R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-06-2006, 12:48 PM   #46
Tech Adept

What is the problem with the lap counting? Tell me before I thow another 50 bucks on the toillet..
eduardo_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:17 PM   #47
Tech Apprentice

Default Spektrum telemetry

I ahve tried everything since my last postage except the rpm/speed function. Since we are running foam tires therefore it will not show an exact rollout since the tires are constantly changing its size. What I am concern is the temp and lap counter. For temp is OK and I can live with it becuase even temp guns can vary by huge margins. The idea is to develop a constant temp readings and I can use it as reference. As for lap counter at first we had problems with it becuase of the location we put on the beamer and ir sensor. The way I resolve it is to place the sensor closest on 1 side as possible and place the beamer on the slowest part of the track. This will solve almost everything and the lap times are great. I think the system is primarily for those who cannot have a pit man with you all the time and when you are on yr own, the system is a plus. I remember the old days when we did not have that there is still good racing and now I don't have to compalin 'what if' I did or did not do anything to the car becuase I am not sure if it will make it faster/slower. It is not a perfert system but it serves my purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
What is the problem with the lap counting? Tell me before I thow another 50 bucks on the toillet..
slide_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 03:36 AM   #48
Tech Adept

Thanks for the hints. I manage to ajust the temp gauge and now I'm getting consistent readings (3 degrees of difference with the temp gun). I put the sensor on the 3th fin (from down up), in the same level of the glow plug. The sensor is very slow if you compare with the temp gun, so, you may get different readings if the sensor is still heating up.
I tested the RPM gauge again and I couldn't get consistent readings again. I instaled it on the midlle shaft of the 710 and made a back line in the shaft using black ink. If the line is to narrow, I could take consistent reading at slow speed, but does not work at high speeds. If I make the back line wide, the sensor detects more revolutions than the real RPM. Moreover, It is very slow, like 1 reading per second, so it will not be able to detect the high speed (for geraring purposes) with precision. Therefore, it is not usefull at all.
I bought the kit only for the lap time, so I will try it as soon as the IR beam arrives here. The telemetry is also very useful for the bat readings. My spektum receiver shuts down at 5 volts, so its important to monitor the battery since I don't have space on 710 to use high capacity bateries. I'm using 950 mah batteries, with gives me 1 hour of racing.

regards
Old 02-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #49
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Can anyone confirm if the spektrum telemetry works with the Spektrum Radio DX3?
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 02:24 AM   #50
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfoolz
I too am not realy impresses so far...Temps are Way OFF!!!! and the RPM sensor is not giving me feedback as I would like. So far the lap counting parts is ok, but having problems with it picking up the way I would like to see it. I am removing it from the car this week as I won't be needing it at the winternats. If anybody is interested in it, I would make them a good deal and I have the trigger too.....I have new RPM sensor in package for it as well.
I don't think the temp reading is way off.
It's just different then what you see with an IR gun....doesn't have to be wrong!
I have a Venom Smart Temp on my car and got higher readings then what you would expect.
Then I checked the temp meter by putting the loop in boiling water.
It read exactly 100 Celsius: perfect.
With an IR gun it depends on a lot of things what temp you read: some people measure on the cooling fins, but then it depends on outside temp, type of cooling head, material etc etc.
If I have my loop tight around the combustion chamber, the engine runs fine and the temps read (let's say) 150 C, then it's fine....
Then I can keep this as reference...
When it reads 130C, then I know it's too rich...because there are no other factors that influence the reading because it's so close to the source.
The best thing would be to have a temp sensor in the combustion chamber wall.
Ridder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 05:12 AM   #51
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Thumbs down

Got my system and have a ? I'm putting it on a Gen LE, just for general input. I had the feeling there would be a problem and there is. The trk is so big that the leads won't reach. I don't know why these vendors are so tight with the wire length. Longer is much better than too short. Anyway, to the ? Can I lengthen or use plug in extensions without any problems. This is just like the street rod game. They sell it, you make it fit or work .. lol ..
nomobux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

im trying to program the roll out and am getting some wierd readings like MPH is WAY high, are the instructions in the manual incorrect? mine says measure the distance the car travels after 10 revolutions, for example mine measured 14 inches. then devide by 10... which equals 1.4, but this cant be right?? then i called horizon and they told me to divide that number by 12 which would give me.11 so i rounded up and this too was WAAAY off. do i need to divide the distance traveled by 12? which would give me 1.1 the mph on this reading seem correct but im not sure. any help is appreciated.
prossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:17 PM   #53
Tech Elite

I just tested the telemetry system today. Temps were way off like rcfoolz. I moved the temp sensor to the third fin [from bottom to top] (Im using a TZ), and it had a 3-8 margin of error from my temp gun. Basicly, the system has everything I need, battery voltage, signal strength (yes, i need this cuz sometimes i drive way off) and temperature.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:22 PM   #54
Tech Apprentice

so when the temp sensor is lower on the head are the readings hotter?
prossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:02 PM   #55
Tech Elite

Yes... On the lower fin, temps were 20 degrees off. I moved it to the third fin like someone suggested earlier, to be the same height of the glow plug. And the margin of error was smaller. Like it has been said... this is only to be used as a reference in whether your adjustments made an improvement on your engine or not.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #56
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
Good stuff , how was superior. I wanted to go but I got in late last night from Toronto.

Do you think an on-board temp guage that can give you a max reading would be as effective? I guess it would be until you overheat , but with the venom one you can set it to reduce your cars throttle until it cools down some.

Good information though , keep us updated.

AI let us know what you find out!
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:56 AM   #57
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by prossi
im trying to program the roll out and am getting some wierd readings like MPH is WAY high, are the instructions in the manual incorrect? mine says measure the distance the car travels after 10 revolutions, for example mine measured 14 inches. then devide by 10... which equals 1.4, but this cant be right?? then i called horizon and they told me to divide that number by 12 which would give me.11 so i rounded up and this too was WAAAY off. do i need to divide the distance traveled by 12? which would give me 1.1 the mph on this reading seem correct but im not sure. any help is appreciated.
I had the same problem and I give up of this sensor. I think the instructions are wrong or my sensor is detecting the black tag more than one time per revolution. However, this reading is so slow (like 1 reading per second), which makes the sensor useless. I was planning to compare the top speed versus the lap time, but It is almost impossible to detect the top speed (you can't trust that the sensor will read the speed at the end of the straight)
Regarding the temp reading, YES, the temperature is higher on the bottom of the engine. As somebody said before, it gives you an reference, but is desired to have the temp gun and the telemetry at the same reference. If you put your sensor at the same level of the glow pug(in my case at the third fin from bottom up), you will have a consistent reading with your temp gun
Old 02-13-2006, 05:04 AM   #58
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Like I said above, no way to put on my Gen. Leads are too short. Ordered extensions and a Y. Should be here thurs. I'm getting bad vibes on this whole deal .. lol
nomobux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 08:48 AM   #59
Tech Elite

Dont worry, I had to solder a few cables i ripped from non-functioning servos so i could make the Y. This is basicly the only flaw I see of not providing us with the Y cable.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #60
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomobux
Like I said above, no way to put on my Gen. Leads are too short. Ordered extensions and a Y. Should be here thurs. I'm getting bad vibes on this whole deal .. lol
Why do you need the Y cable? I connected the battery at the AUX port and the telemetry at the bat/telemetry port. No Y cable needed.
You can make a longer cable using futaba conectors. I did it and worked fine......