Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROSE CITY NITRO TRANS AM

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Maybe you could mount the sorexes on the TA wheels to keep the hotrod look.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gregthecarguy
Ok im gonna throw this out there and see what people think. A few people out at TZ today discussed allowing a different tire being allowed on these cars, the tires are obviously the limiting factor here, and they seem to wear quickly. I bring this up because mine are now toast, and no they dont get better when they wear out and need a new set. So what does everyone think? Just for giggles me and Rob put a set of sorex tires on our cars after all the racing was over and oh boy what a difference.
HPI has a new Vintage slick, in a new compound due out in a couple of weeks, its in the magazine,RC Car Action, or Extreme? W/ HPI part#s, they are to fit the vintage rims.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would favour the HPI slicks to stay in the factory mode.

I drove the Sorex 32 car and it was a delight to get past the crap tyre and see the crap suspension limits.

So we need to be very very careful now not to blow the class to pieces.

But HPI slicks should get on the list.......

By the way, it is quite possible to destroy these cars with a little bit of exuberance. I plowed the left front arm, knuckle and a rear out drive from the diff in one fantastic drift into the pit wall at TZ yesterday.

All the other cars looked great racing together. Trans Am racing has a big groove factor still for me.

Jacko
Old 05-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
I would favour the HPI slicks to stay in the factory mode.

I drove the Sorex 32 car and it was a delight to get past the crap tyre and see the crap suspension limits.

So we need to be very very careful now not to blow the class to pieces.

But HPI slicks should get on the list.......

By the way, it is quite possible to destroy these cars with a little bit of exuberance. I plowed the left front arm, knuckle and a rear out drive from the diff in one fantastic drift into the pit wall at TZ yesterday.

All the other cars looked great racing together. Trans Am racing has a big groove factor still for me.

Jacko
HPI Racing Vintage Slick 26mm Tire 4791
HPI Racing Vintage Slick 31mm Tire 4792
Old 05-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

Ok im gonna throw this out there and see what people think. A few people out at TZ today discussed allowing a different tire being allowed on these cars, the tires are obviously the limiting factor here, and they seem to wear quickly. I bring this up because mine are now toast, and no they dont get better when they wear out and need a new set. So what does everyone think? Just for giggles me and Rob put a set of sorex tires on our cars after all the racing was over and oh boy what a difference.
It's a no for me, I like the fact that the stock tyres force TA drivers to live the mantras "slower is faster" and "to finish first you have to finish"

rob
Old 05-25-2008, 02:14 PM

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

My only problem with this issue is that normally a spec class car is slow and handling issues arent really an issue, these cars are anything but slow, I guess running a car that is at the brink of uncontrollable is irritating to me. If the intent of the class is to bring interest from people new to RC my fear is a new person will try to drive this car and be frustrated by its uncontrollability. I am fairly new myself to this addiction umm I mean hobby and I am tired of chasing a decent setup on this car, it just doesnt work for me. Anyone wanna buy a used HPI? I have lots of extras. I think I might step up to a comp 1/10th nitro or just buy another Electric. Guess that means im out of this tire discussion lol.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Tech Master

My only problem with this issue is that normally a spec class car is slow and handling issues arent really an issue, these cars are anything but slow, I guess running a car that is at the brink of uncontrollable is irritating to me. If the intent of the class is to bring interest from people new to RC my fear is a new person will try to drive this car and be frustrated by its uncontrollability. I am fairly new myself to this addiction umm I mean hobby and I am tired of chasing a decent setup on this car, it just doesnt work for me. Anyone wanna buy a used HPI? I have lots of extras. I think I might step up to a comp 1/10th nitro or just buy another Electric. Guess that means im out of this tire discussion lol.
I think the the new slicks would be big improvement, but I'm not to sure about the insert the tires come with. some kind of spec "rubber tire" might HAVE to be used to improve handling of the cars. hate to see people quit because of such a small detail. just all need to run the same tire good luck in what ever you all go with..........
Old 05-25-2008, 04:48 PM

I think the root of the issue is some people want to improve the handling and some dont. The class is set up as a non-compete class, not actually a spec class. As the cars sit now it is more of a drivers class, manage the car as it comes and its issues and you can do ok. I think my personality likes the challenge of making a car that handles like an overpowered school bus handle well. I think Im too competitve for this class thats all. Its a great fun class just not for me. Im just not the "Everybody is a winner" kind of guy. I have an electric to run, someone will buy my HPI and Ill buy something for a competetive class its cool.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

OK, WE STICK TO STOCK TYRES.

AGREED ?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

So, what parts are on the shelf Russ.

I Need: diff out drive, long drive shaft from 2 speed to front diff, two dog bones for the front end, steering knuckles and front arms.

Any of this available??

Need to wreck some more !!

Jacko
Old 05-27-2008, 01:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the root of the issue is some people want to improve the handling and some dont. The class is set up as a non-compete class, not actually a spec class. As the cars sit now it is more of a drivers class, manage the car as it comes and its issues and you can do ok. I think my personality likes the challenge of making a car that handles like an overpowered school bus handle well. I think Im too competitve for this class thats all. Its a great fun class just not for me. Im just not the "Everybody is a winner" kind of guy. I have an electric to run, someone will buy my HPI and Ill buy something for a competetive class its cool.

greg the hole point of the class is to have fun. that and making a school buss handle. if you are not having fun, well you know how to finish that one. i am glad you THINK you are too competitive. so you win a race and now its on. you can beat everybody in the class???
Old 05-27-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Elite

There is a certain charm about the Trans Am cars and their idiosyncratic floundering about the track. I believe there's a whole bunch more performance to be found from the set ups we have available with the rules as they are. So don't abandon ship yet Greg. When it comes to beating everyone, that's a slightly limiting vision I've found that caused me to keep switching cars and class'. Being a racer who goes quite quickly, I sometimes suffer from tunnel vision like that. The deal for me now is, did I manage to go 1 second faster than last time, basically racing myself within the competition and the second parameter, How much did Earboy beat me by !!??

So I still need parts for my TA cos' dammed if I'm gonna let Richard beat me again !! Hahahahahahahaha.

No doubt, see you on the track Greg.

Jacko
Old 05-27-2008, 07:35 PM

Wo nelly wait a minute who said anything about beating everyone? You are taking this the wrong way entirely guys. I never said anything about beating anyone! I didnt win the race Chris, Rob won. My frustrations arent at all with the other people in the clas, dont portray it that way please. My frustration is with not being able to make the car work with the tires we are using. My statement about needing to try a more competetive class was in relation to the fact that another class will allow necesary things for a car to perform well, not anything to do with the drivers in the class, I know for a fact I am far from the best driver in the T/A class, closer to the bottom then the top in fact. I am frustrated also by the fact that 3 or 4 people who happen to be here on RC Tech are making all the decisions on what will be allowed. I know for a fact that 1 and probably 2 more guys think the tire allowance should be expanded, but they arent computer people so apparently they dont have a say. Chris you werent even at the TZ race you have raced 1 race, dont get Butt Hurt misreading my post thinking I am claiming to be Dave JR or something! Has anyone spoke to Jim Staggs about what he thinks? Or Richard ? Or Scott? or anyone else who has a car in this class? We had at least 10 cars at the first race so lets see................................

Jacko Rob and Chris say no tire change. I would like some allowances for tires, thats only 4 of us here what about the other 6 guys? anyone care what they think?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Given the choice, I'd expand to include the HPI slicks. Given the choice that is.

Jacko
Old 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Victor Vector
Given the choice, I'd expand to include the HPI slicks. Given the choice that is.

Jacko
Granted we are talking Elec T/A, but we had 1 car run the slicks last Sunday, not convinced of a huge advantage, but we will see, I think it really comes down to setup and driving style, as in smooth and buttery.

However you guys may be overpowering the tires, and slicks may be the answer, can you guys detune the engines even more to produce les power? might be a trick, get so as to stop wheel spin and start carrying more smooth corner speed?

Kinda watching how things go with you and the Gas T/A.

Mike Crosier

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.