R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-25-2002, 06:57 PM   #31
Tech Rookie

I was just asking everyone's personal opinion. Of course presupposing that its just an "opinion". I wasnt asking for anything "definitive". I'm well aware of the pitfalls in asking such a question, thus the qualification. I feel that an honest opinion based on personal experience with a particular car can be of value even if its not definitive and just an "opinion".

Last edited by UndrGrndRziztnz; 11-25-2002 at 07:00 PM.
UndrGrndRziztnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 07:35 PM   #32
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by theRED5
The 705 is not out yet, but looks to be a copy of the differences between the MTx2 & 3... servo laid down, battery smaller and laid down low...and Serpent really likes their parts, they're the most expensive.
The 705 is not a copy of the MTX-2 or 3. It does not have a layed down servo to begin with.

Both 705 and the MTX-3 copied from the Reflex NT for the battery pack under the tank.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 08:03 PM   #33
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by rranger
I just let you guys know my own experience about these cars, I would not agree with you Initial D that I believe every car has it's own basic character. and Serpent Impulse Pro or 705 is the "push" one,( forgive my typing mistake before) I am not saying that they cannot handle the tight track, but you need spend some more time on the setting compare with other cars like NTC3 etc. For the bad side of MTX-3, there are not much for the time now I find but it just a few week I've drove the car, apparently the side exhaust engine can not be used and no floating body mount.
I think that's over generalising... I've never had my Impulse push on tight tracks. Don't know if anybody has that problem that cannot be solved with a correct setup. More often than not, it oversteers a lot and I try to keep it from oversteering. If the car pushes, then it's not the problem of the car. It boils down more to wrong settings than anything. It applies to any car for that matter...
Old 11-25-2002, 08:05 PM   #34
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
i almost bought a serpent but changed my mind when i found out mugen came with a front gear diff case a much lower cg mini flywheel and a good engine like mr12 the serpent was front one way only parts cost more engine and steering servo are up higher
i have raced mtx-3 and was very impressed with speed and hanldling also i tapped the boards a couple times and destroyed 2 nitro shoe wheels but didnt break any front end pieces
Ok, you bought the MTX-2 (which is a fine car in it's own right) because the Impulse PRO came with one way, then yes, it's a logical move because even though you can get the front gear diffs for the Impulse but then it's more money...

Then you bought the MTX-3... Doesn't it come with a front one-way diff?

Is that correct? I don't see the logic in your first purchase...
Old 11-25-2002, 10:18 PM   #35
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
So, I must be a better driver than the Team drivers since I do quite well in my races and yet don't break stuff. . .shoot, I haven't replaced anything (except my spur gears. . .dumb me) in 4 months of racing.
yeah me too, i dont want to sound like a cocky basterd, but the only thing iv ever broke on my ntc3 is the front bumper, that it, and iv had ALOT of bad crashes like hittin disks at nearly full speed and gettin 4-5ft of air and ogin 20 feet accross the track and continue racing only to see that there was no damage and i got it sideways into a car tire at 40 and no dammage, and hit boards on the rear and still no damage! so i gues im not that bader driver, i won a point score up the coast from my track that iv never seen
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 11:19 PM   #36
Tech Regular

dont forget hitting a parked car at full gass and that petrol mini that u hit on the main straight and u wrote his car of and u continued racing and u people are saying they are weak

and if they are so called so weak it would make u a hell of a driver becase u would be replacing parts so u wouls stop hitting walls so u wouldnt have to fork out money for new parts

but thes cars are tuff

i dont know what u excpect from a car (the next thing u fellas will have is bullet proof shells)
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 02:40 AM   #37
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to ChrisO Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisO

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
dont forget hitting a parked car at full gass and that petrol mini that u hit on the main straight and u wrote his car of and u continued racing and u people are saying they are weak
hahaha yeah i remember that he wasnt too happy either. it wasnt my fault, he staled on the straight and i didnt see him, honest
ChrisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 03:50 AM   #38
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to V-One S

U been bagging up poor old minis with the NTC3 chris?
U bloody bully, leave those guys in the small cars alone and pick on some one your own size, *Points at brett*
V-One S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 06:38 AM   #39
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I think that's over generalising... I've never had my Impulse push on tight tracks. Don't know if anybody has that problem that cannot be solved with a correct setup. More often than not, it oversteers a lot and I try to keep it from oversteering. If the car pushes, then it's not the problem of the car. It boils down more to wrong settings than anything. It applies to any car for that matter...
InitialD
What you said is proofing my word, usually there are 2 ways for a car to go through a corner, by the differential effect and the chassis roll of by sliding the rear end with no diff. and less roll, sometimes a combination of two. Impulse and 705 basically are on road racer design came from their bigger brother Impact which is no rear differential at all. so the suspension geometry is limited to perform enough roll to get out from the corner, that makes it over steering (although serpent had done something to improve), that means you have to slide the tail in the tight corner, but unfortunately they don't have a really wide rear tyres like Impact, so the sliding tail become hardly to control, I guess your car is the one with too much sliding, it can be solved by setting, but it did takes time right?
rranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:29 AM   #40
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Hmmm, I never had problem turning with my PRO......no sliding, no fish tail, just a little OVER sometimes......if running 1-way, solid rear on the IMPULSE on a short tight track, that would be a big mistake.

Impulse came with rear diff, and they don't recommand you to use Solid rear unless you have a hugh wide track....you can try their ball diff or FDS....

Btw, Inital-D, good to see you here again..........

Here is my order - NTC3, MTX3 then 705.........

I picked NTC3 is because it is a faster car - period....from going in the turn, getting out the turn, straight.....everything is faster, more direct, and that is the SHAFT POWER.....(ONLY if you can dial the car right)........it is no beginner car, it can be a biatch to tune, it is fragile (according from the others), but I usually will give up my position instead of crashing my car, so it is very durible for me so far....PARTS are everywhere and dirt cheap, that is a strong plus.

MTX3 - new design, world champion ideas behind (based on their big brother 1/8th on-road).......if I want to get a belt drive car, that would be my choice.....

705 - Great car, no complaint.......20 plus year RC engineering behind........can definitely race with MTX3 neck to neck - HOWEVER, parts are hard to get and expensive.....need to worry about that.

Last edited by Rookie Solara; 11-26-2002 at 09:36 AM.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 09:41 AM   #41
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

Quote:
Originally posted by Rookie Solara
Hmmm, I never had problem turning with my PRO......no sliding, no fish tail, just a little OVER sometimes......if running 1-way, solid rear on the IMPULSE on a short tight track, that would be a big mistake.

Impulse came with rear diff, and they don't recommand you to use Solid rear unless you have a hugh wide track....you can try their ball diff or FDS....

Btw, Inital-D, good to see you here again..........

Here is my order - NTC3, MTX3 then 705.........

I picked NTC3 is because it is a faster car - period....from going in the turn, getting out the turn, straight.....everything is faster, more direct, and that is the SHAFT POWER.....(ONLY if you can dial the car right)........it is no beginner car, it can be a biatch to tune, it is fragile (according from the others), but I usually will give up my position instead of crashing my car, so it is very durible for me so far....PARTS are everywhere and dirt cheap, that is a strong plus.

MTX3 - new design, world champion ideas behind (based on their big brother 1/8th on-road).......if I want to get a belt drive car, that would be my choice.....

705 - Great car, no complaint.......20 plus year RC engineering behind........can definitely race with MTX3 neck to neck - HOWEVER, parts are hard to get and expensive.....need to worry about that.
errr, uhhh, rookie solara - what are you talking about? Have you seen an mtx3 AND a 705 race against an NTC3 in order to make these claims about what is faster?
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:27 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

i have driven ntc3 mtx-2 and mtx-3 and the mtx-3 is dailed with the stock setup
ntc3 was not nearly as good in stock trim but could be made very fast with foam tires and i did have wrecks where nothing broke it wasnt horrible it just never drove as well as mtx-2 i always felt like it was harder to drive ntc3
i have never driven serpent but i have seen many run and talked to many serpent owners who all love their car and say that they almost never break anything i almost bought one
mtx-3 was same price but came with front diff case(they should have included whole diff but didnt) and one way and the center of gravity is much lower on mtx-3 servo and engine are lower so that is why i think its the best car
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:33 AM   #43
Tech Fanatic

the 705 is designed for one way only there is no possibility of running a gear diff i do like the fact that 705 uses rear ball diff but my local tracks are small i may need that front diff and i already have all the parts from my old car so im better off this way
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 11:01 AM   #44
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

Dude, if you're looking for the best handling, wow, I don't think there IS a best handling of the top cars.

Although it would be interesting to get several Barry types to drive all of these cars and see what laps could be turned at a track that they already knew well, try and take out all of the externals and just see how well they could drive it. Much like Automobile or Road & Track road test groups of cars. . .would be interesting.

I think that the different cars will suite different styles of driving. I don't know that any are objectively faster or better handling than the other.

Old 11-26-2002, 11:06 AM   #45
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

good point boomer - some of it does have to do with how a car suits the racers driving style. There probably isn't any one "Best" car out for everybody.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote