Newbie looking to start racing

Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie looking to start racing

Hey guy's
I been stopping in at your race track for sometime now watching. I would really like to get started racing, where to start tho? I have been playing with Nitro trucks for the past 10 years but never did must with electric cars, OR any kind of racing.

I almost came in about 2 years ago, i had baught a used TC3 from craigslist that had everything then lost my job and everything had to go...

Well im doing much better now and would like to try again. But where do I start? LOL

1. How much am i looking at spending to get into this? (Have tools but no radio, charger, car, or battiers.)

2. I never really messed with LiPo's befor, whats the rules and what should I be looking for?

3. What class should a begginer be starting with?

4. When would be a good time to break the ice and coming in an try running on the track, I mean i dont wana be out the when there is a croud and make the track look like a demo durby!!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flashesbuck View Post
Hey guy's
I been stopping in at your race track for sometime now watching. I would really like to get started racing, where to start tho? I have been playing with Nitro trucks for the past 10 years but never did must with electric cars, OR any kind of racing.

I almost came in about 2 years ago, i had baught a used TC3 from craigslist that had everything then lost my job and everything had to go...

Well im doing much better now and would like to try again. But where do I start? LOL

1. How much am i looking at spending to get into this? (Have tools but no radio, charger, car, or battiers.)

2. I never really messed with LiPo's befor, whats the rules and what should I be looking for?

3. What class should a begginer be starting with?

4. When would be a good time to break the ice and coming in an try running on the track, I mean i dont wana be out the when there is a croud and make the track look like a demo durby!!
Im fairly new myself so I would say the vintage class is the best class to start. The cars are slow but that has no impedance on the fun I guarantee. Its the perfect class to start IMO. VTA cars are based on 4WD touring cars with Novak 25.5 turn brushless motors. Most folks run cars that are a few years old. The latest and greatest chassis technology isn't really gonna do a whole lot better in VTA.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Regional Moderator

You can get into on-road fairly inexpensive, if you go about it the right way. BRP cars (1/18 scale) are very inexpensive. You can get a turn key car new for around $200 (includes car, ESC, servo, motor, battery, radio). They mostly run oval races if that's your cup of tea.

For bigger cars, VTA is a blast. You can start with an older, used chassis and still be competitive. Most of the time we run them on the road course, but we just ran them this past weekend on the oval. You can still use something as old as a TC3, but your budget is the limiting factor. VTA uses spec tires for about $30 a set, and one set should last almost an entire season. It also uses a spec motor and limited ESC choices. You can get a motor/ESC combo for around $120.

As for LiPos, the 1/10 scale VTA (and Touring Cars) use something like a 5000mAh 2s (7.4 volts) battery. You can get by with one pack, and can be had for a little as $35 online.

Several of us use a $35 radio (FlySky) from HobbyPartz.com. They work fine. It comes with 1 receiver. Additional receivers are $7.40.

Chargers can be had for around $25. Multiple vendors re-sell/re-label a Chinese charger design that works great.

Tools, I'm of the opinion that you buy good tools once, or cheap tools over and over. Just get Hudy tools. A little pricey, buy they last forever. I've had mine since 2006 and have only broken one tip, a 0.050 inch one. You don't have to buy a whole set, just buy individual pieces as you need them.

Just come to any club race day. Even if you don't race, you could still practice before racing starts, between rounds, and afterwards.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:46 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
You can get into on-road fairly inexpensive, if you go about it the right way. BRP cars (1/18 scale) are very inexpensive. You can get a turn key car new for around $200 (includes car, ESC, servo, motor, battery, radio). They mostly run oval races if that's your cup of tea.

Just come to any club race day. Even if you don't race, you could still practice before racing starts, between rounds, and afterwards.
i have been looking for one of these kits and cant seem to find any kits... i see BRP website, and see the rooling chassies but where do the full rtr kits come from your speeking of. Also what bodies do these smaller cars have to run? or could i run any body, would like like to make it look neet but i guess i dont have too.

plan on stopping down this weekend if i have time.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:59 AM
Regional Moderator

i have been looking for one of these kits and cant seem to find any kits... i see BRP website, and see the rooling chassies but where do the full rtr kits come from your speeking of. Also what bodies do these smaller cars have to run? or could i run any body, would like like to make it look neet but i guess i dont have too.

Contact Micro_Racer on here or HobbyTalk. He has a RTR BRP for sale, as well as a couple of lightly used ones. The Fall/Winter BRP Series is running all NASCAR type stock car bodies, since it is mostly oval races.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Adept

The "Racer RTR Kit" is a NORCAR exclusive! You can place an order for a kit at the track (or send me a PM). The kit will include (all new items)
1. BRP LTO or Road chassis - racer edition
2. HobbyWing 25A 1/18th brushless speed control
3. 3100Kv brushless motor
4. FlySky DSM radio/receiver
5. LiPo

All the above parts are legal for the BRP and NORCAR point series.

The BRP series runs at 2 tracks - Freddies and NORCAR (see link for details http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=336442 )

The BRP series runs most of the races on an oval, with 2 road races (at NORCAR)

NORCAR series runs on every points race date (see www.norcarracing.com)
Old 10-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Micro_Racer View Post
The "Racer RTR Kit" is a NORCAR exclusive! You can place an order for a kit at the track (or send me a PM). The kit will include (all new items)
1. BRP LTO or Road chassis - racer edition
2. HobbyWing 25A 1/18th brushless speed control
3. 3100Kv brushless motor
4. FlySky DSM radio/receiver
5. LiPo

All the above parts are legal for the BRP and NORCAR point series.

The BRP series runs at 2 tracks - Freddies and NORCAR

The BRP series runs most of the races on an oval, with 2 road races (at NORCAR)

NORCAR series runs on every points race date (see
Hey thanks for the info.... I would like to see these things run... I'll stop out on Saturday... Looks like you guys are running... So the the last time I was out at the gate in Brunswick there was no oval track there... Is this something that you guys set up special for these cars? Also how popular are these, how many people are racing these on a weekend?

Last edited by CarbonJoe; 10-13-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Adept

This week end is a "special event" race - the Hooters Series. No 1/18th scale cars are running. Last week we had 18 stock and 5 novice BRP racers for the BRP points series race. We change the track between road and oval based on the NORCAR schedule posted on our web site. The BRP cars race on both the oval and road tracks.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Are they still doing the Thursday and Friday practice?
I noticed it listed somewhere, forget where
Old 10-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Regional Moderator

Are they still doing the Thursday and Friday practice?
I noticed it listed somewhere, forget where
No. Full schedule here:

http://www.norcarracing.com/index.ph...Schedule-Entry
Old 11-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have a full tool set for rc and as well set-up board, hauling bags for big equipment, small parts box with bags and other essential RC related tidbits. Tons of the hardware too like screws. Not trying to sell here, but for a local who can pick up id sell if it got another person into racing. Locals at the Gate who have been around can vouch for me.