Like Tree39Likes

Serpent Viper 988

Old 10-02-2017, 09:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Gents,
Just building my 988 up and want to ask if anyone has any experience on the shocks? Are these versions (kit 988) with revised piston rods which have a modified groove and therefore suffer less the e-clip liberation issue?

If not, any recommendation on ‘distance’ between base of shock and top of plastic ball joint (same as 977 recommendations in rctech or build as per instructions?). As ever will also grind down the piston a tad to allow it to not fit tight against the e-clips if required (this definitely helped on my 977).

FYI kit quality and design is by far the best I’ve seen (and have come to expect!) from Serpent and their design team. I ran the new flow bumper on my 977’s last race on Sunday and it made for very stable in-corner steering (it’s also much more sturdy), just need to strap the rest of the 988 to it!
Old 10-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBSpeed View Post
Gents,
Just building my 988 up and want to ask if anyone has any experience on the shocks? Are these versions (kit 988) with revised piston rods which have a modified groove and therefore suffer less the e-clip liberation issue?

If not, any recommendation on ‘distance’ between base of shock and top of plastic ball joint (same as 977 recommendations in rctech or build as per instructions?). As ever will also grind down the piston a tad to allow it to not fit tight against the e-clips if required (this definitely helped on my 977).

FYI kit quality and design is by far the best I’ve seen (and have come to expect!) from Serpent and their design team. I ran the new flow bumper on my 977’s last race on Sunday and it made for very stable in-corner steering (it’s also much more sturdy), just need to strap the rest of the 988 to it!
Yes, the shock rods have revised shafts with wider grooves and thicker clips.

You are right that the quality of the kit is outstanding. Who gives a crap about the some photos on the website? I'm not paying for photos I'm paying for the quality of the kit. For what it's worth there isn't anything wrong with the photos whatsoever
Old 10-02-2017, 11:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Smashrc View Post
I have no confident with company do not do good in detail. Am I wrong?

I can say this 988 pictures showing in Serpent web is the worst rc company official pictures I ever seen in my 30 years rc experience. Agree??
No I don't agree. Over 60 photos here all give functional views of the car and I am able to see all the areas I am interested in. Seriously dude? You don't race a photo

Serpent Model Racing Cars - Product - Serpent Viper 988 1/8 GP - Images
Old 10-03-2017, 12:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Dan for the fast response, really appreciate that bud.
The shock rods looked slightly different, so will build as kit indicates. Really glad Serpent evolve even the smallest details to make a better and better product!

With regards to the quality, rest assured websites/marketing maketh not the car (although have to say pics are fine IMO). Experience will tell you that. This kit is the best yet from the Serpent stable and as ever will be a winning car for novice and professional, especially once you figure some of the new toys on board. Out of the box, you’d be hard pushed to say any other car was ‘better’. What I like most is that the 988 is both innovative, but also an evolution of what’s proven to work. With this approach you get reliability (and let’s be honest, we basically are endurance racers and that’s the most important thing! You gotta finish!) and the chance to tweak what you know to go that little bit quicker. Perfect.

Buy it, build it, sling it on the track and enjoy messing with the aero bumper! Made my Sunday morning far more interesting! Haha
dan_vector likes this.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Can someone please tell me what starter box are you using for your serpent viper 988, no matter what i do i cant get it to work on my hudy box, any advise will be greatly appreciated and if you are using the hudy box can you please post a picture and thanks in advance.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HSV427 View Post
Can someone please tell me what starter box are you using for your serpent viper 988, no matter what i do i cant get it to work on my hudy box, any advise will be greatly appreciated and if you are using the hudy box can you please post a picture and thanks in advance.
Mugen.
Old 10-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JBSpeed View Post
Thanks Dan for the fast response, really appreciate that bud.
The shock rods looked slightly different, so will build as kit indicates. Really glad Serpent evolve even the smallest details to make a better and better product!

With regards to the quality, rest assured websites/marketing maketh not the car (although have to say pics are fine IMO). Experience will tell you that. This kit is the best yet from the Serpent stable and as ever will be a winning car for novice and professional, especially once you figure some of the new toys on board. Out of the box, you’d be hard pushed to say any other car was ‘better’. What I like most is that the 988 is both innovative, but also an evolution of what’s proven to work. With this approach you get reliability (and let’s be honest, we basically are endurance racers and that’s the most important thing! You gotta finish!) and the chance to tweak what you know to go that little bit quicker. Perfect.

Buy it, build it, sling it on the track and enjoy messing with the aero bumper! Made my Sunday morning far more interesting! Haha
Very well said. Car is awesome!
Old 10-05-2017, 07:36 PM
Tech Regular

Serpent 988 sweeps ROAR Nats! Double National Champ! Smeltzer in Masters & Desoto Jr in Open. Perfect week for the 988, showcasing just how good the car is.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by desotoracing View Post
Serpent 988 sweeps ROAR Nats! Double National Champ! Smeltzer in Masters & Desoto Jr in Open. Perfect week for the 988, showcasing just how good the car is.
Congrats Joaquin. The car does look solid.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Love those lower arms, might have to sell my Mugen and get this...haha.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mustangkillaz View Post
Love those lower arms, might have to sell my Mugen and get this...haha.
Oh yes. You'll like the car very much. I drove a buddies Mugen MRX6 today after our last national race (we swapped cars) and it was very yawn.... Lol. He's putting his order in for a 988 this week!!
Old 10-08-2017, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Oh yes. You'll like the car very much. I drove a buddies Mugen MRX6 today after our last national race (we swapped cars) and it was very yawn.... Lol. He's putting his order in for a 988 this week!!
How are brakes, the rotor looks pretty flimsy in pics.
Old 10-08-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
You should have given him your 977e and got him across. Interesting to see you got faster times today with the 977e over the 988.

Nice results in both classes.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

anyone have problems with the side belt not having enough tension on it? i see this question has been brought up on the facebook group page.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LOW ET View Post
anyone have problems with the side belt not having enough tension on it? i see this question has been brought up on the facebook group page.
It's no different to the 977 to be honest. It has plenty enough tension as it shouldn't be run tight. I run all my belts fairly slack and never have belts jump off or break unless a stone gets in or something. I see some people want to run belts really tight and it really makes no sense to me as it puts extra stress on the belts and pulleys and binds up the transmission.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service