R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-22-2006, 12:09 PM   #61
Tech Rookie

Good point. Kyosho won.
Apart form this, and other facts that I had reviewed, i am between buying kyosho, or mtx-4.....

But as I said before. We need reviews from people that have deal with these cars before.

I don't think that people who entered this thread are expecting to find those riview in each of the threads theay are. Just for MTX-4 there are aound 3000 replies... who have time for reading just that??

Lets be conscice talking for example about suspension and Cluthes. Critical part in a car......
Antolinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 12:34 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antolinez
Good point. Kyosho won.
Apart form this, and other facts that I had reviewed, i am between buying kyosho, or mtx-4.....

But as I said before. We need reviews from people that have deal with these cars before.

Lets be conscice talking for example about suspension and Cluthes. Critical part in a car......
Want facts? Ok.... let's see.

I'm not a newbie by here (my first car, maybe you'll not know, but was a Tamiya Monster Beetle, circa 1986). Have got many nitro cars (Yokomo GT4/GT-4w, Associated NTC3, MTX3, MTX4) but became from a quite long electric background (you name it, probably got that car).

What I love from my MTX4: Love their build quality, their 'setup window' is more bigger than whas on the MTX3, probably you'll find your setup and will be fine for the 90% of the tracks, looking to the past, Mugen has been quite consistent on those cars, refining them and making better, faster and easiert to drive and setup on each revision (drove a MTX2 too).

What I don't like from my MTX4: The rear shock stay looks weak and prone to breaking (nothing that cannot solved with an aftermarket part), didn't liked the brake disk (is a simple metal disk, on previous versions, the disk was a spider and two of those disks) - changed it for an aftermarket version along new brake pads - blue from the MBX5, much better and precise braking action.

What I 'hate' from my MTX4: The engine is crammed on the chassis, now you need to change the engine and you'll need to remove the chassis brace, the belt tensioner, remove the belt and you neeed to fight a little to put into their place (pray for not being to change the engine in a rush 3 minutes before a heat or main...), hate the 'new' clutch bell, who needs 3 smaller bearings meanwhile the 'old' needed only two - many users reported blown bearings on the MTX4 thread...

Regarding the RRR thing. Don't forget that in certain levels, what makes a difference is the driver, not the car - and of course, the number of cars who go to a particular race, 1, 2, 10 or 50 cars.

The best car is the one you have good service from your local LHS, not the one who gives you more bling, bling or other. I choosed Mugen many time ago and actually have 4 models of Mugen on my stable (MRX3/4 & MTX3/4) if you wondered.... I have a great selection of parts for Mugen on my LHS, that's why I say: 'Mugen Inside'
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 01:02 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Want an honest review of the MTX4? Go to 3Hobby.net, look in the "Content" from the main menu and then under "Product Reviews". There are 4 parts. There is also an in-depth review of the RRR.

There are videos showing the test drive too.

All these unbiased because the kits are not sponsored and neither is the website. We paid for these kits ourselves so we can be honest according to own opinions. There would have been one for the 710 too but the site was started way after the 710 was released.

Next up will porbably be the G4S.
Old 01-22-2006, 01:17 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Yeah be sure to search before posting on subjects like this one. There are many threads like this and you can get answers faster that way.

But just to make it clear , asking a question like this is pretty much asking what human race is better. Its going to create some biased controversy...if anything the reason for this thread being calm is weve had so many we are numb on the sujbect. So responding on this one is more laxed and people are probably understanding that its not going to get anywhere if we bash a car or just praise another.

The truth is , not everyone has driven every car out there. Most people like to get familiar with a car and sometimes they just stick with a brand (if it can at least carry them into the future). Sometimes a manufacturer drops the ball so to speak causing a driver to jump to another vehicle due to the fact they want to stay competitive or feel there vehicle is possibly lacking in one way or another.

Granted most everyone here has not even driven closely to the amount of cars out there and if they have they havent driven them enough for a fair comparison.

There are also many factors to think about , price and avilability is a big one to some , to others not. Sometimes these questions are also better asked locally while at the track and a race is going on...or just simply watching the race play out , see how each car drives , see whos winning , find out why they are winning.

A lot of the time its the top driver thats winning , not the car. But you can at least get a true perspective of whats going on by just seeing it yourself. Then get down to price , if that matters etc etc. Then go from there and basically choose what attracts you the most. That way your happy and your not thinking I bought this cause this guy has it , or XX driver placed first with it but because your happy with it. I think thats the best advice.

Also if you are new and dont have all the equipment. I would suggest going with a budget car. No reason to go out with some high dollar kit and loose the same. Save some money and use it towards things that will help make it easier on you. Good radio & spektrum so you dont have to worry about crystals while your trying to work on the car and concentrate on driving well.

This is very good advice and I couldn't agree more ...
Old 01-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #65
jag
Tech Master

Quote:
Good point. Kyosho won.

I don't think that people who entered this thread are expecting to find those riview in each of the threads theay are. Just for MTX-4 there are aound 3000 replies... who have time for reading just that??

I find myself in the same position (MTX-4 or RRR) so I have been talking to people who have raced both and this is what I have found:

Handling - the cars are very similar. Both turn very well and are easy to setup.

Accelleration - the Kyosho is a little quicker. I don't know if it's the clutch, the internal gearing, the weight of the driveline, whatever. It's not a big difference but it exists.

Clutch - I had 1 person tell me they liked the Kyosho clutch better because it was a little more aggresive. I don't know.

Quality - they are both excellent kits. They go together well and are easy to build. No special mods, sanding, etc... They are similar in cost but the WCE comes with some parts the Mugen doesn't. Mugen has the reputation of having the best plastic and it looks very good. The Kyosho has had a few issues, gears wearing out, shock tower (Mugen also), brake pulley. I have been told that all of these items have been addressed.

Parts - the Kyosho gets the nod when it comes to parts. The rear arms of the RRR work on either side, the Mugen's do not. When you buy some Kyosho parts they come on a tree with other associated parts. When you get Mugen parts, it's just the part or pair of parts and they are R & L so break both sides not just one. One very good driver told me that he was very fast with the Kyosho but never seemed to be able to finish the main. It was always stupid stuff but... He is currently driving the MTX-4.

Other - the Mugen is still new so there is still a lot of testing being done to see what works and what doesn't. The Mugen is the toughest car on the track. It has always been that way. The Kyosho is a proven winner. I know people that have changed to it and gone faster then they ever did. I have been told that the Kyosho feels "cheap" compared to the Mugen but I think it's mostly the pulleys and Kyosho did that for a reason. It's a fast car but at the last state race there were 0 Kyosho's in the A main. There were 4 Mugens and 6 Serpents.

Two of the people I talked to are currently running the MTX-4. You could say that they are somewhat sponsored and they say the right things, "the Mugen is a great car, it turns, it's fast, etc..." but I can hear it in their voices and see it in their eyes... they miss the RRR.

I am ordering my RRR today.
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #66
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Thumbs up

W
Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
I find myself in the same position (MTX-4 or RRR) so I have been talking to people who have raced both and this is what I have found:

Handling - the cars are very similar. Both turn very well and are easy to setup.

Accelleration - the Kyosho is a little quicker. I don't know if it's the clutch, the internal gearing, the weight of the driveline, whatever. It's not a big difference but it exists.

Clutch - I had 1 person tell me they liked the Kyosho clutch better because it was a little more aggresive. I don't know.

Quality - they are both excellent kits. They go together well and are easy to build. No special mods, sanding, etc... They are similar in cost but the WCE comes with some parts the Mugen doesn't. Mugen has the reputation of having the best plastic and it looks very good. The Kyosho has had a few issues, gears wearing out, shock tower (Mugen also), brake pulley. I have been told that all of these items have been addressed.

Parts - the Kyosho gets the nod when it comes to parts. The rear arms of the RRR work on either side, the Mugen's do not. When you buy some Kyosho parts they come on a tree with other associated parts. When you get Mugen parts, it's just the part or pair of parts and they are R & L so break both sides not just one. One very good driver told me that he was very fast with the Kyosho but never seemed to be able to finish the main. It was always stupid stuff but... He is currently driving the MTX-4.

Other - the Mugen is still new so there is still a lot of testing being done to see what works and what doesn't. The Mugen is the toughest car on the track. It has always been that way. The Kyosho is a proven winner. I know people that have changed to it and gone faster then they ever did. I have been told that the Kyosho feels "cheap" compared to the Mugen but I think it's mostly the pulleys and Kyosho did that for a reason. It's a fast car but at the last state race there were 0 Kyosho's in the A main. There were 4 Mugens and 6 Serpents.

Two of the people I talked to are currently running the MTX-4. You could say that they are somewhat sponsored and they say the right things, "the Mugen is a great car, it turns, it's fast, etc..." but I can hear it in their voices and see it in their eyes... they miss the RRR.

Great explaination of both cars I was in the same position, I've heard MTX-4 also has a problem with traction roll too much front bite and Kyosho is easier to set up striaght out box. so I decided on Kyosho RRR WC.

Last edited by Ivan Dickson; 01-23-2006 at 07:34 PM.
Ivan Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #67
Tech Initiate

nice choice on the rrr
ShAfTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #68
Tech Champion

So antolinez...... what the best car did you buy ?
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #69
Tech Rookie

I decided for the MTX-4.
Thx everyone for the advise.
Antolinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
I decided for the MTX-4.
Thx everyone for the advise.
Great election, for sure that you'll get highly satisfied with the build quality of the car and their performance on the track.
[quote=MugenDrew;2684554]BATTERIES are for FLASH LIGHTS, gasoline is for cleanin parts, alcohol is for me to drink and well NITRO...everybody know thats for racing.[/quote] :D:D:D
Corse-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:08 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag

you adressed some of the comparison on parts with RRR getting the nod because they give you more parts in a particular tree but forgot to mention they charge more for that tree. I actually like buying an arm with out being charged for a brake braket and other useless stuff. As far as clutches are concerned Ive seen a lot of non sponsored drivers using the mugen clutch with the RRR clutch bell on thier RRR.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc racing dude
Is there no end to all this BS!
LOL
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #73
Jye
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.
you adressed some of the comparison on parts with RRR getting the nod because they give you more parts in a particular tree but forgot to mention they charge more for that tree. I actually like buying an arm with out being charged for a brake braket and other useless stuff. As far as clutches are concerned Ive seen a lot of non sponsored drivers using the mugen clutch with the RRR clutch bell on thier RRR.
alot of people use the mugen clutch on thier r40 also. im not sure if it was the whole clutch or just parts but hara even used it on his way back when. how common is it for people to switch to that clutch?
Jye is offline   Reply With Quote