R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-10-2002, 01:06 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Default help! hb tornado or hpi rs4?

im new to the hobby. im looking towards a 1/10 scale nitro car. probably either a hpi rs4 or the hb tornado. i dont know how good the tornado is though. is there a lot of parts for it? does anyone know anything about it? can you guys help with a decision? is there any other models worth consideration? thanks
stupid newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 03:04 AM   #2
Tech Master

Why exactly are you leaning towards these two? Are they popular in your area? It would be helpful to tell us why you are looking specifcally at these cars.

Also is that the original belted RS4 or the new RS4 -3. and could you tell us if you plan to race, to go fast around a parking lot; want the car in kit form or in RTR form? Before you tell us this I prefer to not say much b/c as we've been going over in the 'pro kit' thread, there is a lot to think about when choosing an RC car.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:51 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

im looking towards these 2 cars because a hobby shop recommended these 2 for someone new to the hobby. they said either the tornado or the hpi rs4-3 rtr or the type ss. i dont mind building the car myself, i just want something with more bang for my buck. i dont think im going to go racing with it, more likely just go fast in the parking lot and just messing around. the hobby shop recommended these 2, but i dont know if there are better ones out there. i heard yokomo is good too, but im not too sure. im just trying to be open minded about any of these cars because its a lot of money and i want a good reliable one to start off with.
Old 11-10-2002, 11:57 AM   #4
Tech Master

i've never really heard of a car that a new to rc guy didn't like. As long as they could figure out how to work it correctly. Are there any other choices in your hobby shop, b/c right now I'd have to say that the RS4-3 looks like the best choice right now. HPI makes the best kits for new guys. But don't really know anything about the HB car. It depends on your choices.
Old 11-10-2002, 09:11 PM   #5
Tech Initiate

HB tornado, Can't say anything about it I do not know it. The RS4 is a good starter because it is strong and doesn't break easy.

Ask your LHS about parts such as arms and hubs and see if they have them, So you can get replacements if you do break them.

Get ready for some real speed...
Dear HPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 09:20 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Default Which car

Hey guys, I think MOST of us will agree that the HPI nitro 2 or 3 are great beginner cars for bashing OR racing.
Get the Type SS if you can afford it. (Better motor, 2 spd, turn buckles, MUCH faster than RTR)
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:21 AM   #7
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the replies people. i think i might go for the hpi nitro rs4 3 type ss. hotbodies tornado doesnt have too much info on it and thats why im not sure about it. well, i have some more newbie questions. sorry. hpi is kinda dependable for a new guy, but can you guys tell me about the team associated tc3, the ofna ob-4, the traxxas 4tec pro, the tamiya tg10r, and the yokomo gt-4. which of those are good and what makes them better than the other? thanks guys.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:33 AM   #8
Tech Master

of the other cars you listed the best would be the GTR4 and the nitro TC3 and the OFNA nitro ob4 pro.

I don't suggest the tc3 due to some durability problems. A definite problem if your going to be learning to drive. The Yok is fast if you're reffering to the RTR. The kit is a pro level one and not the best for you yet. The OB4 is an older pro kit, but it is still good, but some slight durability problems (isolated ones). Again, not the best for you yet.

The durability of the RS4-3's drive train is not the best, but as long as you're careful on which engine you pick to replace the stock fe, you'll be fine. But by that time you might want to race, and a pro kit will be on your wish list.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:16 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

if you had the choice between the yokomo gt-4, hpi type ss, the ofna ob-4, or the team associated tc3, which would you choose? i dont mind it being a kit because i want to learn how to build r/c cars too. everyone says hpi is good, but im thinking it might be mainstream and thats why everyone thinks its good, but im thinking there are better ones out there for the same amount. what do you think?
Old 11-12-2002, 12:18 AM   #10
Tech Master

well, if I were in your shoes, it'd be a toss up between the TC3 adn the Yokomo.
Old 11-12-2002, 01:45 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Yokomo GT4
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:36 AM   #12
Tech Initiate

Stupid newbie, Remember about parts supply too... Can you get parts. If you are new or have driven R/C before, These cars are almost double faster than anything you have driven. Even an experienced racer will break parts, Especially driving on the street.

This is why no TC3. They are fast but break easy. The Yok is a sturdy car and seems to break less often. However I would not recommend this car to a newbie because the Yok is a racecar not a play car. By the way the Yok is a better car than the HPI.

One question do you have friends running gas cars that you are going to run with? I would go with what they are running just so you have someone to bounce questions off of...and learn from.
Dear HPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:07 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice

well, i live in southern cali and there are a lot of LHS's near me. in fact, i have 4 within 10 miles of my house, so im sure they have parts. with all you guys' help, im leaning towards yokomo gt4. you guys said that the tc3 is not as durable as the yok. yes, i do have a friend to race around with, but he's as new to the hobby as myself, but he got an hpi. you guys said yokomo and hpi are both durable and i kinda dont want to have the same car as my friend, thats why im leaning towards the yokomo. but 1 more question...i heard kyosho is pretty good too...the v-one r/s. how is that car? is it durable? as good at the yokomo or better? because im leaning towards the yok right now, but if the kyosho is better, then maybe i'll get that one. thanks guys
Old 11-12-2002, 03:21 PM   #14
Tech Master

If you wanted a kit as your first rc car, then the kyosho VoneS would be something to look into. Its just as good as the Yokomo RTR, but you have to get the radio and servos seperately. The RTR comes with those.

As for which is better, these two are very good, but it depends solely (in my eyes) as to whether you want a kit or an RTR.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:30 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Go for the Yokomo ...box stock.... its already "race ready"...can compete with the Impulse, V1Rs, NTC3,MTX2, and expecially HPIs.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote