Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Protoform R19 1/8 body >

Protoform R19 1/8 body

Like Tree18Likes

Protoform R19 1/8 body

Old 07-01-2017, 08:59 AM
Tech Master

Default Protoform R19 1/8 body

Anyone tried that? How is it different to the previous R18?
Old 07-01-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Great body!
Serpent-Dan likes this.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

In my opinion doesn't work in low/medium traction. I'm yet to try it in high traction but I'm not personally impressed with it. A few of the guys at my local track have tried it and come to the same opinion.

For me The R18 is better certainly in low traction conditions which doesn't surprise me as the body was mostly designed and tested by dario balestri in Italy which not only run on high traction tracks but they also use additive.

I will race at the final ENS round at Fiorano in Italy (super high traction) and will try the body there and I'm hopeful it might be as I suspect.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:37 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
In my opinion doesn't work in low/medium traction. I'm yet to try it in high traction but I'm not personally impressed with it. A few of the guys at my local track have tried it and come to the same opinion.

For me The R18 is better certainly in low traction conditions which doesn't surprise me as the body was mostly designed and tested by dario balestri in Italy which not only run on high traction tracks but they also use additive.

I will race at the final ENS round at Fiorano in Italy (super high traction) and will try the body there and I'm hopeful it might be as I suspect.
how far have you mounted the body and on which chassis have you tested this on? I tested this on similar low/ medium traction back to back vs the R18 and found it to be superb in terms of amount of initial turn in but mostly it's ease of drive with lots of rear end stability. This was on a 2016 X Ray Rx 8 with non additive Matrix Tires and Ulti tires WITH additive. For me the R18 was a lot more nervous to drive albeit being my favourite bodyshell ever since I started on road racing.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BD1541 View Post
how far have you mounted the body and on which chassis have you tested this on? I tested this on similar low/ medium traction back to back vs the R18 and found it to be superb in terms of amount of initial turn in but mostly it's ease of drive with lots of rear end stability. This was on a 2016 X Ray Rx 8 with non additive Matrix Tires and Ulti tires WITH additive. For me the R18 was a lot more nervous to drive albeit being my favourite bodyshell ever since I started on road racing.
Most of the guys including me are running Serpent 977 Evo2 on matrix and contact tires with no additive as it's banned here. A guy running an ARC here also found the same. We run it in the stock position aligning the front axle with the center of the front wheel arch on the body. Here the R18 is vastly superior at the moment. I have another R19 here uncut which I plan on mounting a little further forwards (I also need to try the body at another track) but I'm not yet convinced it'll make the body generate the steering I have with the R18 but I will try it!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Most of the guys including me are running Serpent 977 Evo2 on matrix and contact tires with no additive as it's banned here. A guy running an ARC here also found the same. We run it in the stock position aligning the front axle with the center of the front wheel arch on the body. Here the R18 is vastly superior at the moment. I have another R19 here uncut which I plan on mounting a little further forwards (I also need to try the body at another track) but I'm not yet convinced it'll make the body generate the steering I have with the R18 but I will try it!
Hey thanks for the feedback mine is currently mounted 20mm from the bumper edge and that is absolutely the limit without cutting the arches into the body sides which is not ideal..Balestri seems to have prepared a few for the upcoming worlds race so lets see... am cutting another i have here for the Velox V8 to see if its repeatable of what i found over the R18.
dan_vector likes this.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

On my Infinity I mount my R19 30mm from the bumper which lines up with the wheel wells
Old 07-03-2017, 11:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Serpent-Dan View Post
On my Infinity I mount my R19 30mm from the bumper which lines up with the wheel wells
So that's basically the same place as on the Viper (lined up with the wheel Wells). How does the body suit you?
Old 07-04-2017, 09:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Lots of traction. As my chassis already has so much mechanical grip
Old 08-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Tech Adept

hey guys..just gotten myself a r19 for my velox..was meant to cut lined up with the axles but accidentally mounted it too rearward (approximately 15mm from edge of bumper)..just wondering, theoratically what will that give me?
Old 08-14-2017, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tq23 View Post
hey guys..just gotten myself a r19 for my velox..was meant to cut lined up with the axles but accidentally mounted it too rearward (approximately 15mm from edge of bumper)..just wondering, theoratically what will that give me?
The more you mount a body towards the rear, the more rear traction it will generate. Vice versa for if you mount more towards the front.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

The further back the body is mounted gives you more rear end less steering. The opposite is also true.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

hey thanks for the prompt reply Dan and bcebwecb, appreciate it..

anyways, will try it out in a few days time and see how it goes..
Old 08-14-2017, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

This will effectively reduce your steering quite a fair bit if you ask me. I know cause I have it mounted on a shepherd Velox as well and my mechanic accidentally mounted the first shell 14mm from the bumper edge. I had him cut another 25mm mounted from the bumper edge and this was perfect.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

I found the body understeered massively in the 'stock' position and needed it a good further 10 mm forwards and it was better. Still prefer the R18 though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service