Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
serpent 710..where to put the reciever and failsave..?? >

serpent 710..where to put the reciever and failsave..??

Old 01-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Hey people

I just finished building my 710 and facing the problem off where to put my reciever and failsave?
In the box is not enough room to get it in, if i put it in the box i need to leave the part where you put in the servo and battery connectors outside the box.

I cant imagine that to be a good idea, durt etc will be a problem, does anybody have tips\tricks on how to solve this?

I taped it all in now but i dont know if that will give problems in the future (heat??)
Please help me on this one, maybe even some pictures off your solution??

Thanks a million!

Ron
Old 01-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

what I did with failsafe was I use Futaba S9550 servo as throtal , I doubleside tape the failsave under the servo, no problem at all.

for reciever, If you can't find a smaller Rx, then you have to not use the Rx cover and tape the Rx face out, yes you are expose the Rx but I think you can find some after market rubber Rx cover or just use a baloon to protect it.

hope this helps
Old 01-26-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Isnt that a dangerous place to put the reciever? If i crash wont that damage the reciever? Is just taping it on top of the upperdeck a option? Or will that give bad signals?
Thanks a lot allready!

Ron
Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm planning to mount the receiver on the radio tray in front of fuel tank and use a HPI receiver cover just to see how it will work out
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Putting your receiver on top of your radio tray will higher the CG point.....

On a 1/8 scale car like the Mugen MRX4 it is also the normal position for your receiver, next to the throttle servo...
Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey M7H

I saw some fellow Dutchmen here but didnt see you yet, good to see you here aswell man. Yes...i am the same Ron as from "modelbouwforum".

Is that reciever on the Mugen not totaly exposed??? When i drive 1 hour i got
plenty dust and durt under the body...
Could i just connect all wires and then "tape" the reciever?, or will it generate any kind off heat when operating? Never looked at that thing because in the R40 it was sealed in a good box with lots off space.

I guess if i can pack it up good once then that will work for me, i dont plan to open it up that many times...once it's connected it stay's connected for a long time. Let me know if taping it all in is a good plan please??
Thanks a lot for helping me out sofar guy's!

Ron
Old 01-27-2006, 06:12 AM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by justforfun
Hey people

I just finished building my 710 and facing the problem off where to put my reciever and failsave?
In the box is not enough room to get it in, if i put it in the box i need to leave the part where you put in the servo and battery connectors outside the box.

I cant imagine that to be a good idea, durt etc will be a problem, does anybody have tips\tricks on how to solve this?

I taped it all in now but i dont know if that will give problems in the future (heat??)
Please help me on this one, maybe even some pictures off your solution??

Thanks a million!

Ron
Many people around here just tape the receiver in and either trim the cover or don't use it at all. You have to install it that way so the receiver can face out. I installed my Futaba receiver facing out and just trimmed the cover to allow access to the plugs and crystal.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:50 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Hey M7H
Ron
Ha, Ron..... You see, you can find me everywhere.......

Well, just use a baloon to put your receiver in......
I to tried to use the 710 case on my 950R with a radiotray from the 950, beacause I thought I had some heating problems from the exhaust pipe, but as I have a Graupner receiver which doesn't fit in this small case I stopped trying......

Just buy some TESA powertape (GAMMA) to mount the receiver after you have put a baloon around it.......
Old 01-27-2006, 06:56 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks m8

I will cutt the box so it showes the plugs and crystal on the outside and then put a balloon over it. Too bad i aint 16 anymore.....i would have had some rubbers on me then

Thanks,
Ron
Old 01-27-2006, 07:00 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Haha, watch your language...
This is not Holland, but America....
Old 01-27-2006, 07:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have to agree, double side taped your receiver on the side of the throttle servo is OK to do..........if you concern about the side impact from racing, your BODY should took most of the impact first. As you can see the above MRX4, the 1/8th has tons more power then the TC and they still do that without the box. Just hook up everything and tape it on the side of the throttle servo........and mount your add-on fail safe under the servo or under the receiver....or whereever that will fit.

1 last thing you can add to make it "cleaner" and "dust/water/fuel" safe.....buy a TAMIYA waterproof "BLACK BALLOON" and wrap it over the receiver/bottom of the throttle servo area..........that should be water/fuel/dust proof for a long time....

I believed 1 of those package came with 2 or 3 balloon for less then $10.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the nfo, didnt know that there are balloons for that purpose...guess a normal balloon isnt resistent against nitro.

I have cut out a piece off that recieverbox so that connections are at the front side now, put as many wiring as it can hold in it and use a balloon for dirt.

Greetz, Ron

BTW: Dont they know what a "rubber" is in America M7H??
Old 01-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Thanks for the nfo, didnt know that there are balloons for that purpose...guess a normal balloon isnt resistent against nitro.

I have cut out a piece off that recieverbox so that connections are at the front side now, put as many wiring as it can hold in it and use a balloon for dirt.

Greetz, Ron

LOL....frankly, "RUBBER" works too....what kind? Super thin? Texture? XXL? But be carefull about the lubrication that might harm the electronics....
Old 01-27-2006, 02:15 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Rookie Solara
LOL....frankly, "RUBBER" works too....what kind? Super thin? Texture? XXL? But be carefull about the lubrication that might harm the electronics....

Ah... they know......
Old 01-27-2006, 02:16 PM
Tech Rookie

I have some orange flavoured....would that destroy the equipment?

Serious, i think i got it covered now, cant wait to take it for a spin!

tonight i'm doing the setup and hope that i can start learn driving on sunday again....if the "too fast too furious" guy's like M7H give me some space to make my 16 minutes laps

Greetz, Ron

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.