Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT. >

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Like Tree21Likes

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:58 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rimracker
You don't have to sugar the track to run mid. I ran the 22 SCT in mid when it first came out, it took a while to find a setup though. My experience was I thought the truck cornered faster, but was touchy with the throttle inputs. I also had issues with nose down flight characteristics. Not sure if a 4 gear trans provides just enough drag brake effect or it was simply my setup. I stopped running that truck due to steering issues. I know team Loseie guys will swear there are no issues, I have my own opinion.

Of course there is a lot more info out there now. Lots of guys are grinding arms down, swapping left and right arms to get what they are looking for. Funny I don't remember seeing that on the set up sheet. If you like to tune or are a really good driver you can make it work I guess.
I agree it's possible to get mid motor to work, Trevor was unstoppable outside this summer with his mid motor vehicles. But for the people who aren't serious tuners (which I believe is quite high) I would think they'd be more willing to gravitate to a track where the "tuning" would be much easier. Who doesn't like plopping their car down on a track and having traction out the wazzoo without so much as changing tires?

PS. Good to see you posting Rick.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

We run in slicks down here on the Island, its not that bad. Yea we took guess work outa what tire to use, but now we tune the cars rather than switching tires. I'm not a fan of sugar tracks or calcium chloride either. It just burns up tires and rust out your gear. 90% of us are running mid motor. The problem we are facing is when we travel to tracks like RCHR or Wolcott, we have a great deal of changes to make. I myself decided to have a car specifically set aside for your tracks. I'm sure if I had more time, I could've got my mid motor to work. Mid motor is designed for high bite, I really dont see any reason to run that setup up there. You guys have a great track just the way it is, can't wait till the 28th!
Old 12-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 123 (97%+)

Great day of practice... got to shake down the new wheeler and the 2wd buggy....Rchr is a really nice facility, great pit area, and where else can you practice and a yokomo yz10 passes you....

looking forward to a raceday some Saturday night at rchr....
Old 12-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dominick i.
Great day of practice... got to shake down the new wheeler and the 2wd buggy....Rchr is a really nice facility, great pit area, and where else can you practice and a yokomo yz10 passes you....

Yeah!! isn't that annoying when you get passed by a vintage car being driven by a guy with a stick radio? LOL !!!
Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 AM
Suspended

Just wanted to say thanks to John and Ed for braving the weather and making the trip! Hope you guys made it home safe!! I'll see you guys in a couple weeks!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by dominick i.

There's plenty more where that came from

As for all of this mid-motor/sugar/slicks stuff...

I was never a fan of slicks and/or sugar on off-road tracks, but in a broader view, I can see how the never-ending pursuit of traction will lead to this. I can only hope that the next generation of racers doesn't grow up to see the difference between on-road and off-road as the size of the shocks. Considering how most of the mid-motor offerings out there are ambi-motor (i.e., can also go rear motor), I think what we'll see in the northeast will really depend on what the tracks want to do. If one track decides to race with high fructose corn syrup to keep up with the newest fad, maybe that will only last so long after drivers realize how much they're spending on tires. Ultimately, at the club level, if it's too expensive for racers, then it won't last long.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

And let's not forget the toxic dust you create by shaving your tires. That has to be worse than breathing in traction compound fumes.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Ya that was pretty bad sat night lol, No one could breath because john had to make them!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:30 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by redskins
Ya that was pretty bad sat night lol, No one could breath because john had to make them!
I see your signature does specify Kyosho, is it safe to assume you've switched teams again? What are you going to do when the Xrays show up at the shop?
Old 12-09-2013, 12:49 PM
Tech Addict

I think we need to look at all three topics seperately.

Mid Motor is a simply a tuning option. For some cars (Losi, Durango and Kyosho) it's a matter of swaping out a handful of parts. For AE it's more of a commitment, requiring replacement of the chassis and suspension components, regardless of whether you choose to go with X-Factory or Centro. I can't speak for the Losi, Durango or Centro chassis, but both the X-Factory and Kyosho cars have worked quite well for me indoors and outdoors this year. I think as more people try the configuration we'll start to see setups developed that will work well under all conditions, not just high traction.

Sugared tracks - I'm not a fan of the concept. To my knowledge I haven't run on one yet, at least not in the IFMAR worlds sense of candy coating, but from what I hear it gives phenominal traction at the expense of tire wear. To me part of the fun (and frustration) of off road racing is chasing traction through vehicle setup and tire choice. Taking that away diminishes the hobby somewhat.

Slicks - Not a fan of these either, but when in Rome.....
Old 12-09-2013, 01:36 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I'm very tempted to get the mid motor 2wd Xray car as well.....
Old 12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

HO HO HO! Forget going downtown to see the tree...Come on out and celebrate the holidays with RCHR!

Old 12-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trevcoll
I think we need to look at all three topics seperately.

Mid Motor is a simply a tuning option. For some cars (Losi, Durango and Kyosho) it's a matter of swaping out a handful of parts. For AE it's more of a commitment, requiring replacement of the chassis and suspension components, regardless of whether you choose to go with X-Factory or Centro. I can't speak for the Losi, Durango or Centro chassis, but both the X-Factory and Kyosho cars have worked quite well for me indoors and outdoors this year. I think as more people try the configuration we'll start to see setups developed that will work well under all conditions, not just high traction.

Sugared tracks - I'm not a fan of the concept. To my knowledge I haven't run on one yet, at least not in the IFMAR worlds sense of candy coating, but from what I hear it gives phenominal traction at the expense of tire wear. To me part of the fun (and frustration) of off road racing is chasing traction through vehicle setup and tire choice. Taking that away diminishes the hobby somewhat.

Slicks - Not a fan of these either, but when in Rome.....
Sugared tracks? Well its pretty fun in some aspects because theres endless traction, but requires some pretty good nerves and driving skills. Lester sugared his out door track a few times and it was like driving on crapet with spikes on your tires. Plenty of tire wear and drivetrain issues if your a noob like me, slam on brakes after the straight and watch the 10 pound nitro buggy do a five foot stoopie. But never the less its a experience you'll just have to try....
Old 12-10-2013, 06:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hey what's Dr joe doing in the pic lol
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 AM
Suspended

I'll be there! I heard some jabbering about a few others from the Island comin up too!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.