R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-24-2002, 05:14 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

your right i grouped the 2 cars together cause i thought they were the same but i now know they arent i quess i dont know anyone who has the kyosho in my area unless your talking 1/8 buggies

all i really know for sure is that the mugens are great cars i have had a mtx-2 for 2 years and its been great i had a ntc3 this summer and decided to trade away it just didnt hold up and after i saw the condition of all the team drivers cars after nats a-main i knew that it wasnt the car for me if the best drivers in the country couldnt keep their cars from breaking how could i ever expect it from myself if i had stuck with my mugen at nats i am positive i would have had better results saved money and had more fun
jason102276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2002, 05:16 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

and the mtx-3 is even better
Old 11-25-2002, 01:57 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

the Good and Bad

NTC3
Good- Very smooth driving Train, fast in the corner, low CG
Bad- A lot maintainance, break easy,

Serpent 705
Good-Very reliable drive train designed for high power transmission, ajustable shock without changing oil, good at the high speed corner, strong enough parts.
Bad- The car is pash! you need to face the critical setting test with the tight corners track, and parts are expensive.

MTX-3
Good-New drive train minimize energy loss, low CG, Fast at corner,easy to work with, parts are strong but cheaper.
rranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 02:45 AM   #19
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by rranger
Serpent 705
Good-Very reliable drive train designed for high power transmission, ajustable shock without changing oil, good at the high speed corner, strong enough parts.
Bad- The car is pash! you need to face the critical setting test with the tight corners track, and parts are expensive.
Why do you say bad? The reason why the stock car like the Impulse PRO or the 705 for that matter will not able to do well on tight corners, at least if you're not skillfull enough to handle the one way front diff.

The MTX-3 will also show same characteristics of hard to handle on a technical track with front one way. Any car will be the same for that matter...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 09:44 AM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

So, I must be a better driver than the Team drivers since I do quite well in my races and yet don't break stuff. . .shoot, I haven't replaced anything (except my spur gears. . .dumb me) in 4 months of racing.

Listen, if you go to just about any track you're gonna see people replacing parts on Serpents, Mugens, Yokomo's, V1RR's and AE's. That's just a fact of life.

RRanger, you missed the negatives on the Mugen. . .there are negatives, aren't there? Your "pash" statement on the Serpent pretty much blows your objectivity, doesn't it. . .

Base it down to this - the Mugen and the Serpent are refinements of their previous designs and they've been doing this for quite a while. They have the experience and 'evolution' going for them. Nobody will argue that they are great, even incredible cars. The NTC3 is a new car, version 1.0.1. No new car comes out without some degree of refinement needed (Mug and Serp are not version 1's. . .) and the NTC3 is no exception. However, it's the first of any kit I've built that was WONDERFUL out of the box, built and on the track.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:04 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

boomer you must be a much better driver than anyone i know everyone i know has replaced a minimum of a gearbox top front arm because pivot ball broke off inside and a fuel tank in a bad wreck and this is only 1/10 of the parts i broke this summer and i won my summer points series so its not like im a complete hack i heard my friend with his ntc3 say he had just had almost 100$ wreck i remember having them when i owned one its not a bad car its just not durable
i almost bought a serpent but changed my mind when i found out mugen came with a front gear diff case a much lower cg mini flywheel and a good engine like mr12 the serpent was front one way only parts cost more engine and steering servo are up higher
i have raced mtx-3 and was very impressed with speed and hanldling also i tapped the boards a couple times and destroyed 2 nitro shoe wheels but didnt break any front end pieces
Old 11-25-2002, 11:32 AM   #22
Tech Initiate

I just let you guys know my own experience about these cars, I would not agree with you Initial D that I believe every car has it's own basic character. and Serpent Impulse Pro or 705 is the "push" one,( forgive my typing mistake before) I am not saying that they cannot handle the tight track, but you need spend some more time on the setting compare with other cars like NTC3 etc. For the bad side of MTX-3, there are not much for the time now I find but it just a few week I've drove the car, apparently the side exhaust engine can not be used and no floating body mount.
rranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 01:00 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by jason102276
boomer you must be a much better driver than anyone i know everyone i know has replaced a minimum of a gearbox top front arm because pivot ball broke off inside and a fuel tank in a bad wreck and this is only 1/10 of the parts i broke this summer and i won my summer points series so its not like im a complete hack i heard my friend with his ntc3 say he had just had almost 100$ wreck i remember having them when i owned one its not a bad car its just not durable
Gee, I must be.

So far, the ONLY pieces I've broken have been front end (full throttle oblique into the wall - tower, arms and a diff case. receiver pack went dead, wasn't charging for me. . .rrrrr) and, ummmm, well, oh yeah a body post. My buddy has me beat by, well, all of that. He hasn't had to replace anything (although he has a body post that's starting to go. . .)

Maybe I'm just unusual that way. But I've had the same luck with the other cars I've owned. I just don't see this car as all that fragile compared with the GT-4, V1R(R), Serps and Mugs.

BTW - those replacements that you gave are wreck-related. You don't break a fuel tank unless you're T-boned. . .hard. Were you in a GT-4 you wouldn't have broken a tank, but it would have been something else, likely a brace, tensioner, layshaft mount (rear or front) or the like. . . Pretty much the same with the others (GT-4 being a "normal" designed 3-belt system). . .

Anyway, I'll put my NTC3 up against anyone's other car in a fragility contest. . .ummmmm, wait, other way around. . .
Old 11-25-2002, 01:24 PM   #24
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

some people are able to be objective and separate their personal attachment to their car from their ability to analyze it.

Some people can't do that.

Boomer first you say you replaced nothing except spur gears now you say you replaced a front-end?

The NTC3 is widely recognized as more fragile than other pro cars, but most of the issues can be shored up with a little work. It's a great car, I've owned 3 of them, but it is fragile in stock form. The stock durability is not one of its many strong points.

The NTC3 the first time I put it on the track the bumper cracked, the second time the shock tower came loose. The kyosho V1R I raced for 8 months and just broke the first part last week.

This was a rear knuckle that broke at the stress point where I had shaved the plastic considerably to give 35mm rear tires to fit. This breakage was the only part damaged after crashing full speed into the boards after experiencing radio glitch at the end of a long str8. I've been in many incidents where I've been popped (or popped) by NTC3 and other pro cars, normally if there is damage they break, I get turn marshalled and keep on racing.

If you're talking quickness, low-speed corner speed, ease of setup, ease of parts access - NTC3. If you're talking durability - V1R.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 03:11 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
Boomer first you say you replaced nothing except spur gears now you say you replaced a front-end?
You're right, Patella - I broke the front end in June, five and a half months ago, right after I bought the car.

I did say that I hadn't replaced anything but the spurs in the past four months. I did forget about the bumper, yeah, I replaced that with the RPM right away. I'm advocating my car against the perceptions of people saying it's fragile.

I'm also not arguing against any other car - please read my posts. In one I actually say "they are great, even incredible cars" and I sincerely believe that. I really really do.

I think that the perceived fragility is because of people who hit things and then demand that the car not break. I see all cars not make the sweeper, hit the wall and break. Duh. During the 8 hours I spent at Rev last weekend I saw no massive numbers of NTC3's running for parts - personally I bought some ball caps and a spur gear. (Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot to mention that I replace ball caps now and then. . . )

BTW, this isn't to say that anyone who breaks a part is a hack, can't drive or anything of the sort. Rather, it is to say that when I hit something I expect to break something, no matter the car - RC10L2, GT-4, NTC3, Impact or Ford.
Old 11-25-2002, 03:26 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
The kyosho V1R I raced for 8 months and just broke the first part last week.

This was a rear knuckle that broke at the stress point where I had shaved the plastic considerably to give 35mm rear tires to fit. This breakage was the only part damaged after crashing full speed into the boards after experiencing radio glitch at the end of a long str8. I've been in many incidents where I've been popped (or popped) by NTC3 and other pro cars, normally if there is damage they break, I get turn marshalled and keep on racing.
I have to agree there. I have been racing Kyosho V1Rs over 12 months and I cannot remember the last part I broke in a crash. All of my parts bills come from hopups and from preventative maintanance.

Also with all of the new cars on the market my V1RR still holds it own no problems, so the design is still very relevant.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 04:46 PM   #27
Tech Master

Okay, here's my take...

There's nothing wrong with the NTC3, there's a couple of things you can do to make it stronger, like the shock tower attachment to the diff case, but for less than $2.00 you can make it bullet-proof. It's the best driving car I've ever had, and parts are inexpensive.

The Yokomo GT4 is a great car, it hardly ever breaks, and its fast, parts are like Assoc/. but could be hard to get at your LHS.

The MTx3 is new, I saw 2 race yesterday and they looked very good. Some of the problems that the MTx2 had have been fixed, like the bearings, the were always blowing out the bearings in the hubs. It has a lowered CG over the MTx2, laying the servo down, and using its "special" Rx battery under the tank. Parts are just a little more than the other 2...

The 705 is not out yet, but looks to be a copy of the differences between the MTx2 & 3... servo laid down, battery smaller and laid down low...and Serpent really likes their parts, they're the most expensive.

The best thing I suggest is to check with the pwople at the track your gonna race and find out what parts are easy to get, and also look at the LHS (Local Hobby Shop), and see what they say about getting parts....at some point you'll need parts, on ANY car.

Murnan Modified Motors

Mugen MRx4

Rocket Science Fuels

Auto Racing, Mountain climbing, and Bull fighting are the only true sports, all the rest are just games.
theRED5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 04:48 PM   #28
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I don't know about Boomer but I know a handful of owners who drive BOTH the V1R and NTC3 and 100% of them say that the V1R is more durable. I myself have a Kyosho FW04 and the parts are made of the same material. I have yet to break a single part at the track. I have broken parts on my Yok though. Mainly bent dogbones and snapped an axle once. The plastic is decent but nothing like my Mugen or Kyosho.

Even a buddy of mines who had a Serpent and moved onto the NTC3 wished it was as strong as his old Impulse. Not saying the NTC3 is bad, believe me, I think it handles great and is fast too, but its not the strongest car around.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 05:24 PM   #29
Tech Rookie

In everyone's opinion, which car handles the best overall? Which one is the quickest, most nimble, most stable, and easiest to drive? The MTX-3, V1RR, or NTC3? I know this isnt an easy question and I know the MTX-3 is still very new, but I was wondering about just general impressions.
UndrGrndRziztnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2002, 06:02 PM   #30
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Quote:
Originally posted by UndrGrndRziztnz
In everyone's opinion, which car handles the best overall? Which one is the quickest, most nimble, most stable, and easiest to drive? The MTX-3, V1RR, or NTC3? I know this isnt an easy question and I know the MTX-3 is still very new, but I was wondering about just general impressions.
Uh, you're right...this isn't an easy question. You will not get a definitive answer here or anywhere, except maybe the Traxxas forum where they all swear the 4-tec is heaven on wheels. All of these cars handle well. Unfortunately, you will never know which works best for YOU unless you try them all. You should be interested in the one you can get the most (parts and setup)support for.

As for the NTC3...it's definitely not a V1R or Serpent in terms of durability. It can be bulletproofed but just because one person can stay off the boards doesn't mean the general population isn't gonna butcher this car.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote