R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)
Default triple chambered pipes ?

hey guys
a mate of mine was saying that we may have to use triple chambered pipes in the near future ?

what hav eyou guys heard baout this ?

thanks
mrgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to fritzD

Cool! it'd make our cars run like hell!! hehehe... would it be legal in races?
fritzD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:23 PM   #3
Tech Elite

well im not sure if it will just be here in australia to keep the lovely nitro sound down or an international rule ?

i was hoping someone here would be able to give som more info

they di dit in europe with the dual chamber pipe
Old 12-26-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Scott Fisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgsr
well im not sure if it will just be here in australia to keep the lovely nitro sound down or an international rule ?

i was hoping someone here would be able to give som more info

they di dit in europe with the dual chamber pipe
The published IFMAR rules as of yet only require the INS box. I didn't find a requirement to use the 3 chamber pipe, but I do believe that at some point IFMAR will only approve the 3 chamber pipes in order to keep the noise down.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:26 PM   #5
Tech Elite

whats INS box ?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:27 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgsr
whats INS box ?
A black plastic cover that goes over the carburetor. It has two air inlet holes. The air filter goes inside it. It cuts down on the engine noise.
Old 12-26-2005, 06:28 PM   #7
Tech Elite

yeh ive seen them
how do they compare to open air filters ?
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 PM   #8
Tech Elite

You use the same air filter as before. It goes inside the INS box. In terms of power, most people can't tell a difference. I have had some say it takes away about 1-2% of the horsepower. It isn't required in the USA, but most of the top drivers use them anyway. All the engines being made now are made in europe where they require the box.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:51 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Theres a section in the latest Racing Lines magazine on the 3 chamber pipes and how they`ll probably be a requirement in the future.....maybe this is where your friend got his info about them?
Cheers
AndyT  is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:35 PM   #10

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

With the ever growing world and the same amount of land we are getting more and more crowded by the day. I welcome the fact that we are trying to cut down noise on things in the world. But to start with nitro racing is kinda rediculous.

I would rather see , cars , airplanes and air handling / heater units much more quiet. I walk outside my house only to hear buzzing units surrounding me and the highway beyond that making a constant buzz till late at night.

Inside my house , my computer buzzes , fridge and even video game systems now and even my LCD TV has a fan that buzzes.

It can certainly drive you crazy. Sometimes when you catch it right and everything is off you find a nice peacful quiet sound. But really there are many more things that make sound, and a lot more continously not sure why they want to start here and with racing. Which is what you go for.

I could only imagine going to an F1 race to hear very quiet and muffled sounds of puffing and chugging , rather than insane banshee cries from the motor.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:05 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At the moment the move to 3 chamber and INS boxes is only affecting the 21 on road class. I feel it will be a while before we see it affect the 12 classes. currently no one even makes an INS that will fit a 12. the 21 INS boxes are to large to fit on a 12 they crash the head.
Old 12-28-2005, 01:31 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice

arnt they also making it on .30's?
Modified_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 03:29 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

I heard earlier this year about 4 months ago that 3 chamber pipe was require for 1/8 scale buggy only and for 1/8 scale on road it would be require in the near future for the USA.As for Europe its already require and INS box also. I thought the INS box was require this year in the USA for some big races for 1/8 scale on road and will be require for the new season. As for club racing I don't know if they require the INS box to be use. Also I seen that .21 exhuast companies for on road are making 3 chamber pipes now and not many making any new 2 chamber pipes. All I know they been targeting 1/8 scale class only to quiet the cars down a little.
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
Tech Apprentice

Talking INS + 3 chamber

We run 3 chamber pipes + INS Box more than 2 years and the primary reason is noise. The top speed hurts a little but there is benefit to it. The idle is more stable and the bottom end is much better compared to 2 chamber pipes. A give and take situation, once you ger used to it, there is no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminati
I heard earlier this year about 4 months ago that 3 chamber pipe was require for 1/8 scale buggy only and for 1/8 scale on road it would be require in the near future for the USA.As for Europe its already require and INS box also. I thought the INS box was require this year in the USA for some big races for 1/8 scale on road and will be require for the new season. As for club racing I don't know if they require the INS box to be use. Also I seen that .21 exhuast companies for on road are making 3 chamber pipes now and not many making any new 2 chamber pipes. All I know they been targeting 1/8 scale class only to quiet the cars down a little.
slide_228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 08:47 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

Right now I have no problem running a INS Box or 3 chamber pipe or even running both. The last two months I been running with an INS Box in my MRX4 with no problem. I couldn't even feel the difference between INS Box and the normal air filter while I was driving. Just recently I purchase a JP Racing EFRA 2031 strengthened pipe which is a 3 chamber because the pipe that I have now is all beat up and its about 3 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide_228
We run 3 chamber pipes + INS Box more than 2 years and the primary reason is noise. The top speed hurts a little but there is benefit to it. The idle is more stable and the bottom end is much better compared to 2 chamber pipes. A give and take situation, once you ger used to it, there is no problem.
Aluminati is offline   Reply With Quote