R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default please tell me what you think

ok i just bought a AE TC3 Factory Team kit and i have ordered an os 15 rx. i can say that i dont know alot about these engines and i was looking for some input on this forum. please tell me if i have bought a dud or if it will be a strong, reliable engine. thanks
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to SSmoked

im a strong believer in OS, they are great engines, you shouldnt have any problem, i havnt heard a thing on that exact engine, but every os engine ive had ive been very happy with, im about to get a new os my self for my maxx. you shouldnt have a problem. great engines!
SSmoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fritzD

OS synonimous to easy to tune, durable, and reliable. it shouldn't give you headaches
fritzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 01:47 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice

If you are new to nitro or RC cars in general you made some decent choices. OS engines are some of the most reliable engines on the market. They are also very user friendly in respect to tuning. Associated is a very reputable brand. Parts for their products are available in at least 90% of the hobby shops in the US and are very reasonably priced when compared to other brands. In my estimation, if it's your first nitro car, you did just fine. Happy racing! Enjoy!!!
Old 01-16-2006, 08:18 AM   #5
Tech Rookie

i have had one other onroad nitro car but it was an hpi rs4 racer way back when. i worked in a hobby shop and could afford the hobby when i was young but now i have a real job and can afford the hobby just paying normal prices not 40% off. i have been really into offroad and was really good at that but the speed wasnt there and it wasnt as fun driving the cars. i just have not built a car in a while and i am glad that this site is here to tell me whats up!
Jeepson33s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 05:18 PM   #6
Tech Adept

where are you racing with a .15 engine in your touring car? Good products but the ntc3 is also said to be a 5 min car
Dan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Tech Addict

what makes you say that ???
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
Tech Adept

there team drivers the diffs fail
Dan D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 12:19 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Make sure you get good servos.
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D
there team drivers the diffs fail
Agreed! If you do have failures this is the achillies heel of the NTC3. On my local track last season the #2 fast guy ran this car & when he had failures it was the diff 90% of the time.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #11
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

when i had my ntc3, i always used a fresh diff for the main otherwise the diff is going to give up on you in the middle of the race, especially if you have a high competition engine and that's why i had 6 set of diffs and keep rebuilding the diffs until finally i gave up and sell the car (i've raced it for about 2 years). tc3 is a fast car but it's pretty delicate and you need to really take care of it. And also get the aluminum front main shaft input, the plastick one is not that strong. Good luck!
luketob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #12

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Odd , Ive never heard of the .15 RX motor , until now. My guess , its not worth the money. I saw it costed like $200 dollars.

I would cancel the order or return it if you can. What you should get is the os .12 TZ motor , thats os newest motor and its quite frankly very powerful and the same price if not less at some places. Youve definently got a slow motor too cause its saying something like 25,000 rpm. I bet a CV-R can beat that thing out and thats as well a very old motor. The TZ came out last year , costs the same and will have nearly 40,000rpm and double the power. Its the fastest .12 from os, hands down.

As for the tc3 , its an older car. I would have chosen something else for sure. If your on a budget the 2004 r40 can be found for cheap , its a team kit of sorts and has a lot of the option r40 users want. $250 plus shipping.

Otherwise I have a feeling your not going to be happy with either of those. No worries though , things can be returned.

Like everyone says the car not only has diff trouble , but its just plain an older design and granted you paid about as much for a current car and engine , you might as well get something thats worthy for todays racing.

But yeah at least get the TZ , and I would seriously return that tc3 too.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:39 AM   #13
Tech Adept

If you like shaft driven why don't you think about the hong nor CD3 kit or pro kit they are cheap and great cars if you don't want to spend big bucks and i would go with the o.s TZ as well.

Hong Nor CD3 PRO+O.S TZ= A great budget combination

I know the NTC3 are great cars but i heard they are a bit fragile and out dated.

O well it's up to you
ChApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:51 AM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I think the 15 RX has a red Head on it and if I am not mistaken it is several years old.. it has a black crank case and red ano head.. it came out when the First CV-R 12's came out and this is a big block engine.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Yeah I just looked it up, that is an old engine.. It may fit it may not. that engine was used alot in the Ofne Colt 10 235mm cars..