Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree15Likes

2018 Summer Sizzler--Aug. 11-12, Seatac RC Raceway

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

are their any videos out there of a2 mod?

great race this weekend. lots of close competition all season at this beautiful track. and while a rain out is always disappointing I am super happy we were able to make the best of it and have a great race day.

Thank you everyone who makes this track happen. due to scheduling conflicts that was our last asphalt race south of the border this year. see you on the rug
Old 08-13-2018, 10:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Summer Sizzler 2018 Race Report

Memories grow unreliable over time, and those who might remember from the beginning lose track of the years. It's been over three decades since a Summer Sizzler race for radio controlled cars was first held in the northwest, and it has run continuously every year since. We are only the most recent stewards of the tradition. This is what I'm told.

We originally planned to host a two-day, but the weather on Saturday was looking iffy. I consulted with the Comp Committee on Thursday morning and we agreed that the Saturday forecast was sufficiently uncertain, and Sunday's sufficiently promising, to warrant skipping the first day. As it happens, it was a good call, as there were off and on light showers Saturday afternoon, which would have made for a frustrating race day. Sunday started cool and cloudy, but the sun came through by the second round, and we were in wonderful shape with a near perfect track, committed racers, and plenty of time to work out who was the best.

For touring cars we enjoyed a spec tire this year. The Rush 36, from ActivRC was the pick, and it proved to be a good one. Both Stock and Mod racers were limited to one set for the day, meaning three quals and double mains. For Stock racers, the assignment would have been mild no matter the tire, but for Mod, 30 minutes of running on one set of tires is right at the limit. But the tires held up great, prep was easy, and the racing was tight. No complaints, so I suspect we will turn toward them again next year. Thank you to ActivRC for working with us to secure great tires at a fair price for our racers!

After a hit and miss year for his weekend program, Jesse showed up determined to throw something down in Scale Spec. He has raced with us for a long time, but he has started a family in recent years and is a properly doting dad and husband. Cutting loose is not always easy, but he made the best of the opportunity as he walked away from the field with a convincing TQ and double punch in the mains. The tight battle was between two old friends, Crosier and Clifton, for the second spot. These two may in fact remember past editions of the Sizzler, as they are veterans of the old Fantasy World program, and I believe SARCAR before that. They've put in their time, so it was great to see them having such fun. Clifton topped Crosier this time out.

Stock Touring was Sam's show from start to finish. He has really put it together this summer, showing us the tail of his X-Ray most days out. Sam was TQ and out. I tried, as I had a fast car, but early mistakes in both mains bounced me back, forcing a fight back through the field. I enjoyed some nice nose to tail, first with Crosier, then with Ed and Greg, but the best I could do was third overall. But Crosier! He was a study in putting one's head down and just doing work. He linked up two good runs in the mains to take a deserving, veteran's second place. Not the fast car on the day, only the craftiest and coolest.

Formula One is usually Tveten's to take when he's on the track, and I will say, in the end, the old patterns prevailed. He claimed the top qualifier and main prizes. But Shook was on hand, with a new car and determination to knock Tveten off his perch. In the first main particularly, Brian kept it close right into the final laps, keeping us all in suspense for once as the racing was close right to the wire. We started last time out, with a new format for the F1 class: 4 minute quals, 12 mains with two pit stops. It seemed to work to add a little uncertainty the final running. It wasn't a huge thing, but I'm confident to say it added a little drama.

Modified Touring, what to say? It was the big class of the day, with high quality runners looking to see how much they could take to Harbke, who has been our fastest indoors and out for the past two years. Despite fine efforts from Weylin and Jake, Korey was not to be denied. He is simply faster, more consistent, and on a tighter rail than the rest. And no lie, the rest are very good! When I look at the main results, it's interesting that everyone finished both mains in exactly the same order they qualified. I think it's a testament to how consistent everyone is getting, and how cleanly they race each other, all in all, that it sorts out that way.

The smallest field was Modified 1/12th, which I am happy to say I won, though Stuart took the TQ. I continue to work on my setup, and this time out I had a really good car that allowed me to jump on the throttle harder while also sending it deeper into the turns before hitting the brakes. Yes, brakes on a mod 1/12th car, outdoors on asphalt. That's how good the track is. I know it's a super niche class, almost painfully so, but I will tell you, they work out there, they really do. I'll go so far as to say, on a good day, it's the best Mod 1/12th you'll drive anywhere.

That's it for this year's Summer Sizzler! We had fun, the racing was superb, and the friendships were solid. See you next year.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Q1 Sizzler 2018.pdf (231.2 KB, 36 views)
Q2 Sizzler 2018.pdf (232.4 KB, 34 views)
Q3 Sizzler 2018.pdf (232.5 KB, 38 views)
Mains Sizzler 2018.pdf (440.1 KB, 70 views)
JeffofSpace likes this.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'd like to thank Todd and the SeaTac crew who make this possible, Probable the first time in a long time, As was pointed out by Mr Clifton that I actually stuck it out for the entire program.
Great time had by most. good racing, didn't seem to be very much banging about In the Quals nor the Mains. Pleasurable to say the least..

Job Well Done Todd.
Old 08-14-2018, 07:25 AM
Tech Master

Thanks to everyone who makes this program possible. We are truly spoiled to have such a dialed track to continue our Northwest summer tradition! Any day you get to nerd out with friends is a good day.
bshookup and JeffofSpace like this.