Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
Island Raceway & Hobby (IRH), Lindenhurst, NY - Indoor Off-Road Track in Long Island >

Island Raceway & Hobby (IRH), Lindenhurst, NY - Indoor Off-Road Track in Long Island

Like Tree29Likes

Island Raceway & Hobby (IRH), Lindenhurst, NY - Indoor Off-Road Track in Long Island

Old 10-31-2018, 10:10 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hi Mark!
Old 10-31-2018, 11:12 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 377 (100%+)

Online ordering kills tracks , if u want a place to race commit to buying from your track/ hobby shop . Kits are cheaper on line but u can’t race online . Pick your poison, of course the track will be a bit more to buy from but at the end of the day the track will be able to stay afloat and keep a place for u to play . It’s a classic example of racers shooting themselves in the foot every time . Yo bro I saved $25 by ordering my new car on line ! Oh wait what happened ? Why is track closed ? Duhhh
Old 10-31-2018, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

delete

Last edited by Tamiyadan; 04-17-2019 at 08:23 AM.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Jiml – thank you for the insight. And yes, I’m afraid we’re going through a slow death unless something drastic happens to revitalize the RC scene and it’s not going to be a one man’s job but will take the effort of many.

I think these are the some of the forces at play:

1. The mom and pop shop are at the core of RC industry and is the glue that is holding the infrastructure together. When they fall…the whole industry will suffer. Mom and pop shop simply cannot compete with Amazon, RCMart, Amain, HobbyKing at the same price point. Taking away their retail sale only leaves them with track revenue which is meager. If they raise the price on racing…people will drop out. It’s a vicious cycle with no simple answers.

2. RC used market is not helping with retail either. Many frugal racers choose to buy used to save 50% or more...sure why not. Many sell used at local tracks further crippling the retail side.

3. Entry barrier. RC racing has a steep learning curve. New generation of race buggies have way too much setup options. It’s great for the racers but for a newb it’s confusing as hell and discouraging at best. People just have short attention span these days. Keep it simple like Apple. But on the flip side, this can also be a good thing because if it’s simple; you master it and drop out. Because RC is challenging it has holding power and keep people interested longer and in some cases, addiction. What think needs to happen is to create a healthy support community for the new racers. It’s already happening to a degree, I watch a lot of youtube channels on RC and it helped me tremendously to stay connected and to learn.

4. Change of Time. People’s interested change. The new generation doesn’t have the same fascination with RC as the older generation. Maybe it’s due to lack exposure or something else...I dunno but clearly ipad and video games are winning.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

I wonder if the basher community is growing larger or smaller now? All racers are bashers at one point – so that’s the demographic that you need to target. My instinct tells me that it’s growing larger because Chinese made it affordable. There is hope if the basher community is indeed growing larger. The hard part is figuring out how to convert them to racers.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Regular

I don’t know what compels me to write all this and taking time away from work but I love this hobby and I hate to see it all go away one day. As is, I have to travel 1-2hours just to play with my RC…and it pisses me off. I don’t want this to turn into a rural pastime. As is, we are an extremely small community and we should look after each other. If a new track do eventually opens, we should all chip-in, in our own ways to make sure that it succeed and not succumb to the change to time.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnzhou2476
I wonder if the basher community is growing larger or smaller now? All racers are bashers at one point – so that’s the demographic that you need to target. My instinct tells me that it’s growing larger because Chinese made it affordable. There is hope if the basher community is indeed growing larger. The hard part is figuring out how to convert them to racers.
Bashers love the "Run what you Brung" class, before they get converted to racers....I was a Nikko basher for almost three years before I got into racing.....
Old 11-05-2018, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnzhou2476
Jiml – thank you for the insight. And yes, I’m afraid we’re going through a slow death unless something drastic happens to revitalize the RC scene and it’s not going to be a one man’s job but will take the effort of many.

I think these are the some of the forces at play:

1. The mom and pop shop are at the core of RC industry and is the glue that is holding the infrastructure together. When they fall…the whole industry will suffer. Mom and pop shop simply cannot compete with Amazon, RCMart, Amain, HobbyKing at the same price point. Taking away their retail sale only leaves them with track revenue which is meager. If they raise the price on racing…people will drop out. It’s a vicious cycle with no simple answers.

2. RC used market is not helping with retail either. Many frugal racers choose to buy used to save 50% or more...sure why not. Many sell used at local tracks further crippling the retail side.

3. Entry barrier. RC racing has a steep learning curve. New generation of race buggies have way too much setup options. It’s great for the racers but for a newb it’s confusing as hell and discouraging at best. People just have short attention span these days. Keep it simple like Apple. But on the flip side, this can also be a good thing because if it’s simple; you master it and drop out. Because RC is challenging it has holding power and keep people interested longer and in some cases, addiction. What think needs to happen is to create a healthy support community for the new racers. It’s already happening to a degree, I watch a lot of youtube channels on RC and it helped me tremendously to stay connected and to learn.

4. Change of Time. People’s interested change. The new generation doesn’t have the same fascination with RC as the older generation. Maybe it’s due to lack exposure or something else...I dunno but clearly ipad and video games are winning.

I'm going to go out and say what I need to say being on both sides of this.
1. Local hobby Shops are not making their money on sales. Yes it helps to buy local, but if your lhs doesn't/ or won't carry a brand then you have to go online for it. As far as keeping the hobby shop alive, most make their money on club racing. You get more people to club race the better off they will be. It's nice to have trophy events or huge 3 day events but that is not what helps this hobby. Most of those 3 day events cost the hobby shop more to put on then it does for us race.

2. What better way to get into the hobby then the used market? Not a lot of families can afford the entry into racing.

3. Learning curve. I think hobby shops should try and have a sportsmen/ novice class at every club race. To help the new people learn the hobby. Or have hobby shops trying to sell to the new guy what the top A main mod guys have for gear. Nothing is going to kill you wanting to be a part of this hobby when you go buy all the most expensive gear and the fastest motor only to find out you can't get in the a or come close to finishing a race. Having a night during the week to have driver training to help young and old how stuff works and what a drive line is, is a huge help. Teach them when to pass and when not to pass. Teach them about ifmar qualifying. SLOW IS FAST.

4. Yes video games and i pods are to blame but as pa rents its our job to get them off that stuff. My 7 year old daughter loves going to the track with and wants to start racing soon.
With her birthday and x-mass coming I'm going to get her, her 1st buggy. We need to make it fun. I have seen grown men act like babies. This a hobby for fun. Stay away from being negative on social media. That will damage the rep of a Hobby shop quick. Plus rules. They have them for a reason. As racers and hobby shop owners we need to enforce them
johnzhou2476 likes this.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:34 AM
Tech Rookie

Just wondering if there is any update on a new track on Long Island.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jsammut
Rumor is it is in the process . I heard it is going to be a turf track at an old roller skating rink but no confirmation on that ......
Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jsammut
You probably won't hear anything until they're ready to open.

If I had to guess, and this is pure speculation on my part, won't be until summer.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Tech Regular

delete

Last edited by Tamiyadan; 04-17-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:25 AM
Tech Lord

No, there's an abandoned roller rink in Bay Shore on Sunrise Hwy. But last time I went by it work was going on to renovate it into something else. And not an RC track.
Old 01-29-2019, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

delete

Last edited by Tamiyadan; 04-17-2019 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:29 AM
Tech Lord

We must be talking about different places. The place I'm talking about has never been renovated, and is currently boarded up.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.