Radio Set up tip

Old 02-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Radio Set up tip

Guys,
Here's something interesting that a buddy and I stumbled across recently that I want to share. I don't use dual rate very much, but my buddy does and discovered a what appeared to be a problem. When turning his d/r down, he found that the end points of the steering limits did not follow proportionally. For instance, if a 12th scale car could turn 2 foot circles at max steering in both directions and then you were to turn the d/r down, you might find that the car might turn a 3 foot circle one way and 4 foot circle the other direction.

Well this seemed like an obvious flaw in the radio. Who would want non-proportional side to side d/r like that? I have always found that when I set my radio up that my end points are not always the same side to side (90% vs 75%), but once set, the car always acted correctly. So thinking this was odd, I thought that I would ask our radio control Team Manager this question.

It turns out, that if you center a servo with "trim" to achieve the mechanical center that you are looking for in your servo arm/saver... you will have uneven end points and this problem will effect the way your d/r acts as you reduce it!

The correct way to set up your servo is to find the least amount of off center to mount your arm/saver and correct it with "sub-trim" to the nearest amount of mechanical center that you can. But first, you must make sure that your steering trim is at "zero". Make sure that your d/r is maxed out. Then set your epa's. You might find that your epa's are much closer percentage-wise then before. With any car, you will have to check all the steering links for equal lengths and a proper length steering rack link. Then use the "trim" to fine tune your car on the track. Now, your d/r will reduce proportionally correct all the way! Maybe as a rule, if you get steering trim more then 5% off of center, you may want to fix some of that through sub-trim. For some reason, the software that is in today's radios do not treat trim and sub-trim as the same, especially involving dual rate.

Check it out, it's worth a look!

Brian
Old 02-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

interesting.....especially considering when using the 3PK I have a nasty habit of moving the Dual/Rate adjustment while in the middle of a race.

Good Tip.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:25 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Brian I agree.....I've learn the trick from Dan Garber....and it works for me
Old 02-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

wow , thank you , ray
Old 02-13-2006, 05:01 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)
Talking

well that is a true statement about the non proportional d/r . You should (asmuch as possible ) use the linkage and your camber wrench to adjust your steering . (been doing it for 4 years) and yes use the subtrim instead if steering trim on radio. also works kinda the same with throttle if you use too much brake or forward in your throttle trim it will make youre trigger disproportionate in relation to the throw of the trigger (even worse than the expo.) my two cents for the day.
later HOUSTON
Old 02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 45 (96%+)

Found this issue quite awhile ago and found it seems to do with the ackerman? I could be wrong but I usually make some adjustments to make up for the diffference in the left and right....
Old 02-26-2006, 07:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Airtronics 3PS - older model

What if you don't have "subtrim" just regular trim?
Old 02-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by houston
well that is my two cents for the day.
later HOUSTON
Does that mean you have no cents now?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

this is something that josh cyrul showed me at the on-raod nats when i was having the same problem... thats why he does not use dual rate and only adjusts the end points on all his cars.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

i found this to be alot of help , next tip ? ray
Old 10-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

noteworthy repeat
Old 10-28-2012, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drillit View Post
noteworthy repeat
If only people would read the owners manual, kinda like the one for street cars so ya can reset the clock twice a year.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Exclamation

WTF's Dual Rape ?
Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 AM
Tech Master

Location: Oreganastan Pacific Wonderland home to Indoor Farming

Fred,Hi, i was figurin some of our past is worth repeating......as for Lynn, well i think he needs to backup n hit it again
Old 10-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Drillit View Post
Fred,Hi, i was figurin some of our past is worth repeating......as for Lynn, well i think he needs to backup n hit it again
Your words of wisdom are always good for a laugh Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.