grumpy.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What makes me sad and grumpy is people running into me in the main because they have had no practice with heads up racing and can't handle traffic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.