Wiki Posts
Search

Oval comes to Rain City

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Oval

Come on out Wednesday. Chris Perry has a 1/12 oval and it is wicked fast. I am sure he will run it.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:29 PM

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The oval is indeed a lot of fun. Whatever the class, it looks like it will be a good time for everyone. Touring cars on rubber do real well on it to, so I hope some people show up this week to give it a shot .. open stock touring with six cells should be some close racing.

The silver canned trucks will probably put people to sleep, but I bet it will be some of the closest racing you'll see anywhere.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:45 PM
Tech Master

Can't wait to try it out Friday can't make it Wed. Not sure what to run though the truck body of stock sedan? I guess I will wait and see who shows up.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:24 AM

I think on Friday I will be running stock sedan, the 540 trucks will be fun, but I also want to run something fast .. so perhapes trucks with open stock motors too? They handle pretty well .. open stock speed oval was a lot of fun with it.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

What are you goings running foam or rubber in open stock?
Old 03-22-2006, 10:29 PM

Rubber for the sedans.

It's a lot of fun, fast and tight racing. Tonight was good, I hope we have a chance to do more evening oval action.

I suggested to Debbie tonight that perhapes if enough people are into it we should keep the track oval one week per month, like say the week of the third Wednesday of the month or something so we could have a Wednesday night and Friday night oval .. even series races. A bunch of people are getting pan cars, and it would make it easier for those who can't race on the weekends to get into it and more racing for those who can do both.

If anything the sedans are enough fun to run oval that I would be surprised if there wouldn't be a good amount of interest in running stock or 19T rubber.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Tech Regular

I like WES's idea
Old 03-23-2006, 07:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yessiree, it was definitely a hoot.

And a BIG HUMONGOUS Thank you! to Brian Bodine for the plates at the end of the track. The slamming into the wall and sticking on the ends is pretty much done.
Do have to fix it so there isn't any more "short" cuts.... but I think it was fine. Changed the track dimensions a bit, but will keep it consistent for changing over between layouts. It's great to have so much help and input from everyone. Thank you all for your continuous help and support.

Was very cool to see y'all move up to the challenge and run oval with the touring cars. I know they aren't made for that, but heck, it was a hoot. I think the rubber worked fine and not sure if any more power is needed-stock was fine. But let me know if you have any other ideas.

Good to see Lou come on out. And Justin Gilkison is back from the Army and was nice enough to run the Silver Truck class for me. Yes, the tt-01's were slow-Wes and Justin had the fix on the "slow" factor-but the painted truck bodies made up for that. Guess some gearing is needed. They really looked cool-Matthew and patrick Plueard led the way with their ta-05's... very nice.

Interest in 1/12 oval has started. I'll see what is available. Most oval kits are back ordered. But hey, what about all those 1/12th kits sitting in your boxes?
Lou brought in a couple of ovals to sell. Come check em out. RTR and in great shape.
thank you all for coming out. It's happening again on Friday and Saturday. Sunday will be practice again and then the track will change back to road course on Tues. Probably a new layout too!
Old 03-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Oval

Originally Posted by Brad_C
I like WES's idea
Wes's idea is only missing one thing ....... Another week of Oval !!!

What about two weeks a month for oval ??
Old 03-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default Idea

I agree with two weeks a month more than Wes's one week a month.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:31 PM

I like my idea the best too, glad to see people are seeing things my way.

I would like to see the track be a road course the majority of the time .. but I'll run whatever is laid down. Gonna hafta get a oval car now though, thanks guys.

I'll put my 12L3 back together and just dremel it into oval car .. you put the batteries on the left side, correct?

Was very cool to see y'all move up to the challenge and run oval with the touring cars. I know they aren't made for that, but heck, it was a hoot. I think the rubber worked fine and not sure if any more power is needed-stock was fine. But let me know if you have any other ideas.
I think the sedans were a lot of fun, they worked really well and it was a blast to drive. I'm for keeping it stock rubber, it's fast enough .. lap times in the 4.2-4.5 range is fast enough. If others want to run mod or 19T, cool, but I'll stay stock. Mod foam would be pretty fun to watch.

I'm second guessing the TT01 silver can concept. It's pathetically slow, even Patrick's tuned ones are just really lame. The truck bodies are cool, but they need to go on something like a stock or 19T sedan.

So I'll bring a extra radio for my TT01 if anyone wants to run it, or knows someone who will want to run it.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Desolas
Patrick's tuned ones are just really lame.

So I'll bring a extra radio for my TT01 if anyone wants to run it, or knows someone who will want to run it.
I did not do any tuning

you just got to get the gearing right like Fred said

and as a SPEC /GT3 style class it is supposed to be that slow ...and This was the first time Matthew felt really good about racing at the Rain so from my point of view I think the SILVERADO CAN class will be a great class for Younger or slower persons .STOCK at the rain is just to fast for the NOVICE/WILD ones class. once we get to the touring track then the driving skills make a HUGE difference..

I was geared at 4.76:1 on a ta05 and Matthew was geared 5.01:1 on a TB-02 tub chassis..I would have geared even lower to a 4.5 or a 4 flat if I had the Pinions to do that
I think if the 540's was on a 2WD chassis thay might go even faster

JUST MY 2cents
Old 03-24-2006, 07:56 AM

I did not do any tuning
Whoops. I need to proof read my posts a little more.

I didn't mean to say "even patrick's tuned one was really lame" I meant to say "Patrick's tuned one made mine look really lame." Slip of the tongue I suppose. By tuning I meant you were just able to dial in your gear ratio and put bearings in the car. The TT01's we've got are just box stock intended for the Figure-8/demo derby .. I'm sure it has potential, but considering my intentions with it I seen no reason to really work on it.

Anyway.

Yeah they are a perfect class for the younger guys or people cutting their teeth on the oval, no doubt about it, which is why I'm offering mine up to run if anyone else wants to bring someone else out (like their kid) who might want to run but is intimidated by trying something faster.

FWIW I had a 24T pinion on mine, which appears to be the largest it will fit unless you can somehow squeeze a 25 in it. Having bushings I think it's it's biggest limiting factor.

Matthew did really well too, he whooped your ass. We had some pretty good battles going on the 22 or 25 times I tried to block his pass. Good times.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Tech Regular

Will any any more people from Mount Vernon come and race oval?

Buckey, Tom, and Chris B are getting cars.

Andrew last night with his touring mod foam car was was crazy fast on the oval. Starting to think I need to run my RDX on the oval.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Tech Adept

weeeeeeee uhhhh weeeeeeeeee uhhhhh weeeeeeeeeee uhhhhh weeeeeee uhhhhhh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.