R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-09-2002, 08:01 AM   #16
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Yeah, the GT4S is basically a GT4R with the new 2-speed gearbox and centax clutch. I am not sure but they do not mention a rear solid axle so maybe it will include a rear diff instead. Time will tell. I personally prefer running solid axles front and rear with foam. Far faster if you know how to drive it and understand the theory of overdrive.
Did I get you right, front AND rear solid?

I'm interested at how front AND rear solid axle relates to overdrive theory...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2002, 08:41 AM   #17
Tech Master

Yeah, solid front and rear.

With solid rear and front one way you get a constant tail loose car in the corner. With double solid axles you get a switching effect between oversteer and understeer while on the throttle. This in effect allows you to go through a corner a lot faster as you can keep the power down a lot deeper into it and get back on it a lot sooner on the exit. The overdrive here is more critical as you have to be able to keep the front from kicking out on the exit. Effectively, I have found an increase of 1 - 2 % more overdrive than I use with the front oneway and a 3mm F/R tire split.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 09:56 PM   #18
Tech Master

Well, the new GT4S is now on the market and the GT4SRB is due for release next week. If your shop doesn't have any they can special order and your sure to get it in the next shipment.

The GT4S is $599 and the SRB is $915 w/RB engine
Old 12-10-2002, 11:46 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Yeah, solid front and rear.

With solid rear and front one way you get a constant tail loose car in the corner. With double solid axles you get a switching effect between oversteer and understeer while on the throttle. This in effect allows you to go through a corner a lot faster as you can keep the power down a lot deeper into it and get back on it a lot sooner on the exit. The overdrive here is more critical as you have to be able to keep the front from kicking out on the exit. Effectively, I have found an increase of 1 - 2 % more overdrive than I use with the front oneway and a 3mm F/R tire split.
So you mean to say that by using the front and rear solid diff combo, you need your rear tire to be 3mm in diameter bigger than the front foam tire, is that right? I haven't done this combo yet...and I'm curious, how does it handle in a tight medium size track?
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2002, 11:48 PM   #20
Tech Master

It handles fine and I also run on a tight-medium track

Basically it works fine in all track types. Just ask Smitty. He tried and liked it. Far faster.

Last edited by modellor; 12-11-2002 at 12:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2002, 07:18 PM   #21
Tech Regular

New items in stock:

HUDY Hardwares and Setup Tools
Yokomo GT4-S Type
Front & Rear Novarossi .21 Engine Bearing
MC59 Standard Glow Plug

Vince
www.microRCShop.com
microRCshop is offline   Reply With Quote