Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Puyallup Race 2003

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 08:35 PM
Regional Moderator

I don't have any exp. with either foams or rubber I just want to know that when I go to another track in region 11 that I will be running the same tire when I go into the spec stock,sportsman or whatever the current name is. When traveling it's much nicer to just pack the car/batts/trans/tools. than have to bring a box of different tires too.
IMO
Old 02-12-2003, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Cherry you won't run your sedan anyway. Why are you even arguing with these "On-Roaders". You will show up twice like you did last summer. Complain all day, then talk sh**, and trash the track for the way they handle a race. its the same old song and dance. Just like electric offroad is getting now. Make up your mind, we all know you will NEVER RUN FOAMS AGAIN. Get over it, there are other people in the "World according to George". Come on out to SARCAR this summer and play with the real big boys and their foam tires.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:42 AM
Tech Fanatic

This is a tough one. For cost purposes, I lean toward the CS rubber tires. Mal is right about them lasting longer than Sorex, for example. I wasn't sure the tradeoff in traction was worth it but I think I've seen the light.

One of the hassles for foams in 19t class is getting someone to true them for you, which might keep some from entering the class. Also, if you run stock and want to do 19t and have no plans to enter full blown mod, your rubber tires can do double duty. As some have said, it's a spec class so why not use a spec tire or limit the tire in some way.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Re: 27 take offs

Originally posted by DEVRO
One thing about the 27 take offs is that those wheels SUCK! I haven't seen tires with that much wobble. Mine are bent to hell. Not that I don't crash or anything its just nice to have "fairly" straight tires. I don't think I would want to buy another set of those tires. I 'll stick to mouinting and gluing my fingers together on my own. At least I can get the glue off my fingers. Still can't get those damn wheels strait. As far as foams go. I haven't really raced a whole lot with them. Since the only class has been mod which has not really existed lately. I wouldn't mind trying foams though. So as far as tires go for 19t I don't really care. We will all be dealing with the same thing. So whatever. And if you want some feedback about tire wear with foams. You should ask Marty when he gets back. I know he doesn't cut them down a whole lot and tries to make them last. He runs fast with the 8 and 10 turn motors. At Puyallup he started with a brand new set and says he has alot of races left on them. Maybe ask Trav about tire life that he gets. I think he cuts them down pretty far and races them till they are gone. It would be good to get guys opinions who have currently been using both tires like Peter, Trav and Marty. Those guys opinions are the ones that really matter. They aren't pissy and refuse to use a tire because of bad experiences. They use both and are competitive with both. It is interesting to hear what they have to say. Well enough for now. Time to go racing. Speed 'em all!
now devin,

tell them how much bent rims matter after you saw the ones on my car last night,

that's right... run them anyway

peter
Old 02-13-2003, 10:36 AM
Mal

I'm not saying foam tires are bad, they just have a very steep learning curve.

Foam tires are very high maintanence in my opinion. You can't walk into a store, buy a set of foams, slap them on your car and race . You will need to find a truer, find out how to use it, find out what size to true them at and find out what your gearing will be (Which will be changing as the tires get smaller).

My whole argument isn't to get rid of all foam classes. Keep foams in the expert classes like mod. Spec classes are for intermediate people and the budget conscious. Sure foams may last for an expert driver because they're not hitting things. An intermediate driver is more likely to hit something and chuck those foam tires.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:41 PM
Tech Master

I think Mal just broke it down as good as it can be done right there.....youd be hard pressed to argue with those points and make sense...
Old 02-13-2003, 05:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

I agree with ya Mal. Good points. I think you are on the right track. We should make it EASY for someone to get into 19t it. It isn't like we are overflowing with cars every week. As far as the Take off tire or "spec" tire I would rather not see us all have to use one set of tires. Some of our cars work differently with different tires and I think the only real limit to 19t should be just that, a 19 turn motor. You start getting too many rules and get too many opinions for changing them. So as of now here is where I stand. Yes to rubbers. No to a spec tire. Either way foam, rubber or spec tire I will continue to run the class
And Peter your car was fast. Bent wheels and all. I wish I could have gotten a qualifier in to get up to try and race with you in the main. I spent the whole time trying to pass Eric and Sean cleanly. I think my car was definately fast. I just wasn't ready to put on the cow catcher on yet! Oh well it was fun racing with ya Sean. I couldn't believe I could follow you that close and not crash into you. That was one of my best driving races I think.
Old 02-13-2003, 07:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

as far as i know... the only thing spec about 19t, is the turn, the wind, the timing.

i don't think that there have been any races where they have run 19t as a "spec" class.

spec class to me means, spec brushes, tires, and obviously motor.

so i guess i don't know why people are refering to it as 19t "spec"...?

sorry this is coming from someone who followed the utimate spec program for years...Tamiya TCS (everybody runs the same car, same motor, same tire, same battery, same battery conector, same gearing, same... you get the idea LOL )

peter