Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Touring car drag racer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Touring car drag racer

Hi all. Was looking for some advise on setting up my touring car for drag racing. I just built a basically brand new yokomo gt4. Had the kit for years and finally put it together. Anyways I put a solid axle in the front and rear. I also have diffs. Did I make the right choice on the axles? I used the lowest gears I could get. Currently have an lrp z12 r spec 2 engine. Also what would be the best camber and toe adjustment to go in a straight line? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gt72
Hi all. Was looking for some advise on setting up my touring car for drag racing. I just built a basically brand new yokomo gt4. Had the kit for years and finally put it together. Anyways I put a solid axle in the front and rear. I also have diffs. Did I make the right choice on the axles? I used the lowest gears I could get. Currently have an lrp z12 r spec 2 engine. Also what would be the best camber and toe adjustment to go in a straight line? Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!!
Hi, are you going to race on a prepped track(vht) or non prep? If you're going to race on a prepped track i suggest to run minimal camber/toe. heavy shock oil and the most vertical position on the shocks.About the diff, i found the car more easy to drive with diff on the rear/solid on the front.You can use a heavy oil on the diff.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:45 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by macho28
Hi, are you going to race on a prepped track(vht) or non prep? If you're going to race on a prepped track i suggest to run minimal camber/toe. heavy shock oil and the most vertical position on the shocks.About the diff, i found the car more easy to drive with diff on the rear/solid on the front.You can use a heavy oil on the diff.
Hey man, thanks for the tip. Right now I'm doing practice runs on an unprepared street in front of my house. Having some trouble getting the power down. It wants to spin the wheels just after launch and hook left. I'll try putting in the rear diff, and setting my camber and toe to 0°. I'm also running with no body, as it hasn't arrived yet. I'm gonna get the traxxas drag timing tree this week too so I can see my times and tune it better. So you also suggest putting heavy shock oil all around? Also what would u recommend for springs? Thank you very much....
Old 11-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Which transmission?

Hi, one other question, I have 2 different trannys for this car. The older finger type 2 speed, and I have the 2 shoe type also. I'm currently using the old finger type Cuz I thought it might shift quicker and have a more positive shift. I have no experience with the shoe type , but again this will be mostly straight line drag racing, thanks in advance for any feedback....
Old 11-15-2016, 08:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey man, thanks for the tip. Right now I'm doing practice runs on an unprepared street in front of my house. Having some trouble getting the power down. It wants to spin the wheels just after launch and hook left. I'll try putting in the rear diff, and setting my camber and toe to 0°. I'm also running with no body, as it hasn't arrived yet. I'm gonna get the traxxas drag timing tree this week too so I can see my times and tune it better. So you also suggest putting heavy shock oil all around? Also what would u recommend for springs? Thank you very much....

I use heavy oil on all 4 shocks(1000 cst). If your going to race on the street i suggest 2 degrees camber/toe, (i use 1 camber/toe on prepped track) also set the clutch a litle bit softer than normal(.4 or .5mm of gap).on a prepped track you can use a lot more clutch gap,but in a street with no VHT it won't work. for the springs i use the springs that came with the kit(xray nt1). try the diff on the rear and if the car keeps going left, you can adjust the shocks(preload) if the car hook to the left, put more tension on the left rear shock. don't forget to run soft tires(30 or 32 shore)

here's a vid of my car on a local track
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09HsuMMWAM
Old 11-15-2016, 08:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi, one other question, I have 2 different trannys for this car. The older finger type 2 speed, and I have the 2 shoe type also. I'm currently using the old finger type Cuz I thought it might shift quicker and have a more positive shift. I have no experience with the shoe type , but again this will be mostly straight line drag racing, thanks in advance for any feedback....

Well,my only experience is with the new style tranny but,if you like how the car feels with the older tranny then i suggest leave it that way untill you get the traxxas timming system then you can test that setup and change to the shoe type and see wich one perform better
Old 11-19-2016, 06:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by macho28
Well,my only experience is with the new style tranny but,if you like how the car feels with the older tranny then i suggest leave it that way untill you get the traxxas timming system then you can test that setup and change to the shoe type and see wich one perform better
Your car is awesome man! Do you run a small block? Also I don't have a centax clutch . It's just a 3 shoe. I assume that the clutch upgrade would be well worth it? Anyways I'm gonna try to post some pics of my gt4 build.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Your car is awesome man! Do you run a small block? Also I don't have a centax clutch . It's just a 3 shoe. I assume that the clutch upgrade would be well worth it? Anyways I'm gonna try to post some pics of my gt4 build.

I run a .15 small block nova. About the clutch i think te centax will help you