Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
How To: Clean your TX with household products. >

How To: Clean your TX with household products.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How To: Clean your TX with household products.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Arrow How To: Clean your TX with household products.

You may not believe it but your TX (Transmitter) can get pretty nasty overtime.

Its always being held by a sweaty palm. Getting blasted with nitro fumes and gas. Catching dirt and clay from off-road tracks. As well its getting oxidized from always being used out in the sun.

Allthough it may not appear or feel dirty to you at the moment , once you clean it youll see the remarkable difference.

Materials Needed:

1. General Purpose Adjustable Spray Bottle. You can find these at the grocery store , hardware store and the like. They also come in very handy for a number of things related to RC. I picked up mine for around $1.00, Id suggest getting a couple.

2. Woolite. Yes Woolite , this stuff is a mild detergent and is very easy on everything as well wont cause any reactions to yourself.

3. Distilled Water. You can use any water , but the best is bottled or distilled. This will help reduce water spotting.

THE MIXTURE: You then mix up anything over 30/1 water to woolite ratio. I basically fill the bottle up , and drop in half a teaspoon or so. Then test your solution on something and rub around , it shouldnt get overly soapy.

APPLICATION: Then once your solution is ready. Set the spray bottle to a fine fine mist. Mist up a microfiber towel or any soft cloth. A paper towel will also work. Dont soak it , just give it a few squirts. Then I generally shoot one nice mist on the TX....dont worry the water will lay thousands of tiny droplets that wont move anywhere. Be sure to not soak the TX or the water will start moving.

Then proceed to do the obvious and wipe down the TX. I generally rub it and kinda twist at the handle. This helps get that grime and oil off the TX. Then take a look at all the brownish grim and dirt you just removed.

Now grip your TX and enjoy that brand new feel again. You will also notice it will become much shinier and new looking. The LCD's will be grease free and easier to read.

I race monthly and perform this in between races. Even with just little use per month it always seems to get nasty. It may not win you races..but this removes the oxidation which will help preserve your TX as well keeps the blacks dark and new looking.

--

Hope you guys enjoy the little tip.
You can find more information like this at: Pro-Hobby.

Last edited by Artificial-I; 12-14-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Champion

After a good bath...... Why not seal the receiver in the first place ?

Use a twin servo wire extender to Rx's batt ( KO Propo made them for twin servos ) so you can plug battery and personal transponder.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

He is talking about the transmitter not the reciever.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Yeah I already made a post on how to clean your car here:

http://rctech.net/forum/showpost.php...03&postcount=7

I have sprayed this stuff directly into my RX with no problems. I even blast my electrics with it. Denatured alcohol is the godsend of cleaning RC cars. That and an engine cleaner hose hooked up to an air compressor.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Artifitial, you got PM !!!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Tabushi: Cool. Sent you back another pm today.

--

Has anyone tried cleaning their TX yet? If so let me know how it went.

If anyone has any questions about the process. Feel free to ask.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Adept

I read your posting about cleaning the car with Simple Green and alcohol.
We don't have Simple Green here...would something like Ajax work?

I'm still not very comfortable with spraying the solution over the electronics...killed a synth Rx and a digi servo last month.
Their death was caused by water, but maybe a alcohol/detergent mixture would do no harm???
Old 12-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

AJAX sounds too strong. But it sounds like your talking about the car cleaning thread. This is the one for just cleaning off your TX.

Basically woolite is laundry detergent. So any light / gentle laundry detergent , aka laundry soap would work as well.

For the other thread , simple green is a degreaser. Im sure any non-toxic degreaser will work.

But for the most part. I found just pure denatured works best when your worried about electronics. When you have off-road vehicle or nitro vehicle that likes to get very oily , the simple green works well.

But most cases the pure denatured alcohol will work just as good and wont harm electronics.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I tried it, it worked great
Old 12-27-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by hav_lova
I tried it, it worked great
Great glad to see someone else liked it. You can also use it on anything plastic that you want to get cleaned.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just spray mine with lightly 409 scrub the cracks real quick with a tooth brush and blow it off with an air nozzle. works great. The rubber handles I work harder with 409 and a rag. you just have to be carefull not to drown it with spray, just mist the surface.