R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-20-2002, 10:49 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

my first gas car was an associated nitro dual sport...all the guys were racing Kyosho spyders at the time...they were racing at Garden state plaza mall in Paramus NJ...this wa about 5 years ago..

anyway,I built this DS,put a Cv 12 in it and a PCM reciver(my first radio was a 3 pj PCM)

I loved my first car.....I was really proud of it my first night showing up....as a rule of thumb,I never allow anyone to drive my cars or motorcyclkes(or lend tools,for that matter)....but one of the racers wnated to try my new car,so I let him(trying to fit in,be a good guy,etc)..

He ran it a few laps,did real well with it....as he slowed the car down,it took off like a shot,hit the curb,and bent the chassis......

I almost cried.......as it turned out,I was using alkaline batterys,and that tripped the battery failsafe on the PCM....causing the throttle servo to twitch(big time)...

Futaba had no warning in the book...(they do now,thanks to me)...

when using battery failsafe,you have to use nicads because of the discharge curve.....

lessons learned first time racing?????????

DONT LET ANYONE DRIVE YOUR CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw,teh guy who crashed it was kind enough to offer to pay..i refused,and thanked him...racing bikes,I learned that it was my fault for letting him drive the car,not his.....

BTW,his name was stan....he later moved to WA and opened redmond hobbies.....

Last edited by fastharry™; 11-20-2002 at 01:41 PM.
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 01:33 PM   #17
Tech Elite

(Not counting when I used to race dirt when I was little) My first race was with a Veteq w/ Rody modified C4 (I got it from a friend for a great deal), needless to say I was all over the place. I had no tire truer, didn't know what overdrive, split was and had no knowledge of that Veteq at all (Thank god I got rid of it quickly, POS!) I pretty much hit everything moving and not moving. Did a helicopter spin about 6 ft up in the air.....spectacular!

My advice is find a person that has the same car as you and make him your new best friend and ask a lot of questions. At least for my club, we are all willing to drop things to help the new guys and give them a minute or two before the heats.

BTW, Stan is a pretty cool cat...met him when I was up there one time, too bad they race HPI and drop tons of money for hopups, and they are still POS! Though it's good that Redmond Hobbies is a KO dealer!
Old 11-20-2002, 01:45 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

yep,he is....BTW,I love my veteq...that car,on a parking lot surface runs great...but your right,you have to REALLY get to know the car..

but your right on the money with the HPI....I own 17 of them(what a moron I am).....even gave the SS a shot for 4 months....

you know what?......not even close to my tc3 nitro's(or my Impulse for that matter)....

and with no forum?.........forget HPI...
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2002, 03:01 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Ok, I do have to take that HPI comment back somewhat..... Our 2002 Region 11 1/8th On road Champion actually drives a HPI Proceed. So that car is capable to win big races in good hands. And also Gambini is an awesome driver, you give him an RC500, he could probably still win Regionals.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:20 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

Default WOW PSYCHO

Psycho,
That was some GREAT advice. I will try to remember those 7 points when i hopefully do my first race. THanks!
r/c_chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 06:41 PM   #21
Tech Master

Where are you at, r/c_chica? If you're around the South Bay and you have an electric car, you should come out to Sheldon's Hobbies in San Jose on 12/14. That's when the next race is scheduled, weather permitting. Their racing program is very mellow and newbie friendly, so that would be a great first race for you. The classes are stock sedan (sportsman and expert,) mod sedan (sportsman and expert,) mod 1/18 scale micro, and Tamiya tub chassis/540 motor, plus "run what ya brung, 3 cars make a class." There are usually enough F1 cars to race them as well. Unfortunately, no nitro cars are allowed due to unfriendly neighbors! Even if you don't have electric cars, you can check out the races and see how they work. Maybe you'll be inspired to come race electric with us!
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 04:39 PM   #22
Tech Rookie

Default Sounds good

Ok, first of all, I only have nitro... But, maybe I can go and check out the races. I live near San Jose, so that should be good. Thanks!
r/c_chica is offline   Reply With Quote