Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > North American Regional Forums > Northeast Racing Forum
Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT. >

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Like Tree21Likes

Radio Control Hobbies & Raceway - Waterbury, CT.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stickboy007
Hey, I'm still running a 44.0, which not only breaks arms, but also front shock shafts. The gearboxes break if you maintain the diffs too much. The diffs get too crunchy if you don't maintain them enough. The diffs get eaten alive if you...oh I don't know...run it. The bellcrank screws back out over time. So do the C-hub screws. And you need to drink three cans of Red Bull to keep it from getting out of your hands on a bumpy surface. Oh, and the stock ackerman is all screwed up, locking the inside wheel under full steering lock. That forces you to turn down the endpoint and tune the car for rotation rather than steering. The center rear drive pin pops out, so you have to buy extra parts to keep it in there. Over the life of the car, I have probably spent $50 on shock shafts alone. Definitely spent more on spares than the car itself. I love Team Associated. I LOVE them. But I don't understand how they could go from a B4, which has almost no problems whatsoever and has been nothing but a champ for me, to adding another 4 to the end of the name and making 4wd buggy a nightmare for anyone but the most committed. I have had great times with that buggy, but the time will come soon for a replacement.

The SC10 4x4 is a total pain in the butt (maybe AE just can't get 4wd right?). But it doesn't require too much maintenance, and I have had no problems keeping up with the Tekno and RCE folks during the outdoor season. Maifield can make it work and so can you...if you put the time into it...kind of like the B44, except with much less breakage.

My guess is the B5 will be aluminum tub with mid motor option. The only departure from this formula I've seen lately is from Schumacher. Still mid-motor, but has a belt drive to the rear diff. The lack of an idler gear keeps the CG very low. Most likely better for Euro tracks with carpet or astroturf.
blasphemy!!! AE rules!! lol. It wins championships!!

on a serious note, I like my b44.2 with avid chassis so far. Of course, ask me if I like it in the spring.

You're getting the yokomo bmax4 III aren't you?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wait a few months as parts wear out over time. In my view, the 44.2 has the same fundamental problems as the 44.0 as far as parts go, although I'll bet it certainly drives better. The bigger shocks with thicker shock shafts definitely help, but otherwise you'll have the same problems for maintenance.

I have considered the BMAX4 III. It is interesting, especially since it has no upper deck, but presently I'm leaning toward the ZX5.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Mmmm... Yokomo.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Wait a few months as parts wear out over time. In my view, the 44.2 has the same fundamental problems as the 44.0 as far as parts go, although I'll bet it certainly drives better. The bigger shocks with thicker shock shafts definitely help, but otherwise you'll have the same problems for maintenance.

I have considered the BMAX4 III. It is interesting, especially since it has no upper deck, but presently I'm leaning toward the ZX5.
traitor. haha. jk.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you're worried about parts and maintenance Team Xray now has both a 4wd and 2wd buggy out with 95% parts interchangeability between them. Of course the 2wd buggy is geared more toward high traction tracks like carpet and astro found in Europe.

Last edited by EricW; 11-13-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

The simple fact is I've been running the same B44 for almost 2 years. I'm familiar enough with it to know what I do and don't like about it. I'll keep running it until I get something new, but I want to get something new soon.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I'll keep running it until I get something new, but I want to get something new soon.
4wd Prius?
Old 11-13-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Funny
Old 11-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Guys thanks for coming out to the Wednesday Night Worlds

Results on RCHR.BIZ

We'll see you Saturday for the Showdown
Old 11-14-2013, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Will,
Just a recommendation... you guys have worked so hard on the new layout, but the pic is not updated on your website. Just saying lol
Old 11-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Addict

Great racing last night, had a blast and it's fun to see the guys getting better and faster.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

WNW was fun as usual. 4wd buggy was awesome again. Ed/Will, I'm gonna catch you guys next time. haha. Still getting used to how fast this platform is.

Definitely going to break out the 4wd sct next week.

Guys, gotta listen to Cliff Lett on this podcast (it's the 3rd one from the bottom). http://radioimpound.podbean.com/page/2/

For those of you who don't know, he's the VP of AE and former world champ. Also, the product development manager over there. It's cool listening to him tell Ruona about the design of the RC10 Stealth car that Masami won in 1989 with that was basically never mass produced (you know the one, the one with the crazy top deck). Essentially, it's the original ferrari of rc10's. Tell me this car doesn't look like it's from the future (at least in 1989, it looked like the future). http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=1002

Also, cool to listen to Cliff Lett talk about the rc10 classic and where vintage racing is going to go. I'm getting an rc10, putting a sweet body on it, and racing it in either stock and/or vintage. If I come in last, so what. My car will look awesome. haha. (Reinaldo, don't take my idea on my rc10 paint scheme. I called dibs. Same goes for the yokoho).
Old 11-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey, I do my own paint schemes, Phu

Question about Saturday. If we're going to start tearing up pipe after racing, then don't we need to start racing early, as per last winter season (9am)? That would give us time to get in three quals and a main before dinner, then spend the evening tearing up pipe and dirt. Starting early is fine by me...I just need to know...
Old 11-14-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hey, I do my own paint schemes, Phu

Question about Saturday. If we're going to start tearing up pipe after racing, then don't we need to start racing early, as per last winter season (9am)? That would give us time to get in three quals and a main before dinner, then spend the evening tearing up pipe and dirt. Starting early is fine by me...I just need to know...
Thanks Reinaldo, Doors open @ 3 racing starts @ 5 as scheduled. We will do 3 and a main and we'll be supplying pizza for everyone for dinner.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Guys the videos for this weeks WNW are posted...

WNW Results, Reports & Videos

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.