R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-17-2002, 10:20 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Default Which car?

I had the opportunity to see the new Mugen MTX-3 chassis last night and it looks very nice. Mugen has made some significant design changes that should improve it's durability and make this a better overall car to drive. BUT does that make the Mugen better than anything else aready on the market, I doubt it.

Since most of the cars are designed after 1/8 scale on-road cars, thats about as state of the art as you can get.

Buy the brand of car that strikes your fancy and that has some local support in your area. They're ALL very competitive to each other.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2002, 05:51 PM   #17
Tech Master

As with all nitro 1/10 touring cars, they're is not one car necessarilly better, but different. I think that the changes made to the MTX make it ,overall, better than the original, but its not the best for every situation. So, I totally agree w/ pops.

Oh yeah, the Vision (GS), is closer to the Mugen MTX-2 b/c you can use fioroni parts on both, but it is hard to tell and doesn't matter much to me.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:28 PM   #18
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

callimassive: What exactly are you thanking DCR1TWO for. No where in his post did he support your thoughts that Trinity was somehow wrong for starting their nitro car with the V-One R as their base. Nor did he support your obvious hatred for Trinity. The only thing you two said the same is that the Reflex was a hopped up V-One R, and we all knew that already.

I do understand that you don't like when a company obviously copies another company's design and then markets it as their own, but what exactly do you expect them to do? Almost all the current 3 belt nitro cars are knock-offs of Serpents Impulse. So should everyone get rid of names like MTX-2, V-One R, Reflex NT, Vision or whatever, and just go with "Serpent knock-off 1" Serpent knock-off 2"...etc....etc....

I used to own a Corally C4.1. I thought the X-Ray was just a copy, but I never made anyone think they shouldn't buy one just because of that. So like I said, I know what your saying, but still its not so serious that it got to the point where it really bothered me. Especially since I don't get any profits from either company!

What I don't understand is this deep rooted hatred some people have for Trinity. "they make a lot of crappy stuff" is what a lot of people say(including you). Now I don't know much about those wierdo things they make like the Brush factory and stuff like that. I don't mess with that stuff much. I do know they have made and currently do make world class and world championship batteries, motors, and kits in 1/10 on-road(before it died off) and 1/12 on-road. So they do make some good stuff.

I just look at the Reflex as them taking a shot at a new class. And to me it makes sense to start with a good working design. I plan on trying a Nitro TC next season and I decided to go with the Reflex. Not because I dislike Kyosho or because I don't know that the Reflex was created from Kyosho's design. It was because I like the look of the car. It was like I was looking at a V-One R that had all the hop-ups I wanted, but not more than I needed(a la the V-One RR with the front one-way and all that).

Thats when I realized why some people got the X-Ray when they could have gotten the original in the Corally. It wasn't because they didn't know they were nearly the same, it was because some of them simply liked the X-Ray better. The same is true for the V-One R and Reflex.

Last edited by Darkseid; 11-19-2002 at 01:32 PM.
Darkseid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 01:36 PM   #19
Regional Moderator

Besides, does it really matter. Most people look at it as all belt drive cars against the NTC3 anyway!
Old 11-19-2002, 02:13 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
I do understand that you don't like when a company obviously copies another company's design and then markets it as their own, but what exactly do you expect them to do? Almost all the current 3 belt nitro cars are knock-offs of Serpents Impulse. So should everyone get rid of names like MTX-2, V-One R, Reflex NT, Vision or whatever, and just go with "Serpent knock-off 1" Serpent knock-off 2"...etc....etc....

They are not direct copies of the Serpent. I.E. they did not take parts intended for the Serpent and make an identical car. That is what Trinity did, then called it there own design. Do I care? Yeah I do. Cause there's people like Smitty that make their own parts, that take pride in what they do, and have spent so much of ther time designing there own products, and then to have companies like Trinity totally disregard that kind of fair play and creative spirit? does it bug me? Yeah it does. But that's just me. As far as the Reflex being a DIRECT copy of the V1R and the difference between that and the other cars not being a direct copy but having evolved from the Serpent, there is an obvious difference. So whatever about that. Furthermore, if this is something that doesnt bother you per se, as you stated
"Besides, does it really matter." then dont worry about it and dont respond. Everyone already knows what im saying? then ok cool. I made my point, but dont claim that other cars directly copied the Serpent, they were inspired by the Serpent, they did not take the majority of parts directly from it, that is a totally different thing. You obviously dont seem to get that subtle but very important distinction. By your logic the Honda Accord, for example, is a direct copy of whatever car was the original inspiration for that class of car, "sport sedan", but we all know that does not translate to "direct copy" rather its an "evolution" of a concept. Now if I was to take a Honda Accord and take parts intended for it and change a few minute things so that one had to buy parts from me and then call it my own design, that's totally different. That is not inspired or evolved from that is flat out ripping it off. A variation on a design is different than a rip off of a design. Can you not understand that subtle but important distinction?

Last edited by calimassive; 11-19-2002 at 02:36 PM.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 02:57 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Furthermore, you're being an apologist for Trinity. Do we really need that? Moreover, if you dont really care... then why do you have such a huge speech trying to be apologetic about Trinity's BS??? Do you work for them?? I have a big speech or two myself about the matter, but at least I really care.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:26 PM   #22
rjl
Tech Fanatic

Kyosho and Trinity have had a very long association!
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 03:36 PM   #23
Tech Regular

yeah, they have, so obviously none of this is a conicidence.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:50 PM   #24
rjl
Tech Fanatic

I don't know what one of those is.
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 05:59 PM   #25
Regional Moderator

calimassive: no I don't work for them. Look under my name, I live in Kansas, does anybody that works for one of the major companies in RC live in Kansas?

I guess you haven't seen any of my post around, I make long speeches about everything....thats just what I do.

I was actually trying to say that I understood why you didn't like the copying thing, guess I didn't say it the right way. I used to think the same way, but got over it.

I'm not apologizing for anybody. At least I didn't think I was. Was I lying when I said Trinity has made championship caliber kits in other classes? So they do know how to make quality stuff. Personally, I just think that it isn't that big a deal. This is after all just a hobby. And I responded because its a public board, if you want to have private conversations, this isn't the place.

I obviously misunderstood your devotion to the issue, so I'll leave it alone before you start shooting or suicide bombing or some other crazy crap.

I just think both cars look good and both have their good points. Thats all.

I was just throwing my two cents in.....I didn't know the issue was THAT serious with you. My bad.
Old 11-19-2002, 06:05 PM   #26
Regional Moderator

And by the way, I was just joking around with the "does it really matter" thing. Because most people feel that its the shaft drive vs. the belt drive nowadays, even in nitro.

Just messing around and trying to keep the mood light and fun.

Again my bad!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:48 PM   #27
Suspended

Send a message via ICQ to maxboost

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkseid
callimassive: What exactly are you thanking DCR1TWO for. No where in his post did he support your thoughts that Trinity was somehow wrong for starting their nitro car with the V-One R as their base. Nor did he support your obvious hatred for Trinity. The only thing you two said the same is that the Reflex was a hopped up V-One R, and we all knew that already.

I used to own a Corally C4.1. I thought the X-Ray was just a copy, but I never made anyone think they shouldn't buy one just because of that. So like I said, I know what your saying, but still its not so serious that it got to the point where it really bothered me. Especially since I don't get any profits from either company!

What I don't understand is this deep rooted hatred some people have for Trinity. "they make a lot of crappy stuff" is what a lot of people say(including you). Now I don't know much about those wierdo things they make like the Brush factory and stuff like that. I don't mess with that stuff much. I do know they have made and currently do make world class and world championship batteries, motors, and kits in 1/10 on-road(before it died off) and 1/12 on-road. So they do make some good stuff.

I just look at the Reflex as them taking a shot at a new class. And to me it makes sense to start with a good working design. I plan on trying a Nitro TC next season and I decided to go with the Reflex. Not because I dislike Kyosho or because I don't know that the Reflex was created from Kyosho's design. It was because I like the look of the car. It was like I was looking at a V-One R that had all the hop-ups I wanted, but not more than I needed(a la the V-One RR with the front one-way and all that).

Thats when I realized why some people got the X-Ray when they could have gotten the original in the Corally. It wasn't because they didn't know they were nearly the same, it was because some of them simply liked the X-Ray better. The same is true for the V-One R and Reflex.

i apologize for calimassive, he obviously being a smart ass. he wants to spread to other people his hatred to trinity juz coz he dont like them. he obviously have mental illness. so far, he got 309 of nonsense post. can we say post whore?
maxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2002, 08:07 PM   #28
Regional Moderator

I was just messing around. I wasn't trying to make anybody mad.

Especially since I like both cars.
Old 11-19-2002, 09:18 PM   #29
Tech Regular

Darkseid, I wasnt trying to start crap with you at all. I respect your opinion; and your right, its just a hobby. I wasnt trying to get all super serious about it. I do that sometimes, that's just what I do. Get all serious about stuff and come off the wrong way. I apologize if it came off nasty.
I just felt there was a distinction to be made where you thought there wasnt. It's all good. I think both cars are good. The Reflex is a solid car; both are good. Its all about who's behind the wheel and what your personal tastes are. I have no beef with the car itself, just some things Trinity as a company does. I think in essence we agreed. I was just more militant about it.

Last edited by calimassive; 11-19-2002 at 09:24 PM.