Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Logi Maker
  • 2 Post By R3VoLuTiOn

RC Racers Unite to Build a Better Hobby

Old 05-16-2019, 12:34 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default RC Racers Unite to Build a Better Hobby

Hello to all you awesome RC people of the track, street, dirt, and rocks! Iíve been thinking about this for months now and thought Iíd finally spend some time writing this. (Got surgery and Iím bored)

Something is missing in the rc world. We can fight it and love our hobby and let it go as it is, but deep down we all know it should be bigger. (Yes, it is about the size, thereís no way around it, sorry guys) Iím not talking scale here, Iím talking about the racing, the lights, the glory, the fans, and the business.

Indy racing, rally racing, and street racing are just a few ways that the world over has enjoyed racing. But thereís still a problem there. Little Joey canít go hop in a million dollar racecar on his saturday after breakfast and practice. Not even Big Joe can do that. But they can pick up that FlySky controller, pop in that GensAce and roar around the track.... except lately they canít.

I live in Washington state, a few of our tracks have closed and a lot of our stores have too. The closest hobby shop is 35 minutes away from me. The closest track is 40. The closest dirt course is about 2 hours. I race with friends at the local parks. We would LOVE to race on a track, but we just canít drive 2 hours to ours.

But we can build our own tracks right? Ok fine, you got me there. But whereís the fun if thereís no competition? This is where the industry needs more push.

Tracks close because thereís no money.

No money because no racers.

Hereís where I see the vicious loop coming into play...

No racers make them the close, but with few racers comes little competition.

Competitive spirit fuels the business, the more racers the better you have to be to win. You have to practice more, tinker more, have the latest equipment to be the best... all of that means more money for the business which equals more advertisement, more racers, more competition, and more money.

But no racers, no competition, no need to upgrade or practice. No need to spend money at the track. Or even no fun racing at the track. (Not that Iím saying itís not fun, but we all agree that being neck and neck with the adrenaline pumping is even better)

What builds competition? Lots of guys comparing... wait wait wait not that. I mean yes that, but not that. Awards! Prizes! A goal! More than a sheet of paper or a cheap placard. If your track offered a race in one month and winner got $1k or a free Associated B74 how many guys and girls would show up practicing more than ever? Iíll tell ya now itíll be more than are trying for that placard. But if youíre offering a big prize 2 things come to mind. It canít be gambling for legal reasons, so you canít charge an entry fee to the race itself (But practice days are total up to charge) but you can use qualifying laps to pull out jimmy whoís trying to win in lap one of his life. Also if youíre offering a lot, then you need a lot.... we need people.... we need ADVERTISEMENT!

On top of that whereís the advertisement?! A traxxas commercial on nickelodeons nick at nite pushing parents into the hobby could fuel it further. Why donít we see that? A 35 mph slash popping on screen instead of the newest skin lotion will catch the eyes of the 25 year old much quicker.

Letís jump to another point, we need racing redone. Or at least a different league of rules. Thereís way to much watching and waiting on race day. Still working on my idea here.

I see so much potential but so little use of it for so long.

Why I?m Worried About our RC Hobby, and Why You Should be Too - The RCNetwork

Hereís one guy whoís worried too, for valid reasons.

Iíve got a rough plan, but itís a plan. We need a fresh track, a new set of racing rules, ACTUAL AWARDS FOR WINNING, a cheap starting car (Hello Associated, we need a starter car that doesnít cost an arm and a leg for people wanting to get into it), rentable cars and batteries, and a nice team of dedicated people who believe in the rc racing world. This includes:

Track managers

Knowledgeable Enthusiasts to help new comers

Racers to build competition

Advertisers

Investors

If you are as interested and dedicated to build this community to what it really deserves to be, like me, then letís do it together! Letís start this in the northwest and spread. If you live in the washington area letís work together and build this centuryís racing pastime!

(Sorry about formatting, used my docs app to write it)

-Shnoo
Old 05-16-2019, 09:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

So you don't race and want to fix racing? I don't get it..

The PNW scene is flourishing right now and it the best it has been in years... DieHard is crushing entry count and the NCT and Wilde races are featuring incredible turnouts, 1/8 nitro is STRONG.... there is no excuse to not find quality racing in the region and in local Canada...

kchura likes this.
Old 05-16-2019, 09:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Oh and RC Tech is rarely used except for browsing and for sale threads... LOL
Old 05-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

What I think I've learned over the years:

The key to grow RC racing is to go out to race, socialize, and support the local shops when you can. Online is great, and so is local, for their own reasons.

Everyone has an idea, but a lot of times might not realize that it was done before and succeeded leading to where we are now / failed and left in the past. It sounds cheesy but we're all here to be friends too, not just racers. The group will succeed better when we enjoy each others time and input, working together. Cliquey racer groups and brand arrogance / superiority don't help.

We live in an amazing part of the world where we have freedom to take on any number of hobbies and take part in endless weekend indoor and outdoor activities. This is what I believe is the biggest challenge when trying to grow the sport/hobby.

Just enjoy what is around now by supporting it, bring a friend or two, share it on social media, and hopefully it'll get to what you want it to be eventually. A lot of clubs grow tired and need new energy, ideas and support - be this and input your ideas then.

+edit: Winning is great and all, but there can only be one. Some guys just want to improve or have fun, which is all that should matter.
kchura and JeffofSpace like this.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

I love people who jump down my throat telling me Iím wrong without even putting in a piece of there own thoughts.

Anyway! Yeah I understand the racing scene as it is, In just saying there are lots of rc companies that Iíve watched slowly go under because of lack of support.

Theres lots of friends Iíve introduced to the rc world who never even knew it existed. Iíve been told by a handful of older guys that they thought rcs were just for kids and had no idea such a thing was around. The lack of advertising surprises me. The lack of pushing into the market that is. Watch kids tv for a day and tell me how many Lego commercials you see, itís ridiculous!

The lack of advertisement and awards/prizes/reasons for winning surprise me too. Thereís no lasting excitement from a win. Maybe thatís just me, I donít know.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Just to put something into perspective, we have numerous threads like these throughout RCtech, be it talking about the hobby dying, tracks closing, ideas to resurrect the hobby, what classes killed the hobby etc. etc.

As such take it with a grain of salt, but the many have become tired of these threads, because we see them come and go....without anything happening or a resolution

With that being said, perhaps the minority actually races (myself included), the majority probably bash. But as stated, for those that race, we are well aware of what is going on, to further state, a few may complain about the hobby, or their classes dying out, but very few of those that do, come to the track, come to races, and not to mention it just becomes talk. The biggest difference at the track, is not just to be a paying club member, but actually show up for Track maintenance, Repairs and Meetings.

So please understand that we have these threads over and over again, so if you do not get the response you are seeking, or the answers you want, well that is why.

Just a clarification.

Last edited by 1/8 IC Fan; 05-16-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: wording
Old 05-16-2019, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

Makes sense. I understand. Any explanation to the lack of advertising by companies like Associated, Traxxas, and Axial? At least in my eyes if they advertised theyíd make more sales, demand would increase, supply would increase, parts supply would increase, and prices may become more reasonable.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Shnoo. I wish you luck. You won't find much help in PNW.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SC Shaun View Post
Shnoo. I wish you luck. You won't find much help in PNW.
Yeah seems like it, but I guess whenís a niche hobby you wind up with a bunch of people who donít like change or new people and thatís why it remains a niche.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shnoo View Post
Makes sense. I understand. Any explanation to the lack of advertising by companies like Associated, Traxxas, and Axial? At least in my eyes if they advertised theyíd make more sales, demand would increase, supply would increase, parts supply would increase, and prices may become more reasonable.
The hobby has always been a niche, even at its peak. Traxxas does have commercials. They usually run during the off road series they sponsor. Think maybe once saw an Horizon commercial. Though since they are in my state it could have been a local only. Traxxas does itís advertising at events. A demo at an NHRA race with 18,000 on hand. Iíve seen what they can sell in a 3 day weekend.

I would look to the brands to save things.

Iím basically in similar spot. Track closed. The group Iíve been racing with is staying small scale for summer. Better attendance for MiniZ racing then 1/10. Only on road racing happens on day on work.