Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC RACERS NOT FLYERS

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 PM
Tech Addict

Two awesome days of flying the Stryker. Almost put it in the west tree's at Marymoore during lunch yesterday, it was kind of overcast & gray and I got a little low... too low.. looping and swooping way out of sight near the ground really increases the pucker factor...
Also witnessed a LiPo battery blowup in the air!! it was very loud at a couple of hundred feet away. No one got hurt, even plane survied relitivly unskathed. The battery hatch door blow off, but the fellow was running his radio off a different battery pack so he could bring it down in a semi controlled fashion.
Not something I would want to be anywhere near when it happens.

Today it was all blue sky and clean flying, good times.

Saturday it's Nitro in Tacoma.

See you there!
Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Exterminator
Do you use a tach. to set your head speed on the trex?
If not how do you know if its right?
Is your trex tuned so that you almost don't have to touch the stick when it's in steady hover?
Just looking for some insite on tuning.
Also do you use any mixing of the channels on the radio?
I used an inexpensive digital tach (one that you just hold under the rotor disc while it's spinning on the ground) for a while to check the rotor speed. But now I just have the headspeed as high as possible . If you tell me your setup I can give you a recommendation on where to start the main settings. A cheap tach can be a very helpful tuning tool for mini and micro helis, this is the one I have http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...?ProdID=HAN156 . It's a nice tool to have to know where your headspeed is at and know how changes to your esc settings and such affected the HS. So if you dont mind spending a little bit of money, pick one up, I think it will do you good over time.

I have my trex set up pretty aggressive and responsive, so it requires quite constant correction in a hover. When you have weights on the flybar and less responsive cyclic throws and longer blades, the heli is much more stable. It's also more responsive with my headspeed over 3000 rpm.

No extra mixing channels are needed really. A bunch of the mixing functions on the radios such as Revo mixing are for rate gyros (not heading hold) and would add more pitch to the tail in hard collective movements to help keep it inline. Don't worry about any of the mixes though, you're likely just to tune yourself out. Hope this helps answer some questions .
Old 03-30-2007, 12:57 AM
Tech Master

I'd just like to add that I'm really glad this thread basically turned into another heli/plane thread. This forum really did need another one .
Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Thanks for the tip, going to pick up one of those tachs. The Venom 3DXL has a knob on the radio for adjusting head speed, going to play with that once the tach comes.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 AM
Tech Regular

OOOOHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! SOMEONE IS TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING IM NOT INTERESTED IN!!!!! BUT I STILL HAVE TO CLICK IT SO I HAVE SOMETHING TO BITCH ABOUT!!!!! NNNNOOOOooooOOOOooooOOOOO!!!! Frickin Tool...sheesh...

Junkman- I think I have about 5 times as many flights on my hopped up stryker this year as I have on my competition planes...haha... those are tooo much fun!

Its nice to see after a season off, there are still whiny snively little bitches in here...LMAO

Somebody call the WAAAAAAMBULANCE for drive shaft, he needs the SHAFT removed from his....."insert imagination here"
Old 03-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by BrettBowen
Its nice to see after a season off, there are still whiny snively little bitches in here...LMAO
Hey! I am not!
Old 03-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Junkman
the DX-6 is only rated for parkflyers, the stryker brushless has the capibility to outrange the DX6.
I would do the DX7 with the 6100 receiver (smaller & should fit better in the stryker).

Ahh good call, didnt think about the brushless... Saweet good thing I mentioned it here. DX7 is like $100 more but worth it for sure

Nice

Thanks again

Chris