R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-12-2002, 09:24 PM   #46
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Im2lazy
I find that a strange move on yokomo's part, I guess its a money thing. 'Buy more of our parts', but it does make it easier for new guys to keep from spinning out and it makes the drive train lighter for better acceleration and top speed.
Front solid axle will make for "easier" driving. More forgiving for a newbie especially if it is touted for the RTR market.

The only thing the newbies are looking and ask when they get to buying a car is the "how fast can this car go" question.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #47
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by TambokGT
I didn't really experience more acceleration and top speed using the front solid diff though.
Gear diffs front and rear is a neutral way to go. But if set wrongly, then a newbie will still be able to NOT drive it.

Front solid axle is suppose to give you an advantage when coming out of corners. You get lots of on power steering. The same thing like what get when using a one way front diff.
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:05 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to TambokGT

Quote:
Originally posted by fastharry
this car was made byu Kyosho in 1989..no way I'm using it

it goes strait to my collection...heres another one of my "collectible kyoshos"
i remember those go karts...it came out in the early 90's.
The head and steering wheel moves in unison when you steer it in any direction....very realistic.

Last edited by TambokGT; 11-13-2002 at 12:10 AM.
TambokGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:18 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
Front solid axle is suppose to give you an advantage when coming out of corners. You get lots of on power steering. The same thing like what get when using a one way front diff.
My time was slower than using the reg diffs( in a technical parking lot track) . I would prefer using thicker grease or putty than using the solid front diff anytime.
I got good results though with the one way / rear solid diff (with overdrive)...in a high speed track.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:56 AM   #50
Tech Master

Quote:
Front solid axle will make for "easier" driving. More forgiving for a newbie especially if it is touted for the RTR market.

The only thing the newbies are looking and ask when they get to buying a car is the "how fast can this car go" question.
I just thought it would be smarter if they included a diff as well. A great plus for new guys looking to race and I would think a great marketing move. It would cost more, but would cost like $10 more.

Quote:
It actually takes a special track for a solid axle to be faster than a one way or a regular differential as Tambok was saying. It is not the best for most tracks, you need wide lanes and hard cutbacks pretty much. But it is race proven for even electrics... ROAR nats had 8 solid diffs and 2 oneways in the finals for TC's.

I think it would be better to include b/c of the added brownie points they would get from including a front differential, kind of like the NTC3 including a pipe and manifold and some basic setup tools in its kit.

just my opinion...
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 10:31 AM   #51
Tech Initiate

Hey Stupid Newbie,

Since you don't want to be a copycat, Go for the Yok or the GTR4 They are great cars to drive and is pretty easy to assemble. The TC3 is great for a pro but from the guys at the track I race with, they get tired of replacing parts. It is just a fragile car. and they are selling them to get the GTR4 or the Yok and or the MuganV1R

The only thing I can say about the RTR stuff is that they have weak servos. They are slow. This is done to keep the price down. If you upgrade anything at first this is where I would start. It will help with the handling and response that you input.

Parts are not a problem, You must live in the Clairmont Mesa area
I used to live in SD.

Have fun
Dear HPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 12:32 PM   #52
Tech Apprentice

thanks dear hpi. yah im thinking of the yoke gt4 or the kyosho v-one r/rr, but the kyosho is pushing my budget. you know...college students. lol. anyways, since you said the rtr's have weak servos, do you think i should spend the extra cash to get a kit instead? does it make that much of a difference to a beginner? this is what i want for my first r/c car...a reliable, durable, good handling, fast car. doesnt necessarily need to be fast, i dont want just all speed, i want a good all-around car for the best price. is the yoke gt4 the best all-around for its price?
stupid newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:09 PM   #53
Tech Elite

Here's my suggestion:
Get the RTR first....practice...practice......practice.......t hen decide if you want to race...........then if you break anything like maybe a servo you can upgrade to better parts.

http://66.70.235.59/Merchant2/mercha...ry_Code=tc3_ck
Old 11-13-2002, 03:00 PM   #54
Tech Initiate

Stupid Newbie,

The rtr is for a starter. I don't know what radio system comes with the Yok, But most are just plain radio equiptment.

If you decide to go for the kit and then buy parts, it is going to cost you more. But you will have a better set-up in the end.

Motor (if needed costs $120)
Transmitter and reciever ($100 for a decent one JR-XR2)
two servos (plan for $75 a piece) Fast transit time .12/sec and torque of 50in.lbs. or more.

So you can see it starts to add up quickly. So being you are on a budget the rtr is a good way to start. Then add on as you want to. This way you have a running car to start with.

I have an RS4 with $600+ into it before I knew it, and that is without all the pretty aluminum parts.

Before you buy I would suggest buying an RC mag because it will have alot of add's for price comparsion. So you know what you can get into. And maybe save a few bucks too buying online.

Hope this helps ya
Dear HPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:14 PM   #55
Tech Master

For an RTR, you don't really need new servos. But once you begin to race, a better servo is a good idea. I've raced w/ standard servos in emergencies and it doesn't make too much of a difference, but it is noticable and depending on your driving style it can be detrimental. For non-racing purposes, standards are fine before they die.

Futaba makes excellent servos. On some JR servos, the warranty can be up to 3 years, an excellent plan b/c servos die more frequently then preferable. I have like 6 Hitec servos and while Hitec has great service (even setup shop in the forum here as well), but I sent 3 in at one time b/c they died in random succession (a year after purchasing all 3), so try send these in often if you choose to get them.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote