R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 10-19-2001, 11:26 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore
getting into the winning circle is not all about the car, its the driver and the way how to setup the performance characteristic of the car.
LOL I agree With You On the Mugen But as you said the Best Drivers are Serpent Drivers and not Winning? So it must Be their Setup. I am Just Not A Kyosho Fan Like Someone said they Sit back and Wait to Get ideas, What About When Everyone Else Is Comming Out With New They are Still behind.
Snake_bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 02:48 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Mauler

Quote:
Originally posted by Snake_bit
LOL I agree With You On the Mugen But as you said the Best Drivers are Serpent Drivers and not Winning? So it must Be their Setup. I am Just Not A Kyosho Fan Like Someone said they Sit back and Wait to Get ideas, What About When Everyone Else Is Comming Out With New They are Still behind.
Talking about who's behind...take a look at the Impulse...how long has it been out in the market and how many times has it actually revamped the product? Other than a single speed to a 2 speeder? Only recently, they are talking about the hop up kit with the Impulse... Take a look at Mugen again...just came out with the new pro spec at only a small increment of the price... I've seen it run and boy, it kicks ass as well...and now Kyosho... the GRP kit and now, the RR kit... talk about product evolution, you'll get what I mean...

And about the point of racing it out of the box, run the Impulse, MTX and the V One R with the same class of drivers? I think the results are apparent...

I'm not totally against getting a Serpent, in fact, I do really like their stuffs and the performances of their 1/8s... I love the VETEQ... but when it comes to the 1/10ths, I must really say it's not comparable to the other 2...

Of course, for those who are willing to spend...go ahead and go with the Impulse...but before you know it...you would have spent enough on the hop ups to get another kit!
Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 07:00 AM   #18
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Manticore

the serpent dealer has all the best drivers but they can never win a race with the impluse.
I think because Serpent never make touring cars.
Do you guys agree??
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 09:23 AM   #19
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24

Do you guys agree??
Ops, they did win but in the "one made race" !!
Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 09:48 AM   #20
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally posted by daniz24

Do you guys agree??
Is It Cuz You Cant Keep up With the Serpents??? or they Just Lap You to many times???? LOL
Old 10-20-2001, 10:36 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

Quote:

Is It Cuz You Cant Keep up With the Serpents??? or they Just Lap You to many times???? LOL

Shit happens, lets face it dude..
Serpent had never ever had experience in the TC business prior to releasing the Impulse back in '99.
While Mugen, especially Kyosho and the Yoks were already making their TCs since early 90s. So speaking of expriences in making touring cars, those companies were way ahead of Serpent, just like Serpent dominated the on road scene awhile ago.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 10:52 AM   #22
Tech Adept

But who is winning the major Races ?????
Old 10-20-2001, 03:08 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Mauler

Quote:
But who is winning the major Races ?????
I'm not sure about this...Kyosho and MTXs??
Mauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2001, 05:02 PM   #24
Regional Moderator

Quote:

That's weird.... because last race I overlaped all Serpent's driver several times, and finish 1st with my GT-4. hehe..... LOL : )
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 09:53 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Some of the Serpent parts that are coming out now were in development for about a year. Should they have come out sooner? Maybe, but you can't blame them for not putting in enough test time. There are more parts on the way. The Impulse with the prototype parts that has been testing here in Miami is VERY trick and has looked unbeatable when it's on the track!

The new shock towers are a MUST for ultimate tuning ability! I'm still contemplating the graphite radio tray, but I honestly do not think that it is necessary.
Oh... If it's a choice between the Serpent and Kyosho, I'll be fir and say that the V1R looks like a winner. Parts availability is the key to owning any contender.
TurnNBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 09:56 AM   #26
Tech Regular

redsand - if your LHS won't support you, at least EVERY mail order house you can think of carries the TC3 parts you need! You just have to "think ahead" as far as having spares avaialble.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:57 AM   #27
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

In my honest opinion we have to look at what situation we are referring to if we want the best car. If you were to kick it around in front of the house or on the parking lot and probably will never ever race competitively, and price was concern, then get an HPI ready to run! Seriously I do mean it cheap, lots of parts and even comes with radio...just add fuel and batteries.

Now if money was no object and you want a car thats great out of the box and even way better hopped up, look at the V-One R. I owned at one time a Impulse, and now own an MTX-2 and 2 v-One R's, so I know from experience about all 3 cars. Here is a break down of my opinion:

Impulse: Very expensive parts and are hard to find. Lots of strong aftermarket hop ups. Also more difficult to set up and parts are VERY tight fitting. Hard to set up, but once you finally set it up, it works like a dream. Not the best car out of the box though. Comes with a very good engine (Nova Mega both side and rear exhaust, but rear exhaust has more power).

V-One R: Medium priced parts, but not as expensive as the Serp. A little more pricey than the Serp when you buy it since it doesn't come with the pipe and header and engine. Easy to build and parts fit is very very good. Easy to set up since it has so many adjustments you can do. Out of the box a very very good performer and very predicatable and stable. Drives like a dream out of the box. Even better aftermarket parts now, but these parts are kinda hard to find because most are from overseasand are pricey, but when they come in most are worth buying. Better choice in variations of the car (gear diff version, Foam and One way with sways version, and the new RR version soon to be released).

Overall choice for me: The V-One R. Easier to assemble, easier to set up, easier to find parts (at least her in the SF Bay Area at least), and better aftermarket hop up parts. Even if you were to not hop up either car, i would still say the V-One R (a local racer here in one of our local tracks races an almost STOCK V-One R the only thing different are his springs he uses Yokomo Springs and he kills hopped up Mugens).
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2001, 02:03 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Default Forget the Cars...

How about the very nice looking ladies in your Avatar!

Last edited by TurnNBurn; 10-22-2001 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2001, 05:16 AM   #29
Tech Regular

With all these vehicles being based off one another (to a degree) it is safe to say that they all possess pro's and con's that either can suit some drivers style or not....... as Adelmundo and Turn&Burn said, the key is parts and availability and for what u want the car for... if u can get to have a short drive of them all it would help make your mind up better..... good luck
opel92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 06:00 AM   #30
Tech Elite

On short tight tracks the serpent may have an advantage as they weigh less than the V One R. The serpent weights in at about 1700 grams dry which is just on the IFMAR limit. The Kyosho weighs in over 1800. Having to accelerate less mass may help.

End of the day however opel 92 and the others are right, parts availability should always be your number 1 criteria for a race car.

Enjoy
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote