Looking at starting at the gate...

Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Looking at starting at the gate...

hey guys!

im up here in mentor, and im looking to start racing at the gate..only problem is i need a whole new esc and motor. last year in md we were running 17.5 motors and i have a mamba 1S edition esc. and now i gotta find another setup.

im using an xray t1 and a possibly getting my wife set up with a tc3 or tt01e to run into stuff with... looks like im going to have to sell some guns for cash to fund my addiction...
Old 03-28-2011, 11:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tcalpino View Post
hey guys!

im up here in mentor, and im looking to start racing at the gate..only problem is i need a whole new esc and motor. last year in md we were running 17.5 motors and i have a mamba 1S edition esc. and now i gotta find another setup.

im using an xray t1 and a possibly getting my wife set up with a tc3 or tt01e to run into stuff with... looks like im going to have to sell some guns for cash to fund my addiction...
Our rubber tire touring car class is using 17.5 motors and non-timing speed controls. I'm assuming your esc is the mamba max pro set for 1s which is programmable and can accommodate the no timing rule. Not sure if your speed control needs modification to work with 2S batteries or if Castle has a trade in program. My Hobbywing 1S will work fine with up to 3S so it may be worth checking with Castle before buying something new. Speed Passion has a Cirtix line of speed controls that I believe retail for less than $60 and Novak has some lower cost alternatives that would work fine for this class. ROAR should have the listing of approved speed controls on their website. I think the URL is ROARRACING.com.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

glad to hear it. if you need any servos ... (i've been peddling these with no bites thus far)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/495690-futaba-digital-servos-half-price.html

while it may seem a shameless advertisement, i'd rather help a local than ship across the country..
Old 03-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

also, i'll be putting on a free clinic this coming weekend in rubber tc. stop out with your notebook, or i can have mike wise send you his copy afterward.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by seaball View Post
also, i'll be putting on a free clinic this coming weekend in rubber tc. stop out with your notebook, or i can have mike wise send you his copy afterward.
Seaball, can you help me change my shock oil. I have a new car and no one wants to help me out. I only been race for a month or two please can you guys help me. I will be coming to the Gate for the race this weekend if I dont have to work.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Tech Rookie

thats good to hear about the touring class, but... i dont really have any tires worth their weight (mostly tamiya tire/wheel combos that have no foam. i do have a set of tires that came with my xray (got it on a trade for my old pan car) that are almost bald. and i dont have an appropriate body. all i have are VTA cars, and i think a 350Z and Suzuki SX4.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tcalpino View Post
thats good to hear about the touring class, but... i dont really have any tires worth their weight (mostly tamiya tire/wheel combos that have no foam. i do have a set of tires that came with my xray (got it on a trade for my old pan car) that are almost bald. and i dont have an appropriate body. all i have are VTA cars, and i think a 350Z and Suzuki SX4.
You are in luck. We have been running a class called Mongrel which is open to 10th scale touring cars with really no rules concerning tires bodies etc. We have a breakout time which means if you go below a certain lap time you lose the lap. This has kept the racing very close and we've had many different combinations of motors, bodies, chassis etc. This may be something to consider until you get the parts together to run one of the more rules stringent classes. Keep an eye on this thread as the summer schedule will eventually be posted here.

And if you need servos take a look at what Seaball is selling. He doesn't run junk...
Old 03-28-2011, 04:16 PM
Tech Rookie

You are a gentleman, and a scholar. that made my night in a way. ive never heard about a breakout class, but the idea is REALLY cool! ill have to go out to the garage and pull out my equipment and get some car together.

oh yeah, if i need servos, i know where to go! so far, i dont need any
Old 03-29-2011, 04:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Mamba Max Pro 1s is legal in zero timing. The only issue is that you need a BEC to use it on 2s or higher batteries. Those are available for around $25. I would recommend the Castle BEC as it programs with the same Castle Link that is used on the speed controls.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:08 AM
Tech Addict

Yea of free clinic on:

"How to finish second, and think you did something"
-Christopher Lance Goetz III-
Old 03-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
You are in luck. Keep an eye on Seaball. He doesn't run junk...
He may touch it, however.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
Oh my!!
Old 03-30-2011, 03:27 AM
Tech Addict

This is true, so true.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe View Post
you're all going to be touching it this weekend. up and down. and up ... and ... down. okay folks .. (said like an aerobics instructor).
Old 03-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

you're all going to be touching it this weekend. up and down. and up ... and ... down. okay folks .. (said like an aerobics instructor).
Is the aerobics instructor Richard Simmons?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.