.21 Sirio?

Old 11-17-2002, 08:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default .21 Sirio?

Has anybody tried the engine for on road? Thinking of getting it for my MRX3 but would like to some feedbacks on its performance and its aluminium sleeve.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Anyone out there with .21 Sirio???

I guess I'll bring this thread alive.

I'm looking motors for my MRX3 for gas season next year. Talked to a good friend of mine that's been racing for many many years and he owns a shop in GA. He said Sirio has some interesting porting and timing and it's top end is ungodly! It's a medium and top end power motor. Sounds good so far...... But no body knows the longevity of this motor yet because of its aluminum sleeve. Yeah, I don't like Trinity as much as the next person, but that's just a name, not made by them so I'm ok with that.

So has anyone actually ran this motor for several races yet?
Old 12-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Well an obvious factor here would be the choice of a softer metal. This engine is built for performance and with reference to Picco who have undoubtedly always had the most powerful yet the weakest engines due to usage of softer materials on the track over the last 15 or so years should perform well but require regular maintainence and rebuilds as a result.

My 2 cents.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

yeah, that's pretty much my concern is, but to clarify more about my concern..... I'm only going to run this motor for maybe 8 races, that's it. Then it'll be going on ebay or someone else. All I care about is will it last 8/9 races? Yeah, it's a very small number, but like you said, with the softer metal, I'm just not sure. I normally don't rebuild my motors, I just get new ones each year and get rid of them at the end of the season.
Old 12-09-2002, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

It should last 8 or 9 race meetings no problem. Take that into retrospect that I run every weekend and this year I will be doing at least 1 3day event, and 4-5 other 2 day events. Thats a total of 59 full days racing plus 52 days practise throughout the rest of the year. This I plan to do on only 6 engines which will all be modified and screaming for mercy. That averages 18 days running per engine.

I dont think you will have a problem with your engine lasting 8 or 9 meetings.
Old 12-09-2002, 10:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Default .21

I have 2 gallons <25%>through my on road sirio .21and It still hauls some serious azz! Compression is still tight. It is as fast as my brothers' rody tuned rb .21 for almost half the price. Also, rc planes have used aac for a long time and those engines last and last. The metals expand and cool together, making the seal and wear more consistent...my 2 cents...for 319.00, it is off the hook. U can't go wrong.
Old 12-09-2002, 11:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, I'm rather convince that I should get one! Any recommendations where I can get the best bargain on the net?
Old 12-10-2002, 03:50 AM
Tech Master

Hey Showtime,

The big difference between your aero engines and your car engines are that you are squeezing the same power from the .21 Sirio as you would be from a 20cc (1.20cu.in.) aero engine. Thats why the aero engine just keeps on running for about 10yrs.

But in saying that you are right about the AAC. But the softer materials dont last as long when you squeeze so much power out of them.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:28 AM
Tech Initiate

Default True..

But, So far, the Sirio is doing fine after all the abuse i have put it through. I think, from what I see so far, it will last as long as my Novarossi r21 has. Which btw has collected dust since I got my Sirio. I ran about 3 gallons through it before a rebuild. We'll see how it goes. I am on gallon 3 now for the Sirio and like I said, it still hauls. I like to try the hot products and so far, it's a gr8 deal for 319.00. Haven't lost a parking lot drag yet either.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:30 AM
Tech Initiate

Default I forgot

RACEMARK,
Ace Hardware hobbies Has it for 319.00.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default sirio engine

Originally posted by Racmark
Ok, I'm rather convince that I should get one! Any recommendations where I can get the best bargain on the net?
which area do you stay ? can't buy sirio .21 aac over there ?

ed
Old 12-10-2002, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

That's good to hear guys! I'll probably get one.... so is $310 cheapest you see at Ace? I've seen them on ebay NIB for $280. I also asked Josh to see if there's any mod he did or someone did to his Nats motor.... but I doubt he would tell me though.
Old 12-10-2002, 05:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: sirio engine

Originally posted by racerchan
which area do you stay ? can't buy sirio .21 aac over there ?

ed
Racerchan, no there isn't any .21 Sirios here in Singapore. Though a LHS has the .12s
Old 12-10-2002, 05:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: sirio engine

Originally posted by Racmark
Racerchan, no there isn't any .21 Sirios here in Singapore. Though a LHS has the .12s
I heard sometime back that wuikiat (city plaza) was bringing in the sirio .21 engines but whatever happened to him recently ?? even if someone has this engine for sale here in Singapore, I doubt it's support on parts.

The nova race big blocks that sim lim groundfloor has (or had) that I saw were pretty attractive priced and I think these should perform pretty well too.

ed
Old 12-10-2002, 06:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Re: Re: sirio engine

Originally posted by racerchan
I heard sometime back that wuikiat (city plaza) was bringing in the sirio .21 engines but whatever happened to him recently ?? even if someone has this engine for sale here in Singapore, I doubt it's support on parts.

The nova race big blocks that sim lim groundfloor has (or had) that I saw were pretty attractive priced and I think these should perform pretty well too.

ed
I heard Wui Kiat is shopless at the moment as his lease had ended. I understand that parts support would be a problem and this is something that I will have to live with as long as no LHS brings them in.

Anyway I'm just very curious about its performance and I do have a Nova Race from Andrew.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.