Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dave Mapston

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 07:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

This was my first real paint job from way back in the day. Dave helped me allot w/ this. He even sold me his air brush that I painted it w/. And I still have it. I wont ever get rid of this bod. I don't think that I would have ever got into racing if it weren't for him.

RIP Dave. We all miss you.
Attached Thumbnails Dave Mapston-old-gt.jpg  
Old 10-24-2006, 10:20 PM
Tech Initiate

I saw fear in matt's eyes when I chased him with that mouse. It was a great track. thanks to all who showed up thursday night to help. BTW I personally love false starts. cause i was in the gas truck race from hell and got stuck on the first start and flamed out on the second restart. climbed up to 7th and then heard... LES...LES...Damon....Damon....shut em down. but i was just having a blast so it didn't matter. cpu's aren't and never will be perfect. maybe some people were not cornermarshalling fast enough so dave sent down a comp. glitch? lol. we all need to remember what it is all about. and try harder to do more for OUR hobby. and be careful what we say on the internet. run skip run
Old 10-24-2006, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Just for general knowledge to the RC community... I was hear RD'ing at RainCity and was then asked if I ever did it professionally, My answer was no, but I will, and that is how I got hooked up with Spokane.

I Love Rd'ing, especially the 1/8ths and the Truggies, and I know you can hear it when I call, because I get just as pumped as most of the drivers on that stand.

Further more, I am new to the job, and I appoligize for anything I may have done wrong (not that I feel I have) but I am learning, and I learned a few new things this weekend.

I'm not a huge fan of autoscore, and this is known, its a decent program, but it was created out of nicessity, like the green screen apples... but now that RC has evolved, its time to start using a program that is more updateable, more user friendly and more with the times of 200+ racers. Just my 2 cents.

Anyways I wanted to say that I had a blast, and it was awsome that you guys do this out of respect for a fellow racer's memory... I will always be involved with anything the Spokane guys want from me, they are a great group of racers.

B
Old 10-25-2006, 01:06 AM
Tech Initiate

we all need to remember what it is all about. and try harder to do more for OUR hobby.

EXACTLY!!!!!!

and BTW you guys that are cryn about this race and how it was run or the rd....

you really should get a life.and it's rc BTW...
things happen and your not perfect either..

hey mitchell!!! remember when this hobby was fun

now it's full of heros and ppl that aren't happy without a crisis in thier life
Old 10-25-2006, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey just a quick question,
What can I do to do more for our hobby?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:34 PM
Tech Adept

Awesome Race Event ! ! !

Congrat's to all of the winners and the track crew who made it happen !!!

Too bad they didn't have a "BIG AIR" contest for the big jump - I had it in the bag for sure !

my 2 cents about the racemay as well, even though everybody else has bashed away-even people who weren't even there )

Computer - ya never know what will happen...
Race Director - hmm, He is the ONE controlling the race. Period. Not much announcing during the races, though he did call the time good. The race announcer is REQUIRED to pay attention to the race at ALL TIMES !!! Many, many times did I glance up at the announcer stand and see him BS'ing with other people . . . espcially when I got stuck on a tire in 1/8 buggy for 15 seconds before MY pit guy finally had to go out there and rescue me...
I think Bucky is an OK RD, but he HAS TO listen to comments to improve his ability to RD...
Track - Couldn't have been better unless it was bigger

Thanks to everybody who made it happen ! ! !

Everybody remember . . . This was a memorial race to Dave Mapston. His intentions were for everbody to have FUN, FUN, FUN ! I and think everybody did !

Thanks and see ya next year !

p.s Bucky, if you need any practice on RD'ing, you can come to Peel-It anytime and run races for me and I'll teach you the "dark side" of RD'ing . . . lol
Old 10-25-2006, 01:48 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Glad you had a good time Mike. It was nice too see you again. Thanks for the suggestions, witten in a positive way! Now thats how you do it. See ya soon
Old 10-25-2006, 02:40 PM
Tech Regular

I appreciate it Mike, thaks for the tips, I can't get anybetter if I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Bucky, thanks for listening when I was explaining the way we are used to the mains being ordered. I, as well as all the racer, appreciate you changing them.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I had a blast at this race. it was my first race in three mounths and it was fun. this was my first time I raced the mapston and I have to say even with the problems I had and the RD with the computer and what not I loved it and cant wait tell next year so I can come back and have some more fun.

PS thanks to all the guys that helped me out and I hope to see you all next year at the start of race sessone.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Guy's, I am one of the two race diretors for the Largest races that western Canada has seen in recent memories. there was 230 entries at the last race I was the RD for. Guess what? We had computer issues as well. Not anything like the Mapston though.

I feel Bucky is taking a bad rap for what happened with alot of this race. Were there low spot's? Sure there was. Will they be taken care of for next year? For the most part, yes they will be. You will never have a "perfect" race. I think the whole crew did an outstanding job of rolling with the punches and making the best of what happened. The Spokane crew definatley put alot of work into this race and it did show.

The track was just stupid. Traction was huge if you had "THE" tire. It was a very smooth track and it stayed like that the entire event. Very flowing track as well, that definatley tested the drivers ability in setup and skill.

I'm looking forward to next year already.

And on a Personal note, Jammin Crew, a huge thanks goes to you guys. With out the help, I wouldn't have even run after we drove all the way down. Dinner was great on Saturday too, with you guys and the Kyosho team anda few others.

Can't wait until the Canadian Winter National's on March 2,3,4 2007.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Default what you can do

start by helping others as much as possible. make sacrifices for those who are new to the hobby. i can't stand it when people don't REALLY cornermarshall. take pride in your ability to do so. we need to give out a reward at the end of each race for the person who is the best at watching their section of track. and shun the lazy puke who stands on the side of the track trying to pretend they aren't cornering. when your car gets stuck it should not take more than 5 seconds to get flipped back over. we all crash or get stuck on a tube and shouldn't have to wait 15-20 seconds. check with your local club to see what else you can do for our hobby. race on. come on springtime!!!
Old 10-25-2006, 11:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ron????? Ron who?????
lol