Old 11-06-2002, 02:14 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up Yokomo GT-4 RTR .vs. NTC3 RTR

Just wondering......

Which one do you guys prefer and why?
OneWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 02:34 AM   #2
Tech Regular

I like the Yok. My freind has one, and its just a really solid car. Handles beautifully and is very fast. Comes with a two speed and its easy to hop up too. Yok just released a 2 speed shoe type clutch upgrade and a Centax upgrade. So when it comes time to make the upgrade its there. I think the NTC3 is a nice car too, but I've heard the Yok is more durable and too many people have the NTC3.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:05 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

im new to the hobby and those are the 2 im looking towards buying. im leaning towards the gt4 cuz everyone's saying that the ntc3 is less durable than the gt4 and you have to replace parts all the time, but im not too sure. anyone else have opinions on the 2 cars?
stupid newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 12:59 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I've had both.

I got rid of my GT-4.

I broke just as many parts on my GT-4 as I did on my NTC-3, in fact I broke more rear arms and knuckles on the GT-4. I also found that parts prices and availability was worse, in Southern Cal, for the Yok than for the Assoc.

Another reason is that I like the sealed receiver - I was ALWAYS worried about getting fuel on the receiver and hated using balloons. That's not a problem on the NTC-3.

You have to bundle the wires on the Yok - you don't have to on the NTC-3, they all can go in the receiver box. Trivial point, I agree, but it's amazing how much trivial things will become big friggin pains in the arse!

There are problems with the NTC-3 - I put in some braces to strengthen the shock towers (see the thread) and replaced all the ties with Titanium and caps with RPM's. . .it should come with those. . .

But overall I REALLY like my NTC-3 FAAAR better than my GT-4.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:48 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Its just a matter of personal taste, Either car is great. The one thing that i will point out though that is of much greater importance than a receiver cover is that the Yok RTR comes with a 2 speed while the NTC3 RTR comes only with a single speed. That's something to really consider when purchasing between the two, in my opinion.
calimassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 03:11 PM   #6
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer
I also found that parts prices and availability was worse, in Southern Cal, for the Yok than for the Assoc.
You live in Claremont and think parts availability is bad? Now I agree that just about every lhs will carry Associated parts but I live in your general area and there is Pegasus, SpeedTech, Elite, Hobby People in Chino Hills, HobbyTown USA in Chino, VIP Hobbies and Covina Hobbies. Of all those places, only Covina Hobby and HobbyTown USA don't carry Yokomo parts.

Anyway, I don't have either RTR but I do have both as kits. I'd take the Yok. The NTC3 RTR only has a single speed tranny and box stock the Yok is a more durable car. The NTC3 is a great handling car but the rear toe links can and will get compressed when you bang into something. And also, nothing on the Yok is as fragile as the upper diff case holes where the shock towers mount on the NTC3. Unless you reinforce them, the shock towers will rip the screws right out of the upper diff cases.
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2002, 05:55 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

hey, i live in that area too of southern cali, san dimas. i've been to vip hobbies, covina hobby, elite, and pegasus. the guy i talked to at vip is kinda hpi-biased cuz he gots an hpi, elite was telling me both the ntc3 and the gt4 are both good, but he liked the gt4 better, and pegasus and covina didnt really care what i got as long as they got my money. im still leaning towards the gt4 cuz more people say its more durable than the ntc3 and it does have the 2speed. its $300 at covina hobby too!! they're getting some on tuesday. $275 for the ntc3 at vip. i havent checked the prices out at hobby town or hobby world or the other hobby shops, but i'll call to see . maybe i should just go to the local track in montclair to see what others are using and ask them. im still leaning towards the gt4, but i might change, you never know.
stupid newbie is offline   Reply With Quote