R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default Digital servos or not???

I was looking into getting a spare servo for my nitro sedan and I see alot of guys selling the digital servos. Are they better then the old style? Do they center better? I really see alot of the Hitec ones for sale which makes me wonder about them. Let me know your thoughts on both the good and the bad if any. Thanks
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:28 PM   #2
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to Chris West

You get a faster response out of digitals , but they also suck more current out of your battery. If you do get digitals id go for a futaba s9451 or Ko 2234

Ive heard alot of cases of hitec ones blowing and not lasting very long

or a futaba s9402 which is standard ball raced and metal gears which is a standard servo but a good one batteries last longer using standard
Old 01-10-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default servos

hey, yes they center better and are very responsive, make sure you upgrade the battery because they pull a little more juice out the battery. most everyone probably has a hitech to give you!! lol!! they have good warrantee though. I've never had a futaba fail yet. good luck have fun
Old 01-10-2006, 08:43 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

You`ll need digital servo`s if youre wanting to use the Futaba HRS system .....you`ll also need them to run the new Spektrum HRS receiver with the Futaba 3PK transmitter.
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
I was looking into getting a spare servo for my nitro sedan and I see alot of guys selling the digital servos. Are they better then the old style? Do they center better? I really see alot of the Hitec ones for sale which makes me wonder about them. Let me know your thoughts on both the good and the bad if any. Thanks
Hey Mike we (Vince,Sandra and myself used the Hitec digital servos, for most of last season and had no problems, we swithed over once Vince got the Futaba sponsorship.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:57 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra
Hey Mike we (Vince,Sandra and myself used the Hitec digital servos, for most of last season and had no problems, we swithed over once Vince got the Futaba sponsorship.

What Futaba are you running?
THE DOCTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:23 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DOCTOR
What Futaba are you running?
we were using the 9451, but switched to the 9550, because they are 11 grams lighter.
Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:21 PM   #8

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

I was going to suggest that servo. The futaba 9451 is great , but 9550 is better due to lightweight and compact as well sports very close ratings to 9451. Which makes it better in two ways....one weight and size which makes more compact on the body resulting in less weight transfer in turns...at least when its mounted horizontal on a steering servo in the front.

Maybe small , but everything helps.

You also might laugh but when you dont have hrs system and want to save weight and money the s3003 is actually not that bad. Used it on my r40 , its as fast if not faster than the hitec 625mgs and weighs next to nothing and uses low power.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
You also might laugh but when you dont have hrs system and want to save weight and money the s3003 is actually not that bad. Used it on my r40 , its as fast if not faster than the hitec 625mgs and weighs next to nothing and uses low power.
I use the s3003 servos and i cant justify buying expensive servos just yet, and at $3.50 for replacement gears and $21 for a new servo (AUD $) theyre dirt cheap
Old 01-10-2006, 10:52 PM   #10
Tech Regular

I've had very good experience with the Fut 9550 low profile digital servo. I have two of them, one is two years old and is still fast and accurate.

My buddy and I went thru 4 Hitec 625 throttle servos in a period of three months. The potentiometer went bad on all 4 of them. I'm staying away from that model and switched to Cirrus, a brand Hobby People carries. Model MG62 has metal gears, ball bearings, and is usually on sale for 20$, 0.12sec transit time and about 80 oz torque at 4.8v. I've used the same one for 8 months, and another for 6 months with no problem.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hav_lova
I use the s3003 servos and i cant justify buying expensive servos just yet, and at $3.50 for replacement gears and $21 for a new servo (AUD $) theyre dirt cheap
At first I thought a high torque digital servo was something that you had to have. Then said screw it on my r40 and gave it a try....I was like ok , this works well. Then I got TQ and 1st place with that setup.

Then I said ok this works better than ok, lol. Then you can run lightweight RX pack and not worry about draining it fast.

But one thing that started the thought was hey im always turning down the speed of my servos on my TX....

So I just leave it how it at 100% for the s3003 and it works fine on a touring car. Also replacement is so cheap if you ever have any question you can just throw in a brand new one before a race and not have to worry about burning your wallet.

Good to know im not the only one who thinks like this.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnitro
I've had very good experience with the Fut 9550 low profile digital servo. I have two of them, one is two years old and is still fast and accurate.

My buddy and I went thru 4 Hitec 625 throttle servos in a period of three months. The potentiometer went bad on all 4 of them. I'm staying away from that model and switched to Cirrus, a brand Hobby People carries. Model MG62 has metal gears, ball bearings, and is usually on sale for 20$, 0.12sec transit time and about 80 oz torque at 4.8v. I've used the same one for 8 months, and another for 6 months with no problem.
I bought brand new 625mg it was slow and unresponsive...my s3003 was much quicker and didnt lag. As well when I would go full right the 625mg would bounce back a little from time to time. I immediatly returned it and snagged a couple more s3003 and a s3010. Ive never tried any other servo besides a futaba since....they have never done me wrong.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Slo-MTX4

I have just brought a new Hi-Tec 5925MG it is supposed to be quite fast. My dad races boats and uses alot of Hitec servos and never had any dramas. When i first got my MTX-3 i ran the standard JR NES 577 servo for a couple of race days till it died and then put in a futaba one and never looked back, however my mate has the same JR NES-577 in his and had some big crashes but never hurt one so i guess you also have to have a bit of luck. At the end of the day but i dont think you could go wrong with any of the metal gear high speed digital servos.

PODIFIED ENGINES/Trackside RC
Slo-MTX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:37 PM   #14

Also just a note to everyone...best way to see how good your servo is , stats and heresay aside. Is just get a battery , your rx and hook the sucker up outside of the car.....with nothing on it.

Then you can swap in a few different servos and see for yourself. I know I did this for my comparison on the hitec and so glad I did cause It would have just been installed like im sure everyone else does and tested on track and I wouldnt have noticed these problems or would have probably fooled into thinking it was something else causing the trouble.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:47 PM   #15
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Slotmachine

Hey Mike:
Every time I ran a digital throttle servo they went bad on me, now I run analog and have no problems..............