Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
New Track in Groton/ Waterford CT area feeler >

New Track in Groton/ Waterford CT area feeler

New Track in Groton/ Waterford CT area feeler

Reply

Old 09-17-2015, 07:12 PM
  #1  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default New Track in Groton/ Waterford CT area feeler

Looking in to building an rc track in or around the Groton/Waterford CT area. Before I start anything I need to know somethings.

1. Looking to do indoor carpet outdoor dirt?

2. What scale and style do you want to run? 10th, 8th, or both?

3. Is there enough of a market in that area for a track?

4. Will there be a following big enough for club racing during the week and trophy races during the weekend months?

5. Also is there an interest in flying? maybe even quadcoppter racing.

Will be checking stuff out in the coming months to hopefully be ready to have something for the 2016 summer/winter time. I know there is a lack of rc tracks in this part of CT. that is why I'm looking into building one there.
phathedrc18t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 10:04 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (76)
 
dr_hfuhuhurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,546
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Onroad carpet I would be very interested (12th scale, Mini, F1, TC). Indoor offroad, not as much. I'm in Westchester, NY so that's a 1.5h drive but I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by phathedrc18t View Post
Looking in to building an rc track in or around the Groton/Waterford CT area. Before I start anything I need to know somethings.

1. Looking to do indoor carpet outdoor dirt?

2. What scale and style do you want to run? 10th, 8th, or both?

3. Is there enough of a market in that area for a track?

4. Will there be a following big enough for club racing during the week and trophy races during the weekend months?

5. Also is there an interest in flying? maybe even quadcoppter racing.

Will be checking stuff out in the coming months to hopefully be ready to have something for the 2016 summer/winter time. I know there is a lack of rc tracks in this part of CT. that is why I'm looking into building one there.
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:16 PM
  #3  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default

Talked to my partner we will be doing an off road dirt track on one side and a carpet onroad track on the other side.
phathedrc18t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 05:32 PM
  #4  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (1)
 
KA2AEV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tottenville, NYC
Posts: 2,054
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
Onroad carpet I would be very interested (12th scale, Mini, F1, TC). Indoor offroad, not as much. I'm in Westchester, NY so that's a 1.5h drive but I'd do it in a heartbeat.
Agreed!!! And we're an hour south of the good doctor!
KA2AEV is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:54 PM
  #5  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default

But are you willing to make it out a lot and will more people come if we have an on road carpet track. this is the feedback we need before we start breaking ground
phathedrc18t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 08:00 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (76)
 
dr_hfuhuhurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,546
Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)
Default

Only problem with onroad and dirt in the same space is dust will really be a problem for traction on the carpet side. Carpet off road seems to be gaining popularity here in the US. Might be the best of both worlds.

I will be a regular if there is a regular 12th scale following. My daughter wants to start racing with a mini. And I will be showing my racing to a friend's son soon.
Originally Posted by phathedrc18t View Post
Talked to my partner we will be doing an off road dirt track on one side and a carpet onroad track on the other side.
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:03 PM
  #7  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24
Default

I have raced carpet oval for many years, I you race anything RC I will be there, 15 to 20 minutes from Bozrah, CT would be awesome.
DARYL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:21 PM
  #8  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (13)
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 895
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

You are about an hour from me but I would love to see another AstroTurf track in CT. It is my favorite surface to run on so far
RobsRacin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:05 AM
  #9  
Suspended
Thread Starter
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,052
Trader Rating: 7 (89%+)
Default

Well after watching the worlds me and my partner think a turf off road track and a carpet on road track would be the best thing. Keep the ideas coming.
phathedrc18t is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 09:01 AM
  #10  
Regional Moderator
iTrader: (13)
 
RobsRacin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 895
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by phathedrc18t View Post
Well after watching the worlds me and my partner think a turf off road track and a carpet on road track would be the best thing. Keep the ideas coming.
Indoor or outdoor facility? An indoor turf track would be awesome and something I would love to run on week in and week out
RobsRacin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:34 AM
  #11  
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 24
Default

Happy Holidays, I hope there is some good news about your possible track soon.
DARYL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:19 PM
  #12  
Tech Apprentice
 
magnum_junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 75
Default

1/10 or 1/12 carpet oval racing is my preference. You should make indoor tracks a priority so people can race all year.
Really glad to see something possibly coming to southeastern CT.
I'm sure there would be tons of interest once word gets around.
magnum_junior is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:28 AM
  #13  
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 6
Default

Being from the area I'd love to see a track return. Could visit the family and spend a race day in the area in one trip!

IMHO, Indoor dirt is just messy... But I do love outdoor dirt oval / offroad.
A re-configurable carpet course w/ removable jumps enables TCs and Offroad. I always loved flat oval too.

Having flashbacks to the good ol' parking lot asphalt days when we moved all around Groton to New London to Norwich...
MatW is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service