R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-07-2006, 05:16 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rcfoolz

I didn't know you had the spektrum radio, sorry. Call Horizon, they have parts in stock, I had to call them for a part too, they are sending it to me NQA.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #17
Tech Addict

how valuable is the information ????
is it worthwhile getting???
and will it help get the best from your car ???

(sorry for all the questions in one hit )
ae_ntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 05:21 AM   #18
Tech Regular

whats the diff b/w the nitro and the electric version?
qwerty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 08:03 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Tested it today. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I am going to test it one more day at FT myers. I have mixed feelings about it for now, but I like 2 of the 4 feedback items. Battery is an excellent feedback, and Temp is off by about 8deg F (lower)........Still working with the Trigger for lap times. It seems to have for some reason messed with the AMB system and a couple amb transponders didn't read while the trigger was on. I don't know why, but I will test again this weekend.
Old 01-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #20

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Good stuff , how was superior. I wanted to go but I got in late last night from Toronto.

Do you think an on-board temp guage that can give you a max reading would be as effective? I guess it would be until you overheat , but with the venom one you can set it to reduce your cars throttle until it cools down some.

Good information though , keep us updated.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 02:48 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

I know I ran my Orion infared system with ABM and had no issues. I sure can't see where there would be any interference with the systems being different sensing methodology.. but I sure am not qualified to say. Anxious to here how your furthere testing goes.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 05:22 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

I finished my install on the 960 last night, and it all appears to work. I will give it the real test next week at the Mexico City race at Pegosa. I called Horizon Support and asked them how I was to get power to it if the telemetry unit plugged into the battery port on the receiver. After some time on hold, they responded that I could plug the battery into the Aux port on the DSM receiver. I then asked how I was to power my PT as it is in that port. They then said I would have to buy or build some sort of splitter to get it to work. I told them I thought that was inadequate for the kit and wanted to voice my complaint to a supervisor, which was denied. I did find a real compact and short Futaba cable that had a small block on the female end that took two male cables so it was a lot nicer than a Y cable and a lot of extra wire. The RPM sensor came with two mounting brackets, neither which would work with my Mega ZX .21. The larger was way to small (short) and the mounting holes were way to close together. I fabed a bracket out of an old piece of graphite and ran it off the upper deck back under the carb to the back of the flyweek.

All in all it wasn't too bad because of the good info that was posted here. The setup on the module was simple and well defined in the book. I have yet to buy the lap counting device but will when I return from Mexico, if everything else works well.

Will post more results after next weekend.
Doug Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 07:14 PM   #23
Tech Elite

I tested at FT myers this weekend. I personally wasn't happy with the temp feedback. I checked it against my $280 temp gun and it was off by about 40 deg...too hot....This can be resolved by taking time to find the place to put the temp loop on each engine, so realy, it isn't that bad. I don't have the RPM hooked up right now, I need to make a spread sheet to cover all the optional gearing, for rollout so I can get MPH, which is more inportant than RPM. I am going to place the sensor in another location other than engine.....maybee on a shaft or a place on the break hub.

I didn't have a good run this weekend, it was one thing after another. I think this system will work very well on smaller tracks. I will test the lap system part more later, I need to make a mount for the receiving eye, as it kept turning on me and I didn't get a good read.

So, as of right now, my opinion is about a 3.5 on a scale of 1 - 5. It defenitly has room to become a 5 after I figure the rest of the bugs out.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:10 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

So, you have to buy a 50 dollar box to get the $150 gadget to do one of the things it is supposed to do, and the temp meter does not work? 40 degrees off is not acceptable in my eyes for this type of money and the weight you are adding to the car.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Riketsu

Im wondering if the mod you did to the flywheel will hurt more than help. Since Flywheels are weight balanced and by taking that chunk off, your changing that balance.
Riketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 02:03 AM   #26
Tech Elite

The tiny flat spot I did, was nothing realy, about 2 teath flattened out, but I though about that and put a new one on. I tested putting the wire loop in a different area today and now I have an 8 deg difference in temp, consistant, so this I am much happier about. I am looking to put the sensor on the front drive one-way to give MPH speed. I feel this is much more important in MPH than RPM. and makes more sense to me.
Old 01-17-2006, 08:43 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Can you please post a pic of where on the engine you placed the temp sensor now?
Old 01-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #28

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Hmm you just gave me an idea. I have a wheel/prop balancer that I could use on my flywheel to see if it is balanced....would be cool to see if a brand new flywheel is balanced perfectly or not.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 09:50 AM   #29
Tech Elite

Riketsu: go back to post #2 of this thread, and you can see the two pictures I posted on how I placed the RPM unit. I now am changing the location. I am mouning it at the front drive unit. It will be much easier to calculate MPH this way. When I get the mount done, I will post pics. I won't be able to get it done before next week, as I am going to NYC.
Old 01-17-2006, 06:44 PM   #30
Tech Elite

I meant the temperature sensor. Where on the engine head did you place it?