Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree30Likes

Kyosho Inferno GT3 (MP9 TK14)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 06:07 AM
Tech Adept

I'm considering buying the Inferno GT3,...a very nice GT I would say. I like the extra 35 to 40 mm which makes the car so muchmore beautiful. However: I DO want the option of reducing the caster as we pretty much know this is required for an onroad car so I contacted the engineers of Kyosho explaining the situation pointing them to the Serpent 3.0 and the IGT8 who seem to be the only GT's having this option. With the Xray and the Mugen you'll to customize the arms yourself which seems a bit difficult with the C-hubs of GT3 as well as the Serpent and the IGT8.
They have come back to me and were quite interested / surprised actually. They told me they are going to discuss it and come back to me soon. As soon as they have the option I will probably buy the GT3. If not I have to go for either the IGT8 or the Serpent 3.0

w.
Ofna2005 and cerberoz like this.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Default New Blood for Caster Fix

Originally Posted by wkloppen
I'm considering buying the Inferno GT3,...a very nice GT I would say. I like the extra 35 to 40 mm which makes the car so muchmore beautiful. However: I DO want the option of reducing the caster as we pretty much know this is required for an onroad car so I contacted the engineers of Kyosho explaining the situation pointing them to the Serpent 3.0 and the IGT8 who seem to be the only GT's having this option. With the Xray and the Mugen you'll to customize the arms yourself which seems a bit difficult with the C-hubs of GT3 as well as the Serpent and the IGT8.
They have come back to me and were quite interested / surprised actually. They told me they are going to discuss it and come back to me soon. As soon as they have the option I will probably buy the GT3. If not I have to go for either the IGT8 or the Serpent 3.0

w.
Oh how energizing to see someone else ready for the battle. 😎
I've got some article #s for you to check on the original 'GT/GT2' thread that Steve Pond started for the Kyosho GT fans.

#10_114_300_359_422_423_424_423_426_428_479*_480*_ 481*

That was some serious dejavu !!!
I'm not sure how you got into the 'inner sanctum' but that's cool that you have made contact 'through the coccoon'. 😎

I couldn't wait for Kyosho to get interested so I run Serpent 1.0+ and Mugen MGT7 (building 2d MGT7 as backup).

Prototype for caster change
Blue one is Chinese CNC for Inferno
On left is original 13* then 7*,5*,3*....my engineer said 'original' was 13*+ 7* I measured on chassis kickup (Iphone protractor) 7*. None of the GT8 cars dominating the class are running a total of 20 damn degrees of 'caster'.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

Since this is a 'semi-priceless' museum peace it's okay to display with gears my son stripped!! 😎

Say 'thanks to Mika and Jeff'<br/>Only about a half dozen peeps will even know what this BEAST is.<br/>(and 👍for Leon) 😎

Real brakes!! Need ony 1 setup.
(0000000000) and wkloppen like this.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Jerry! That last one looks familiar!
Old 10-05-2017, 04:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by (0000000000)
Hey Jerry! That last one looks familiar!
Yeah but I know how to make another one !! 😎
Old 10-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Gents,

I'm trying to push Kyosho in any possible way. Although I do have confirmation that Kyosho designers will have a close look at it I'm not too confident they will come with an answer quickly. I've told them only the Serpent 3.0 and the IGT8 have got it right and that you don't wanna miss the boat....do you?...I also posted on Kyosho America FB...I mean anything is allowed without being rude to get them moving.....right?

https://www.facebook.com/KyoshoAmerica/
Old 10-06-2017, 08:59 PM
Tech Addict

Gents,

I'm trying to push Kyosho in any possible way. Although I do have confirmation that Kyosho designers will have a close look at it I'm not too confident they will come with an answer quickly. I've told them only the Serpent 3.0 and the IGT8 have got it right and that you don't wanna miss the boat....do you?...I also posted on Kyosho America FB...I mean anything is allowed without being rude to get them moving.....right?

https://www.facebook.com/KyoshoAmerica/
'Push Kyosho'......reminds me of the addage.....get the horse to the river but good luck trying to get him to drink. I know that several....no, MANY have asked, begged, pleaded for Kyosho to take some action to fix the 'CASTER' problem. I'm glad you are in communication with someone there. Whether it's going to be effective.....we can only hope.

I tried to find the Kyosho FB thing you mentioned but the only info was from 2012-2014 and nothing to mention the GT animal. Hopefully they just haven't handed your call off to 'the guy in the corner of the basement'.

If there could be a 'meeting of the minds' it would be a miracle. For some freeeking reason, all....all of the RC car manufacturer's designers/engineers start off with a caster angle closer to 20° and then through drivers get the message to 'change it'. Serpent has been in the forefront with 'upgrades/mods.....pieces/parts'. Then Rino/Paolo et al have that IGT8 working 'mighty fine'. I was looking mighty hard at the XRayGT introduction but found out it's still being 'tweeked' in the caster function. I'm enjoying Mugen MGT7 at present, so easy to get a 'feel' for it and the 'caster tweek' is simple to accomplish. I would have run it more this last summer but I was plagued by a motor gremlin and ended up going to my Serpent 'backup'.

If you have an 'iron clad' contact at Kyosho and can PM me on RCTech, I'd love to see if I can get an answer. Or if you want to show them the RCTech conversations that I gave you that have been going on for years...feel free. My 'prototypes' are gathering dust until I decide I need another 'distraction' and get some of those on my old trusty Infernos. But for my serious racing fun, I've got to do my Mugen MGT7 and Serpent Cobra cars.

It would be a real blast to see all of the older Inferno GT cars get dusted off and start 'turning some corners'. And even better, have their new GT3 turn out to be a real terror instead of another victim of 'CASTER EVIL'.
wkloppen likes this.
Old 10-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Another good day with the gt3 had 4 qualifiers . Came 1st in one and 3rd in two others . The car has gotten better and better, I reverted back to the corvettes body adjust as per directions and the car was transformed . Came 3rd in finals car ran flawlessly for the finals the picco motor purrs just right for the inferno gt3 !
Old 10-09-2017, 03:21 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Ofna2005
Another good day with the gt3 had 4 qualifiers . Came 1st in one and 3rd in two others . The car has gotten better and better, I reverted back to the corvettes body adjust as per directions and the car was transformed . Came 3rd in finals car ran flawlessly for the finals the picco motor purrs just right for the inferno gt3 !
The car has gotten better and better? What exactly has bettered and what did you do to make it better?...How much caster (measured on the setup so including kickup) are you running? Tyre tyre type?...damper en diff oil?

thx in advance

regards

willem
Old 10-09-2017, 04:41 AM
Tech Adept

I have not changed much on the car at all to get it to work for me . I used the tki3 b plate and put on my Tki4 knuckles that helped . Tires yesterday were grp s4's they worked pretty good . The car basically works out box in my opinion .
Old 10-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

The TKI4 has 8* of chassis kick-up, correct? I can do same CAD work to try and get the arms parallel to the ground by rotating the arm about it's center by designing new A/B blocks. After that it's just drawing the hub carriers so they have less caster. I will try to post some stuff up this weekend since I have a final tomorrow morning...stock hub carriers are 13* I believe?

What are the caster numbers/adjustment range people would like to see? The +/- 1* inserts Kyosho has are nice, would 5* or 7* with +/- 1* changes be enough? 9*? Just need to know.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by fenton06
The TKI4 has 8* of chassis kick-up, correct? I can do same CAD work to try and get the arms parallel to the ground by rotating the arm about it's center by designing new A/B blocks. After that it's just drawing the hub carriers so they have less caster. I will try to post some stuff up this weekend since I have a final tomorrow morning...stock hub carriers are 13* I believe?

What are the caster numbers/adjustment range people would like to see? The +/- 1* inserts Kyosho has are nice, would 5* or 7* with +/- 1* changes be enough? 9*? Just need to know.
I liked the comment made earlier about some arm angle needs to remain to be able to take the shock of road irregularity impact. That made sense. The thing that does not make an ounce of sense is why the GT8 design engineers can't make that quantum leap when they evolve into a GT8 car that they can't go for total caster to NEVER exceed 10° total or they lose their invitation to company picnic forever.

I don't have an MP9 or TK12-13-14 etc. Numbers sound the same for kickup though with 7° chassis kickup and 13° in the carriers and knuckles.

I'm fortunate to know a National CADCAM design contest winner. He did what I asked and copied a Chinese CNC version of the carriers. He measured the inherent 'caster angle' and said it was borne with 13°.....+7° chassis kick for that nasty 20° total. I asked him to 'twist out' some of the angularity. Knowing that at the time Serpent who were leading the development for the GT8 cars had caused me to buy something to lower the 'CURSED CASTER ANGLE' by several degrees. I 'ballparked it' at 7-5-3° pieces. When I got a bid to produce a pair, I decided to buy a Mugen MGT7 rather than pay $3700.00 for 2 PAIR of 1 angle. It's been about 3 years since I decided not to fight it.

I recently met a couple of very clever gents that told me that they can model the pieces, rotate the pin positions, beef up the design I intended to use for CNC and print them in more advanced materials. The neat feature there is that a myriad of angle numbers can quickly be modeled and put into testing.

I met an MP9 owner that said the car was very advanced and gave him great race results. If only Kyosho could follow through with the transition to GT8 technology......big sigh.....
wkloppen likes this.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:00 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by scary_jerry
I liked the comment made earlier about some arm angle needs to remain to be able to take the shock of road irregularity impact. That made sense. The thing that does not make an ounce of sense is why the GT8 design engineers can't make that quantum leap when they evolve into a GT8 car that they can't go for total caster to NEVER exceed 10° total or they lose their invitation to company picnic forever.

I don't have an MP9 or TK12-13-14 etc. Numbers sound the same for kickup though with 7° chassis kickup and 13° in the carriers and knuckles.

I'm fortunate to know a National CADCAM design contest winner. He did what I asked and copied a Chinese CNC version of the carriers. He measured the inherent 'caster angle' and said it was borne with 13°.....+7° chassis kick for that nasty 20° total. I asked him to 'twist out' some of the angularity. Knowing that at the time Serpent who were leading the development for the GT8 cars had caused me to buy something to lower the 'CURSED CASTER ANGLE' by several degrees. I 'ballparked it' at 7-5-3° pieces. When I got a bid to produce a pair, I decided to buy a Mugen MGT7 rather than pay $3700.00 for 2 PAIR of 1 angle. It's been about 3 years since I decided not to fight it.

I recently met a couple of very clever gents that told me that they can model the pieces, rotate the pin positions, beef up the design I intended to use for CNC and print them in more advanced materials. The neat feature there is that a myriad of angle numbers can quickly be modeled and put into testing.

I met an MP9 owner that said the car was very advanced and gave him great race results. If only Kyosho could follow through with the transition to GT8 technology......big sigh.....
Gents,...if this is going where I think it's going...I'm gonna wait before I buy an IGT8 or a to be modified MGT7. I WANT the Inferno with the custommade knuckles!...In fact I want my spare part box FILLED with knuckles from 0° with steps from 1° all the way up to 10°...that'll teach'em!

GOOD work Jerry...keep it up!

w.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:12 AM
Tech Addict

Gents,...if this is going where I think it's going...I'm gonna wait before I buy an IGT8 or a to be modified MGT7. I WANT the Inferno with the custommade knuckles!...In fact I want my spare part box FILLED with knuckles from 0° with steps from 1° all the way up to 10°...that'll teach'em!

GOOD work Jerry...keep it up!

w.
'W'...😜

Kyosho just 'sat back on their laurels'.......could be 'DOMINANT'.
The new 'depth of the GT8 field' is impressive but I think I'm more interested in 'the solution of caster' than 'the Big Bang theory'!!!!!! 😎
Old 10-16-2017, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default Some light at the end of the GT-3 tunnel

Update:

Just received some feedback from the Kyosho designers in Japan. There's still hope on a 0 degree C-hub on the Inferno GT-3.

Belwo the reply i got. Might be nothing...might be something to look forward too...

”Skid angle of GT3 is same as MP9, you are correct.
So we will make the prototype Aluminum C-Hub by 0 degree and make it test
with GT3. If it works goods, we will release the Aluminum C-hub.
We will let you know”

will keep you posted

w

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.