R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #61
al
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to al
Thumbs up

Last edited by al; 01-19-2006 at 05:35 AM.
al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:39 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm
Everybody here is forgetting about import taxes and duties, which vary from country to country. And if you are a legal operated company you have to pay them, even if you are working some kind of ilegal dumping prices with supplier.

Example for an import here to Peru, South America.

Fob price to distributor of sampleitem U$D 200.00
EMS Freight U$D 45.00
Insurance (0.5% over CIF) U$D 1.30
Wire Transfer Charges U$D 5.00
Customs Duties & Taxes(31% over CIF) U$D 76.35
Custom Agent Fees (15% over duties) U$D 11.45
Freight Charges from port to warehouse U$D 5.00

Total cost of kit to distributor U$D 344.41

Now, distributor has to put his margin....then the hobby shop, considering their operating costs..... So if you are asked U$D 450.00 retail price, you are lucky and getting a fair deal.

So if Hong Kong oulets sell cheap,(FOB prices beeing equal and not faked), it has to be because they pay less freight (shorter distance), less duties and taxes, etc.etc. And that is out the hands of distributors in your countries.
Or maybe they get better prices from supplier, or they are doing double invoicing, one for customs and the other on a side ilegal account.

In the USA or any other country it has to be the same give or take, you must pay taxes, so you are not only supporting your LHS's but you are contributing to your country.

My 2 cents

AFM

this make me feel even worse, I am contributing this people-killing country
Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 PM   #63
Tech Initiate

Last edited by edwintam; 10-08-2007 at 08:59 PM.
edwintam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #64
Tech Adept

How about we end this topic because its getting pretty out of hand. Edwin go support the sweat shop country and everyone else buy where they want
Dan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:48 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

based on experience, unless you buy the items in bulk.

1. not buying from LHS will incur additional charges, ie.shipping & handling cost, which in the end by the time your item reach your doorstep, it will be a few dollars cheaper. like i said, unless you buy in bulk or you are actually travelling there, hence no shipping cost involved.

2. the risk, i've heard about things missing, not shipped, etc. some risks are not worth taking, esp with the small difference

3. things will get worse once you get a defective product shipped to you. you might want to send it back, and of course, from your own pocket.

4. buying from LHS sometimes will be beneficial because they give you support and sometimes more discount.

however, i still buy parts and other stuff from mail order/overseas sometimes. The only reason i'm doing that is because LHS does not support the product.
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:24 PM   #66
Tech Regular

Dodo,
You're last statement makes an excellent point. Sometimes you must purchase sometime from another source other than LHS because they don't support the product you are driving.

Think about it. The LHS cna't carry every car manufacturer and then all the parts, upgrades and accessories for each line. How would you like to be an automotive dealer and carry every line of cars, then the parts and have all the mechanics for each.... simply impossible.

I am an e commerce business but with a vision of working along with the hobby store, not to under cut him, but along side him to keep our wonderful hobby growing. Down time will kill our hobby. So if I can supply a one stop shop for a good line of products and the hobby shop don't carry that line, I am still making his business grow. That hobbyist still needs fuel, batteries, small parts, radio, servos, paint, bodies,and etc, plus then he/she will buy a different car and it goes on. This I can be everything to everyone theory is so stupid. We all can work together and believe in buying from your LHS and protect yourselves and buy on line from US dealers.

Did you know that there is more than grocery store in my town and amazingly they both stock tide! But each one has a different deli, bakery and etc. They both will stay in business and I will support both... well the bakeries for sure!

But I hope my point is well taken. I basically have a "toy" RTR RC car I import in made with some of my design and quality of parts I demand. I am not the cheapest car in this field. I am about $50.00 higher than the cheap guys car. However I sell quality, I talk to my cutomers and help them, and then they move up to cars like the G4 and the G4s. Point here is to support the hobby shop that takes an interest in you and his other customers and same with the on line company. If they don't email back and have a bit of a lower price... did you gain? Think not...

Just my 2 cents here.
4F1Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:17 AM   #67
Tech Master

I think the larger issue is that this Edwin Tam guy trolling the boards trying to play himself off as just another guy. All the time he is a reseller trying to push his own shop. If this is the moral makup of the guy in charge or the sales staff, I won't do business with them. In business your word and trust is everything. If Edwin has no problems missrepresenting himself, he has NO credability in my eyes. It also sounds like he is violating his distribution agreement if not in letter, in spirit.

The internet is here to stay. People will butfrom where they want and for there own reasons. The hobby shops will adapt and change to stay competitive.

Buying overseas is really a matter of trust. You pay up front and hope that your stuff shows up. Most of the time it does. When it doesn't, you learn what kind of people the company has by how they take care of the problem. Edwin Tam has already shown his colors.

Enough said.
Rapid Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #68
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodo
The only reason i'm doing that is because LHS does not support the product.
Yes, this is a good quote from an example of a good customer. Not just encourage price war between shop from another even in the same country.
daniz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i support my lhs when i can and with stuff that they have. but if the product is overpriced, say $40-$50 or more (this price difference happens mostly on kits, radios, etc.), i buy it online to save money. i don't make a lot of money, so i have to save when i can.

but i think about it this way:
say i bought a kit and saved $40 from the internet....
lhs didn't make say about $60-$80 from me because i didn't buy it from them.
on the other hand, because i bought a kit, i needed small things like battery pack, switch, servos, servo tape, paint, etc. which i pick up mostly at the lhs (so they now made money)
then i race that car every week ($10/race=$40/month) at the lhs' race track (yet another gain for them)
off course, fuel, bodies and all the "consumables" are from lhs also (another plus)

so in the end, i look at it as a win-win scenario for both me and the lhs. i want to support as much as i can, but it's just to hard to swallow sometimes, especially when the difference is a lot like $80 or more. that $80 can buy a lot of stuff like spare tires, body, paint, etc. but then again, the $80 i may have saved would probably go to the lhs anyways for those misc. stuff.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:16 AM   #70
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Cool

Hey most of time I like going to LHS or Local track cause you build a personal relationship with people that work there in most cases they know by your first name. With that said I will shop online for great deals on items that maybe a little cheeper, as a consumer you look great deals.
Old 01-19-2006, 08:15 PM   #71
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Gutierrez
i support my lhs when i can and with stuff that they have. but if the product is overpriced, say $40-$50 or more (this price difference happens mostly on kits, radios, etc.), i buy it online to save money. i don't make a lot of money, so i have to save when i can.

but i think about it this way:
say i bought a kit and saved $40 from the internet....
lhs didn't make say about $60-$80 from me because i didn't buy it from them.
on the other hand, because i bought a kit, i needed small things like battery pack, switch, servos, servo tape, paint, etc. which i pick up mostly at the lhs (so they now made money)
then i race that car every week ($10/race=$40/month) at the lhs' race track (yet another gain for them)
off course, fuel, bodies and all the "consumables" are from lhs also (another plus)

so in the end, i look at it as a win-win scenario for both me and the lhs. i want to support as much as i can, but it's just to hard to swallow sometimes, especially when the difference is a lot like $80 or more. that $80 can buy a lot of stuff like spare tires, body, paint, etc. but then again, the $80 i may have saved would probably go to the lhs anyways for those misc. stuff.

Excellent!! Well said
rc racing dude is offline   Reply With Quote