R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-13-2002, 09:05 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Piston/Sleeve Resizing Die

Tool & Die Maker Hoping for some serious feedback/replies/emails: I have been intrigued with the process of piston/sleeve resizing. I had a few sets(4 total) done and was very pleased. Most pleased when the sleeve was compressed on the extream side, leaving me material for lapping. Anyway, I kicked Die (TOOLING) Ideas around for a long time, and finally EXACUTED the build. As for the usual testing required, I was prepared with (2) worn out novarossi line (.12 ) piston/sleeve sets, along with a brand new in the package set (esential for referance point. Both the upper and lower shoe to die set can be held in one hand, that can allso be run with a simple press, or even a heavyduty vise for that matter. I compressed one sleeve 0.0003" smaller on bore ID, while the other 0.001".........Can go more. Now, I will skipp right thru the un difficult break-in of engines and tell you guys that my SX12, MT12, XN12 all with piston/sleeves resized with my Die and lapping proceedure not only "Run like raped apes" , they allso will out last the "Deracell Bunny". I have ideled these egines for 30/40 minutes, and beat the living snot out of them for as long. MT12 with 2 Gallons fuel usage has ungodly compression. Please be advised that this Thread was not posted to get myself into the piston/sleeve resizing service... I am a Tool & Die maker. I do believe the Die set (tooling) to be userfriendly for the Intermediate/addvanced.....will be afordable. Now lets all talk about the upsides and downsides you guys may see. My Regards,
TOOLING: http://www.rayaracing.com/prodtooling.htm
RayA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:53 AM   #2
Tech Adept

It sound like a good Idea, but my only concern would be the chrome plating and if it would chip. Otherwise it sounds good if it is easy to do, I always wanted to readjust the pinch point on my motors, If this will allow that I cant wait.
JPHRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 06:16 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

OSROCKET has been doing this for a long time with incredible results.
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 07:32 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

Hey Pre1960,
Drop me an E-mail at [email protected]
Lets talk
Smitty
smittys800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2002, 03:25 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

My father pinched a sleeve for me from a O.S. .21 that has worked great. His friend owns a very high tech. machine shop and let my father use his machinery. The sleeve was baked in a furnace for 90 minutes, then squuezed on a computerized hydraulic press. It was tighter than when brand new. It really seems faster than when new and runs 20 degrees cooler with excellent run times. I'm very impressed with this technique.
nitrogator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 06:53 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to bbntc3

Anybody doing this on the side? I have a RB Concepts 5 port piston and sleeve I'd like to have worked. By doing this is the outer diameter of the sleeve smaller now? If the outer diameter is smaller would'nt the sleeve wobble in the engine block and wear the block or liner out again? I'm a gas and diesel engine rebuilder by trade, years ago with engines before they were sleeved we would just knurl the piston to take up the slack, anybody every thought about knurling?

BB
bbntc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2002, 08:27 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you really want to try try squeezing the sleeve find someone with a lathe and a good collet selection. all you need to do is clamp the sleeve with it slid all the way in the collet. clamp load on a collet is created by screwing it deeper in the draw bar arm. when you pull it down and lock the arm it pinches the upper part of the sleeve. Clamp it remove it and check it. It is a sneek up on it thing but it only takes about five minutes.

personally if I feel inclined to do it I use a hardinge lathe but I rarely have a need.
Old 11-22-2002, 10:40 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Default Piston/Sleeve Resizing Die

First , I would like to thank those who visited & replyed to this thread , and the many emails I have recieved . The emails in itself have made for a weeks work. Now for my response to replys: Reply#1 The chrome plating does not chip and the OD is effected less than the compressed ID . The pinch point, and emediate taper befor ,is the only area that is precisley/uniformly reconstructed. Reply#2 Osrocket provides an excelent service . Reply #3 Although I do not see the benafit in applying heat to this type procedure, I am a firm beliver , "Theres more than one way to skin a cat". #4 Very pleased with our connection, Smitty! #5 Any kind of knurling would totaly contradict surface finish/perforance. #6 Metode of lathe collet pinch was , I do addmit, my first attempt ,and first failure. Even the most precise collet system , will destort work piece(piston sleeve)effecting unintended area of focus. Human nature is to try the easiest and most accessable way first. Then the long way, becomes the best way. The basic principle of this Die Set is, While the lower shoe is compressing sleeve, the upper shoe is directing/guiding the reconstruction and flow of alloys'. Again, My intentions here are only to present our developement to the best of my ability. And finally, Allthough we find this Die set very user friendly, It will require basic hand tool (micrometer,telescoping gage and eye loope ) knoladge/skills. And will require developing a skill for. Introductory pictures with cost available apon email request. My thanks to this very infomative web site! Regards, Ray A
Old 12-06-2002, 12:22 AM   #9
Tech Regular

i have seen the product and its results and they are outstanding

the machine work on the tools is incredabuil
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 05:00 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Default Webpage now viewing ready

http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~jfroth/pinch/
Old 01-19-2003, 10:53 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Default WHAT HAPPENED TO MY THREAD?

I HAVE BEEN WORKING MY TAIL OFF...On RC developement #3. Was getting some great emails from my pals out West...Now nothing? Pre1960 has been tearing up ebay . What we need from you guys is an unbiased opinion of our pricing? Got a hop up Idea ? BIKEWEEK 2003 is less than 2 months away...Vacation! Till then...Work me fellas...Work me!