Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT. >

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Like Tree21Likes

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by novak12
Noooooo please don't ruin mod stadium truck with a stock class.. Already ruined mod shortcourse and mod buggy.. Anyone around for mod buggy on weds?
Waaaahhhh! Maybe I'll just leave it home then If I had a good 10.5 I'd drop it in. More than that and it's just wheelspin and/or glazed slipper pads on the indoor track.

Last edited by trevcoll; 03-12-2014 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by joebusa
Who's racing what tomorrow any stadium trucks 4x4 buggy any mod buggy ?
My kid always has his mod ST with him, he'll run it if there's enough for a class.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by joebusa
Who's racing what tomorrow any stadium trucks 4x4 buggy any mod buggy ?
4wd buggy and 2wd mod buggy for me. Just got done with my b5 last night. Build was awesome. electronics were tight and not ideally the way I want it for the long term, but, it will do for now.

Originally Posted by novak12
Noooooo please don't ruin mod stadium truck with a stock class.. Already ruined mod shortcourse and mod buggy.. Anyone around for mod buggy on weds?
+1 I'll preface by saying that I'm not here to bash stock racing. I think it has a place. It helped me to learn to drive smooth laps without crashing. It also has some good, close racing. And yes, the reality is that you may have a higher probability of making the a-main and winning in stock, as many of the sponsored racers and fast guys don't race stock.

However, I always felt like I was chasing the newest electronics or the newest lightened parts to make my car lighter and faster to get that edge over the guy who runs just as clean as me. MIP Pucks system to make your outdrives 50% lighter, sure. Avid Triad Slipper because it's lighter than the VTS and less rotating mass? sure. New Revtech Killshot motor that is the new "legal" hot motor? sure. Next year, it will be the Schuurspeed Nuclear Bomb motor. Now, can you get away racing at CT tracks and not using the latest and greatest and still win? sure. Can you do that at regional races? hmmm, I think a lower chance because of the above.

But, I've realized that cost ends up not being the main factor. It's about guys wanting to finish in the a-main. As a more experienced racer once told me, most guys are average drivers. For someone who doesn't want to be pulling over for the fast guy in mod or always finish in the b-main, then stock racing is a nice option. However, what's the reality here? Even if you finish in the a-main in stock and you've collected your 50th trophy that's now in the man cave, you're still essentially slower than the mod guys. There's always that reality that you're not really the fastest, just the fastest among the average racers.

So, then why race mod? 1. You don't need the latest and greatest electronics to race well. If you get beat in mod, it's because they simply have more skill and better reaction time than you, not because they're running the killshot motor. I'm going to run my 8.5 motor forever and put my money towards tires. 2. finishing in the b-main in mod is actually a very nice accomplishment considering the a-main is typically loaded with sponsored drivers and the fastest guys at the track. When I finished 3rd in the b-main in 4wd buggy at the grand prix, I was perfectly happy, as I qualified with some guys who are faster than me. How I did I do it? I certainly didn't have the new orion VST2 motor. I simply didn't crash and the other guys did. I got lucky. 3. How do you get better? Race with the fastest guys. Where are the fastest guys? In mod.

So, now that my propaganda has been laid down, let's see some guys that I know have the ability to race mod, but choose not to. Yes, I'm calling you guys out. Flame me all you want. I've got flame retardant clothing on.
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

most successful race programs dont have a 17.5 class. i had the fortune to race at a nj dirt off road track (now carpet) and won the 2wd open title with a 17.5 motor.

open class works...
Old 03-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dominick i.
most successful race programs dont have a 17.5 class. i had the fortune to race at a nj dirt off road track (now carpet) and won the 2wd open title with a 17.5 motor.

open class works...
+1. I don't mean to start a stock vs mod debate. I'm merely trying to get more guys at our local track to race mod. I know there are some fast guys in stock who could beat me with their stock motor and beat me racing a mod motor.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Lazer is gone... And with B5 parts availabilty to become solid as of March 31st... I have decided to build my spare kit and run mod.

Phu, though Ur thumbs small and stature short, Ur words are wise and true..
However stock racing is fun and I still have more trophies then you...

To the workbench I go....

"Ducky"
Old 03-12-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Addict

Amazing that mentioning I've got a 13.5 in my ST started off the whole 17.5 vs. mod debate again.

Run what you like to run. If there were no 17.5 buggy class I'd still run run that setup in mod/open. I did it months before there was an official 17.5 buggy class at RCHR and usually finshed well enough to go home happy.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:48 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm planning on putting a 10.5 in my B5 this week so I'll run Mod going forward.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Looks like I'll be a no show for Sun. Work screwed me and I didn't get the day off after all. Figures. When I didn't need to be off, I was. Now that I want to be off, I'm not. But I WILL be coming by the track this Fri around 6pm or so to practice. Guess that will have to do till my next opportunity. Phooey!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by EricW
I'm planning on putting a 10.5 in my B5 this week so I'll run Mod going forward.
Are you running mod in your B5 Sunday?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

First time I got to run on this layout, awesome, flows very well. I would also say great job on the track prep (no dust). Didn't even need to pick my nose on the drive home

Nice run in17.5 Phu fighter
Old 03-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rimracker
First time I got to run on this layout, awesome, flows very well. I would also say great job on the track prep (no dust). Didn't even need to pick my nose on the drive home

Nice run in17.5 Phu fighter
lol, i need that plug for my pit light, like yours. i found some stickers that generate more power for my motor if i shine that pit light on it longer. it reduces my lap times by 0.5 seconds.

seriously though, i'm calling ae to get a new top shaft spacer. apparently i got a defective one. freaking thunder tiger!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Good racing tonight fellas.. Blake nice run in 17.5 buggy.. I gave it a shot but yeaaaaa.. Car was just too slow and didn't enjoy it too much but enjoyed watching you other guys battle it out in some real close racing. Ed thanks for the loaner centro, car handles awesome! John B I'm coming for you in 4wd. I'll be there weds with the new B5 with a mod motor and looks like others will be as well.. Good luck Sunday everyone
Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Hey mike you look good out there with that 17.5 see u next week guys had a good time as always .
Old 03-13-2014, 05:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Guys,

Thanks for coming out to race last night

Reports & Videos on RCHR.BIZ

I forgot to copy the single results file...but all the individual race results are posted.

See you all this weekend for the March Madness Trophy Race!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.