Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northwest Racers
ROAR goes to 4cell... What will tracks do? >

ROAR goes to 4cell... What will tracks do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR goes to 4cell... What will tracks do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 01:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default ROAR goes to 4cell... What will tracks do?

local tracks are at the demand of their customers. it it obviously good to try and stick close to ROAR rules (as much as i hate to say it) since it is the governing body that organizes our national and regional events here in the US. So what are the local clubs going to do? switch to 4cell or stay with 6cell for all TC classes

maybe some opinions from the racers so that club orgnizers and track owners can get a feel for what the masses want to see happen. any maybe some input from the track owners and organizers at to what they want to see happen..

Old 11-25-2006, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

If I can get to the track tomorrow, I am going to try some 4 cell testing.

Don't know how deep I'll get into it because it will obviously take some re-aranging of electronics to maintain the balance of the cars. I don't want to spend a bunch of time screwing around right now.

I think its worth a shot trying it at least. If it doesn't work that well, then we don't have to run it.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Tech Legend

Guess the turtles have a issue to ponder....

they always say slower is faster ......

now

its

time for them to go even slower than the silver can racer`s .....

or start

racing
mod.....

Ooooooo !!! Man !!!
Old 11-25-2006, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

i think this only apply's to mod there turtle lover...
Old 11-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Tech Legend

You Dummy ...

4 cell

Its for all the class`s in Sedan ....

Yup 4 cell 27T is now officially gona become turtle free....
Old 11-25-2006, 03:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

My thoughts are the local tracks will do whatever is best for their club racers. The percentage of people who club race and attend national races is very small in my view. Most club racers don't even consider going to national events thinking they are not good enough, which is a shame.

I would be more curious to see what the large national races like IIC, Snowbirds, Novak, US Indoor Champs, etc that are not ROAR sanctioned races. If ROAR goes 4 or 5-cell will they follow.

In one thought, 4-cell sounds attractive because the batteries will cost less, motor wear will be less (arguable). However from reading the posts in the on-road forum thread it sounds like the battery war would double. At the highest level of compeition you will need more fresh packs with high numbers to compete.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

at the recent japan nats the drivers used a new pack every run.
Old 11-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
You Dummy ...

4 cell

Its for all the class`s in Sedan ....

Yup 4 cell 27T is now officially gona become turtle free....
hey smart guy, your brushless crusade is over with ROAR going to 4cell
Old 11-25-2006, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by peter_robinson
at the recent japan nats the drivers used a new pack every run.
Why did they need to do that?

I don't really care either way. But at least its worth a try...
Old 11-25-2006, 05:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by PitCrew
Why did they need to do that?

I don't really care either way. But at least its worth a try...
CJ, go to the on-road forum and read the 4-cell and 5-cell threads going on in there right now.

The quick answer is with mod and 4-cell there is a very high chance of dumping the pack at the end of the run. When you dump a pack on the track it damages the pack resulting in less runtime on the next charge. Since with 4-cell runtime is absolutely crucial they are running fresh packs every run to get the most.

With that said, this of course at the highest level of racing. Running 4 or 5-cell in stock or 19t obviously will not be as much as a issue.

I'll bring my 1/12 batts tomorrow and let's see what kind of runtime we can get in 19t or mod.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I will go 4 cell ,6 cell or LIPO ... I just want to race.

at least with 4 cell I won't spend all my time watching my batteries Discharge after a run and heating up the bench.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skruger
I will go 4 cell ,6 cell or LIPO ... I just want to race.

at least with 4 cell I won't spend all my time watching my batteries Discharge after a run and heating up the bench.
Well if they go 4-cell LIPO is dead since they don't make a 4.8v LIPO pack.

If you are running stock or 19t chances are you will still be discharging quite a bit. If you are worried about damaging the packs with heat like I was, get a better discharger like the MuchMore CTX-D2. 30amp pulse with auto cutoff and fans so the packs come off barely warm.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:36 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

ocal tracks are at the demand of their customers. it it obviously good to try and stick close to ROAR rules (as much as i hate to say it) since it is the governing body that organizes our national and regional events here in the US. So what are the local clubs going to do? switch to 4cell or stay with 6cell for all TC classes

maybe some opinions from the racers so that club orgnizers and track owners can get a feel for what the masses want to see happen. any maybe some input from the track owners and organizers at to what they want to see happen..
I haven't read the thread or anything about it, is ROAR still "thinking" about it, or is this actually going to happen for all classes and not just modified?

I think this is a bad idea in general. Most tracks will do what the racers want, and I'm assuming at this point but I don't think anyone really wants to run 4 or 5 cell stock sedan. So we'll still have open stock 6 cell, BUT there are going to be guys wanting to be able to compete on the ROAR race level so we'll need another class for those who want to run 4 or 5 cell open stock. So instead of having one stock class we can barely fill we'll have two? Great.

As for it happening just to the modified class, I think its still a bad idea. Open mod is basically the factory class, its where the factory best are supposed to compete and where the technology is put to it's limit. If the current batteries are blowing up electronics, well then the electronics need to advance to handle the batteries. At it's current state if a racer is going through a couple of speedos per race I don't think it should be an issue since in modified the factory sponsors should be picking up the tab. You really should not see many independants racing in mod unless they are guys with big bucks to support their own race team (like in other professional racing.) Top fuel dragsters can go through piston sets and crankshafts during a race weekend but you do not see a call for anyone to reduce the nitro content of the fuel.

I think it comes down to a show of hands at the track. If the majority of racers want this to happen it will gain popularity at the local club level. If not, its just going to be another ROAR rule we all bitch about.
Old 11-25-2006, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
If you are worried about damaging the packs with heat like I was, get a better discharger like the MuchMore CTX-D2. 30amp pulse with auto cutoff and fans so the packs come off barely warm.

I was just Kidding I have my indy 0-30 and it works just fine for me.

But how many NEW people want to buy a $50.00 to $100.00 Discharger.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

a 4 cell MINI cooper

If the current batteries are blowing up electronics
By going to 4 cells that means that the amp draw in the MOSFETS will have go up higher in order to keep the speed up BAD for the mosfets..

note: if the car takes 95 watts to run at 30 mph on the track then
95w/7.2V=13.194 amps constant
95w/4.8V=19.791 amps to keep up to same speed ( not counting reduced weight because it is a very minimal difference)
the MOSFETS will run 33% hotter (not a good thing)

the auto industry went from 6 volts to 12 volts in the 1940's to reduce amp draw on the starter motor (copper wire can only handle so much current per square inch of surface area)..

This will just make more electronics FAIL (does not make sence to me)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.