R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-11-2002, 09:47 AM   #1
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default HPI Super Nitro with SG crank engine

I've a problem.........I have a T5 engine with SG crank.......how can I get that engine fit onto the HPI Super Nitro...?

I am running the HPI 2-speed...........

Any help would be applicated........
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:43 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Default SG shaft engine

1) Don't cut the shaft. There won't be enough threads left for the stock clutch nut.

2) If the bearings will fit on the shaft. Then maybe some spacers or shims on the end will take up the end play.

3) You can always buy an expensive Centrax Clutch to fit>

4) Buy a "Standard" threaded crankshaft for the engine and swap them out. (not cheap either)

Maybe someone else will see your post that has solved this problem before.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:38 AM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have a super nitro that I have a sg shaft OS RX-15 with HPI two speed. I used Mugen MTX-2 engine mounts with mounting screws. You will have to mill out the screw mounting holes to use the bigger screws. I used the Mugen three shoe flywheel, shimmed a bit. The HPI clutchbell fits perfect over the three shoe setup. My car is plenty fast and managable to drive, especially with the new sticky tires HPI now has for the super.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:27 AM   #4
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

I know my Kyosho SuperTen 1-speed clutchbell was identical to HPI clutchbells. Kyosho may have a 2 speed clutchbell and the proper hardware to mount and align the clutchbell onto an SG shaft. Either that or Ofna has a centax for HPI cars. Might be worth it to have for use with a T5.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 03:59 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Ofna makes adjustable engine mounts that'll allow a big block 15 to fit the HPI Super Nitro.
Also look for Ofna's parts and shims bag. It has an extra metal extension that allows a 2 speed to be installed on the big block sg crank in the super chassis.

Note these allow you to do the install with no mods to the chassis.
Sydewynder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 10:21 AM   #6
Tech Champion

Well........I think I am unlike everyone else, I am using the RS-12 T5 turbo engine, still a small block .12 engine, and that is the problem.

anything like .15 and .21 are not the problem at all, wolfpack got plenty of goodies to install those engine........but not .12 SG crank
Old 11-14-2002, 08:35 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default I KNOW it can be done

I've seen Supers with a Centrax clutch and .12 before so I know it can be done. Have you tried calling HPI's tech line for help.
If you want to use the HPI 2spd with the SG Shaft engine, then again, try calling HPI. (since the board is down)
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 08:59 PM   #8
Tech Champion

You know what, the more I hear from you guys about the Serpent CETAX clutch work on the Super Nitro, the more I HATE myself......

because I just sold my PRO with centax several weeks ago.....

AHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 11-21-2002, 06:49 AM   #9
Tech Adept

I have just purchased an collari-innotech xs12 rear ex turbo 5 ports sg slide for my hpi super nitro
I wonder if you can tell me, as I 'am not sure,
would the none pull start fly wheel from hpi fit this because the one I have at the moment does not fit (flywheel). As this is the first time I have used a none pull start engine I 'am not that sure how to fit it all onto the crank. Can you please help me as I don't want to go wrong

thanks

rob email add. [email protected]
carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 08:11 AM   #10
Tech Champion

Talking SG crank problem solved.......

OK......with the strong support from Mr. Wolfgang (owner of Wolfpack Radical).....the small block .12 SG crank engine conversion is a complete success, and here are some instruction (save this file Robert Carlin)

This picture showing the SG crank engine problem, engine sitting too far apart from the 2-speed spur gears and the SG crank is not long enough for the bell to reach the spur gears. I used 10 OFNA washer, Assoicate Pull-start flywheel, Serpent clutch nut and shoes, and HPI gear bell. 2nd picture......I pushed the engine toward the spur gears direction......it reach the spurs, but the engine mount doesn't align with the HPI chassis engine holes underneath, adjustable engine mount required.

With Mr. Wolfgang's support, these are the parts that I need to do the conversion. Vented flywheel with special cullet, adjustable engine mounts (6 position with free sliding adjustment base)......the 2-speed gearbox clutch is something he strongly recommand me to change over the HPI single blade design.

Wolfpack radical package installed........along with the OFNA crank extension kits ($7.00), I installed 2 OFNA washers before I mounted the collet to gain some extra length of the crank. From this picture, you can see I aligned the engine mounting holes with the HPI OEM opening underneath, and still, the gears are still SHORT from reaching the spur gears....next, adjustable engine mount.

Adjustable engine mount installed.......now, I can slide the engine by 4mm and still have a complete lock tight situatin of the engine....and the most important part is - I have the distance in able to reach the spurs with the gear bell......operation completed.

The Wolfpack Radical 2 shoes 2-speed clutch installed (they are Associated parts) but somehow Wolfgang can get that work on HPI.......go figure.

If you have question, please let me know........because I am an expert on HPI now (yes......Wolfgang asked me several times why I downgrade myself from Serpent to HPI........? I think this is the fun part about downgrading - CHALLENGE)
Old 11-21-2002, 09:57 AM   #11
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

How much was all that stuff? And why was it necessary to use the Serpent 2nd gear hub?
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2002, 10:09 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Default Re: SG crank problem solved.......

THANKS ALOT I WILL TRY MY BEST TWO QUESTIONS
1. HOW CAN I GET ANY OF THE STUFF AS IM IN THE UK?
2.ALSO HOW CAN I DOWNLOAD THE DETAILS OFF HERE SO I CAN LOOK AT IT ETC.
Old 11-21-2002, 10:20 AM   #13
Tech Adept

Default YOUR HPI

ALSO YOUR HPI IS A RS4 2 AINT IT??
MINE IS A HPI SUPER RALLY WILL IT MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE
Old 11-26-2002, 09:12 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Carlin:

Mine is a SUPER NITRO RS4.....not regular TC RS4....I don't recall the different between the 2 (compare to your SNRS4 Rally).....

Well.........please check to make sure your Rally is the same as my SNRS4 first, otherwise, sell the engine and get the Standard crank one.......
Old 11-26-2002, 09:16 AM   #15
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
How much was all that stuff? And why was it necessary to use the Serpent 2nd gear hub?
I would say around $100 US.

The 2nd gear hub from the 2-speed spur gears is from Assoicated, not Serpent......the only Serpent parts I use are the clutch/flywheel nut and the 2 black clutch shoes on the engine.

The Assoicated mod is not necessary, but it performs better then the OEM HPI single blade design.