R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-27-2003, 03:15 PM   #166
Tech Master

Believe me, I do know my way around an engine really . In fact my dad was modifying engines while you were still at school.

Just like the needles dont affect one another, right
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:40 PM   #167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
Believe me, I do know my way around an engine really . In fact my dad was modifying engines while you were still at school.

Just like the needles dont affect one another, right
It very interesting thing you brought up, about your dad, it was him who modified engines, not you. By the way, I start modify engines at age 14, while I was in school, (probably in the same time when your dad start). I was MAKING engines for 17 years, from 1976 to 1993. In 1993 I moved to USA and didn't have chance to do it for the last 10 years, till now.Now I am may be back!
About the carb-check boat modeling-there are always three servos-One steering, one for low speed and one for hgh rpm. Every time when you run boat model yuo must to tune your top needle. It is nature of the boat modeling, no exeptions. I never did or heard somebody after tunning top, was tunning idle too! Basecaly we set idle on the work bench, i did it in the past, I do it now too and I don't have problem to tune my son's engine. Also i don't do it by counting how many revolutions from close-i don't care, i do it by sound only.
Read carefully some articles in the net, you will find something new for yourself! You will discovered a lot of stuff, which is basecaly old as world, but it will be good discovery for you!
EdwardN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 03:50 PM   #168
Tech Master

I already know about tuning engines and the rest. I use the same method as yourself. I believe the only way to tune an engine properly is by sound and how it reacts to the throttle movement. Temp guns in my opinion are a waste of time.

I know what you are saying about the boats. I have several boats including a homemade sub that can submerge. I also fly model aircraft.

The best source of information available on the net has to be rcboat.com.

Which engines did you work on in Russia. MVV's, MDS???? I personally dont like either engines. They just dont make them the same as they used to. I got an MDS 46 a couple of years ago and returned it straightaway. The case was not properly machined and it looked like it was trailed through production. Not like the older MDS engines that had a great reputation in pylon racing.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2003, 05:09 PM   #169
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
I already know about tuning engines and the rest. I use the same method as yourself. I believe the only way to tune an engine properly is by sound and how it reacts to the throttle movement. Temp guns in my opinion are a waste of time.

I know what you are saying about the boats. I have several boats including a homemade sub that can submerge. I also fly model aircraft.

The best source of information available on the net has to be rcboat.com.

Which engines did you work on in Russia. MVV's, MDS???? I personally dont like either engines. They just dont make them the same as they used to. I got an MDS 46 a couple of years ago and returned it straightaway. The case was not properly machined and it looked like it was trailed through production. Not like the older MDS engines that had a great reputation in pylon racing.
I agree with you about temp gun, you can't tune engine by temperature-not only waste, also it is lost of performance.
I was working with engine size 2.5 cc and 10 cc. They were for theder boats (control line). The most of the time we used our engines, there was no name, we made them for ourself, so no need names, but lattely I got OPS .60, 5 ports, but on the beginning it was nightmare-it didn't pull any power, just the stock. But it wasn't anough, so, I changed first piston, with lower temperature expantion,it became better, but still wasn't good anough to put on the model. After that changed timing on intake and exhost and redid sleeve geometry it was to tight on the middle for the piston material which I made for it-became much better. You know, that engine was very good-it has a lot Crome on it, so I had opportunity to changed geometry couple times, till finaly I found the right one for me. I can tell you for that moment it was just easier to make one complete engine, but it was very interesting to find why it didn't wanna work! It was fun. Finaly I got on it my best result 204 km per hour (half submerged impeller)
Old 05-28-2003, 03:33 AM   #170
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Top Gun 777
No one wants to talk and share some info? Come on guys!!!
Most people dont want to waste their time and knowledge talking to arogent idiots who gob off about how much they have done in the past.

There are a few people on this forum that have quite a bit of valuable knowledge to share. But untill you can ask questions nicely you wont get diddley out of them.
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 12:08 PM   #171
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Most people dont want to waste their time and knowledge talking to arogent idiots who gob off about how much they have done in the past.

There are a few people on this forum that have quite a bit of valuable knowledge to share. But untill you can ask questions nicely you wont get diddley out of them.
I feel realy sorry for you. Most of the intelegence people don't insult opponents-they preferd to discuse issue! Usualy only short minded and totaly unknlodged mechanics acting that way! You, most likely, don't know principals and designs of engines, so it is mutch easier for you to don't discuse, but insult! But it is ok! Who cares! Whatever you have in your model today had develpoed in the past, you just use it. If you smart enough, you will learn from this kind of discasions. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2003, 03:13 PM   #172
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

Can you say that again in english please?
sparksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:04 PM   #173
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
Can you say that again in english please?
You did understand me very well! So don't ask me agan! I got what I wanted to! I don't need any info from you or anybody like you, because what you are learning now, I have forgoten like 15 years ago! Basecaly, I don't need any info from anybody, I just wanted to talk to some smart guys regarding the engines, because it is very close to me. I am not not gona race no cars, no boats, no aircraft models, I am doing it for my soul. May be I can help someone, who got no help from you or somebody like you. So be happy! Guys like you isn't typical, most of the racers are very good people, they are talking normaly with everybody, they are helping each other without questions-It was like that back in Russia, it is like that here in US.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:13 PM   #174
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to patelladragger

you guys should take it ez and chill it out as this thread has really degenerated from it's original intent. T

Top Gun the reason no one is replying is because there was a pretty bad incident of a modifier accusing others of stealing his work and a subsequent discussion about copyrighting designs on rc engines.

All the parties involved were respected tuners, and I don't think anyone wants to see the same sort of thing happen again. So basically no one is going to talk specifics (they never really did).

If you are in it to make money you don't give out your product details in a public forum - not good business. I haven't seen any forum where the details you're looking for are discussed - you'd be better off talking individually with one of the hot hands.
patelladragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2003, 06:52 PM   #175
Tech Initiate

Right on Patella! This Thread was started by a nice guy who races locally in Southern California and all he wants to know is where are the engine tuners. There are plenty of people out there who are doing this work. These typs of threads always end up the same way. Bolisario give me a call and I will hook yo up with Pat. His stuff is good, and he is local. I'll send you a pm with my number..... So the question remains.......where are all of the guys willing to modify for people?
thebutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:27 AM   #176
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by patelladragger
you guys should take it ez and chill it out as this thread has really degenerated from it's original intent. T

Top Gun the reason no one is replying is because there was a pretty bad incident of a modifier accusing others of stealing his work and a subsequent discussion about copyrighting designs on rc engines.

All the parties involved were respected tuners, and I don't think anyone wants to see the same sort of thing happen again. So basically no one is going to talk specifics (they never really did).

If you are in it to make money you don't give out your product details in a public forum - not good business. I haven't seen any forum where the details you're looking for are discussed - you'd be better off talking individually with one of the hot hands.
I didn't know there were incidents which you described (stilling secrets or so) I was off for 10 years and came from russia. I am not planning at all to get in racing, just my son plays with HPI RS4 nitro 3. But I have big expirience and theoretical knowlodge of engines and am ready to share it with anybody who wants it at no cost. I do it for my soul, as I sad it before. I can help to modify engines or give some advice from what I know (may be, I even can try to modify engine for somebody without cost). It is not my foult, if somebody got me wrong. I never asked any specific info or so! I can talk personaly with anybody, help if I can! At local truck in Los Angeles, I am helping anybody who needs! I feel realy bad, because some guys here got pissed off, I have no idea what was the reason for it!
It is OK, if nobody needs my help, it is fine with me! Any way, thank you very much to explane to me situation! Thank you for giving to me opportunity to understand you guys! Probably it is last time when I showed up here!
Good luck!
Old 05-29-2003, 10:42 AM   #177
Tech Adept

to engin modifier good or not ,,how much????////
Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2003, 10:45 AM   #178
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Cartman

your welcome here by me m8 any good engine info is good info!!
Old 05-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #179
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to ice-wolf Send a message via Yahoo to ice-wolf

Quote:
Originally posted by Disney
to engin modifier good or not ,,how much????////

if is it good yes if you want more power,and not if you only just ganna basher around you don't need it just my 2cent

this guy name Matt he does really a good job doing mob on any engine. how much? depend what kind of engine ask him.

[email protected]

Good Luck
ice-wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 10:55 AM   #180
Tech Apprentice

Default rody 5 port by smeltz

i just got my engine back and by the looks of it,Matt did a very profesional job,i'll recommended to anybody outthere

thanks Matt keep up the good job
rcdubs is offline   Reply With Quote