R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-17-2006, 08:00 PM   #31
Tech Apprentice

Default telementery info

Finally got the kit and extra IR beamer. First of all this is not a new product as Serpent has its DRX2000 years ago but it is a chip based product therefore you need to download the info after your run with no lap counting. I run 8th scale therefore the space is much easier for me to put all these little things into the car with space to share. Regarding the temp probe do not expect it will be exactly the same reading as your temp gun becuase you take readings on different parts of the engine. The main idea is to get a consistent reading with the loop that goes into the same area on different engines. For example I am now looping the wires on the last fin (lower) of the engine using a c shape clip (made out of bent wires of a paper clip) so that the contact point stays there and won't get loose. For rpm gauge I just don't bother becuase I want the lap counting to do the work for me. Initial test is pretty good as all funtion normal and the last part will be at the track side with the IR beamer. More onto this once completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riketsu
I meant the temperature sensor. Where on the engine head did you place it?
slide_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:53 AM   #32
InV
Tech Rookie

Nice reports so far - can't wait for a detailed review of the lap counting system
InV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:08 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Hi guys:

How many lap times does it store?
Does it have an alarm if the engine is too hot?
Can the data be downloaded to a PC (I guess it can't)?

Regards

Eduardo
eduardo_garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:15 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/D...ProdID=SPM1300

Doesnt look like it can be plugged into your laptop. It would make it a little more worthwhile if it could be I guess. I am pretty skeptical of it. For the money, it seems to be a waste.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:24 PM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Default Further testing

Have tried for the first time on track yesterday. The primary function is to test the lap counter and so far it is OK. Need to get a position so that all laps can be calculated. So far for a 5 minute run I will get 1/3 of the laps missing and this has to do with the positioning of the sensor and the IR beamer. I will try to raise the sensor mounting position higher so that it will run parrallel to the IR beamer. For the rest of the function it wo rks perfectly. Temperature sensor works really well and it is very consistent. Just a hair difference from my IR temp gauge and it is a true advantage. Will try again and see what happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide_228
Finally got the kit and extra IR beamer. First of all this is not a new product as Serpent has its DRX2000 years ago but it is a chip based product therefore you need to download the info after your run with no lap counting. I run 8th scale therefore the space is much easier for me to put all these little things into the car with space to share. Regarding the temp probe do not expect it will be exactly the same reading as your temp gun becuase you take readings on different parts of the engine. The main idea is to get a consistent reading with the loop that goes into the same area on different engines. For example I am now looping the wires on the last fin (lower) of the engine using a c shape clip (made out of bent wires of a paper clip) so that the contact point stays there and won't get loose. For rpm gauge I just don't bother becuase I want the lap counting to do the work for me. Initial test is pretty good as all funtion normal and the last part will be at the track side with the IR beamer. More onto this once completed.
slide_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:35 PM   #36
Tech Initiate

Default The bleeding edge

Hi All,

I read your reports with great interest. Over time no doubt you guys will solve all the issues listed so far.

I think the real issue will be that you will not be able to download the information collected to your PC.
texasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:00 AM   #37
Tech Adept

im from australia and from what i hear you cant run or use spektrum telemetry in events like the summernats or state titles because it dosent comply with AARCMCC rules ask someone in the australia aarcmcc section of rctech for more info im not sure if im 100% correct but i think its right

cheers chris
nitro_racer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2006, 04:58 PM   #38
Tech Adept

So you can't run the spektrum DX3 radio system
ChApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 03:01 AM   #39
Tech Adept

Hi there:

Does anybody figure out how can we ajust the roll out variable to get the speed in Km/h?

regards

Eduardo
Old 02-06-2006, 04:34 AM   #40
Tech Adept

Hi guys:

I tested my telemetry kit saturday and I'm very disapointed. The RPM/speed sensor give me crazy readings, like 700 mph of top speed. The sensor also didn't give me accurate temps, like almost 20 C hotter than my temp gun. I placed the sensor in the last fin (lower) of the engine.
I didn't get a IR beamer, so I couldn't test the the lap count sensor, but I think I will not buy it until somebody gives a good feedback of it here.

regards

Eduardo
Old 02-06-2006, 05:29 AM   #41
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
Hi there:

Does anybody figure out how can we ajust the roll out variable to get the speed in Km/h?

regards

Eduardo
I think that if you enter the rollout distance in centimetres (or metres) you will get Kph. All the system is doing is taking your roll-out distance and multiplying it by the number of revolutions
Nige69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 06:54 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Kyosho3PKRacer Send a message via MSN to Kyosho3PKRacer

Yes you have probably set it up wrong to get a speed like that, and instead of putting the temp sensor in and then seeing its 20c out and saying its wrong you should try running the car then using your temp gun to see what its at and put the sensor somewhere where it will give a reading thats close to that.

Common sense prevails, it will take time but if you take time to set it all up properly and do testing i'm sure you will find it is very good.

Or like me you can just not bother at all with it, you don't need technical stuff like this anyway. They never had this stuff 20 years ago and they still managed to have great racing.
If you need this to get advantage then maybe you should be looking at your driving rather than spending outrageous amounts on electrical equipment.
Kyosho3PKRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Well, I'm only interesting on the lap time, the sensors are an extra. I consider the lap timing a very important to to develop the my driving style. From this point of view, the spektrum module is a low cost for lap time measurements.
About the RPM, I was using the Roll out =1, which should give me the RPM, but I read 100000 RPM on the shaft, which is wrong. I will repaint the black mark on the shaft (making it narrow) to see if it works better.
The temp probe is wrong for sure, since I pointed the temp gun on the sensor. I will try another spot to see if it works better.
I will post more info after some tests

regards
Old 02-06-2006, 10:07 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo_garcia
Well, I'm only interesting on the lap time, the sensors are an extra. I consider the lap timing a very important to to develop the my driving style. From this point of view, the spektrum module is a low cost for lap time measurements.
About the RPM, I was using the Roll out =1, which should give me the RPM, but I read 100000 RPM on the shaft, which is wrong. I will repaint the black mark on the shaft (making it narrow) to see if it works better.
The temp probe is wrong for sure, since I pointed the temp gun on the sensor. I will try another spot to see if it works better.
I will post more info after some tests

regards
Remember that all temp guns are quite different and all of them have a margin of error. Some of them are designed to take the temperature at a certain point of the engine. I havent tested mine, but I had to take out my rpm sensor since its not taking readings on my front diff of my MTX-4.

Any suggestions on where else to place it?
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2006, 12:39 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I too am not realy impresses so far...Temps are Way OFF!!!! and the RPM sensor is not giving me feedback as I would like. So far the lap counting parts is ok, but having problems with it picking up the way I would like to see it. I am removing it from the car this week as I won't be needing it at the winternats. If anybody is interested in it, I would make them a good deal and I have the trigger too.....I have new RPM sensor in package for it as well.