R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 11-10-2002, 09:20 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

yupaz thats the berings i'm currently using. i bought it from rotor singapore made by team magic ..i think.. very cheap if i'm not wrong 4 bearing and spacer under 15 bucks..
the down side is that the car is nolonger super smooth, just smooth... maybe if you clean out the bearings and remove the grease it will be better .. weight? confirm lighter... 1/2 the weight of each original bearing.. x 8 so its a huge saving.

i need some advise. i need to make the car turn in and out sharp. how to do it? i noticed serpent always understeer or else the rear end always swap out understeering. i tried a mtx 2 and it was a beauti to drive as i can point and turn as i wsh on a small track and the pick up is very good too even if the drive train is not smooth.

please advise.
fuse01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 11:52 PM   #17
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by fuse01
yupaz thats the berings i'm currently using. i bought it from rotor singapore made by team magic ..i think.. very cheap if i'm not wrong 4 bearing and spacer under 15 bucks..
the down side is that the car is nolonger super smooth, just smooth... maybe if you clean out the bearings and remove the grease it will be better .. weight? confirm lighter... 1/2 the weight of each original bearing.. x 8 so its a huge saving.

i need some advise. i need to make the car turn in and out sharp. how to do it? i noticed serpent always understeer or else the rear end always swap out understeering. i tried a mtx 2 and it was a beauti to drive as i can point and turn as i wsh on a small track and the pick up is very good too even if the drive train is not smooth.

please advise.
Thanks for the info on the bearings...

Do you know why the MTX-2 can zip out of the corner in and out fast? The MTX-2 inherently has lower gearing which makes the engine pull the car easy.

In order to improve acceleration, your shocks need to be set right. Just soft enough for traction but not softer that would make the car very lazy and unresponsive. What springs and shock oils are you using? You might want to reduce the shock oil to a lower weight and could try a softer front spring combo. Using a lower weight oil makes the car more responsive. Are you using any sway bars in front?

Note that if your shocks are too soft, it'll be counter productive and that your rear will break traction. Too much of everything is no good.

You can limit the front droop (go to a higher number on the gauge) to counter the weight transfer to the rear to get more on power steering. You can also try later on to increase the rear droop (lower numbers on the gauge) to allow the weight to transfer to the front to get more off power steering. Not so much that your rear will break traction.

Also, have you tried to play around with the caster settings? If you want lots of turn in, you can put the caster blocks in the rear of the arm. But then you'll suffer coming out of the corner.

Have you also check the front and rear gear diffs of the MTX-2? How are they compared to yours?

The only way to get lots of steering into and out of a corner would effectively be using a front one way diff... It'll turn in faster and throttle out of the corner faster also. To compensate for lack of 4WD brakes, you can stiffen the rear that would enable you to dial in your brakes more than you could with a loose rear and a one way front diff.

On sharp corners or apexes, you can increase the caster angle by putting all the caster blocks in front and brake as much as you can on a straight before the sharp corner and turn to throw and swing the rear end of the car around the corner. When your car points to the right direction, you can punch your way out of the corner. That can be an effective on a tight technical track.

But then again you would argue why the MTX-2 does not have to have one way for the front diffs to act the way you want it to...
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 02:31 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

anyone else wondering how much speed serpent thinks they are going to find by the bazillionth time they have re-designed the radio tray? Also i took my impulse out this weekend and the mother still glitches like mad. (only reason i took it out was because my ntc3 got ripped in half).
Distroey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 05:11 PM   #19
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by Distroey
anyone else wondering how much speed serpent thinks they are going to find by the bazillionth time they have re-designed the radio tray? Also i took my impulse out this weekend and the mother still glitches like mad. (only reason i took it out was because my ntc3 got ripped in half).
Distroey, it's been long... What's up What happened to the NTC3?

I think the carbon graphite radio tray is one of the weakest link on the Impulse. Yeah, you are right that Serpent had many changes on the top tray design.

What I noticed is that the receiver unit MUST be installed and secured VERY tightly to the graphite radio plate. Else, it'll glitch like mad. Also, make sure any wires to the from the receiver (i.e. battery wires) do NOT touch any metal parts.

I think it's the same problem on the NTC3 carbon graphite.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:04 PM   #20
Tech Apprentice

hit a 2x6 at 50+ mph , looked like a f1 wreck with the whole left front suspsension going one way and the car going another. Its possible i had the reciever mounted on the server to avoid any of the carbon glitching like that guess it wasn't enough.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:46 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have alot of glitch with the graphite receiver mounting plate and could not figure what caust the problem. I replace the receiver plate with a home make plastic receiver plate (not the whole top deck, just the small plate that mount the receiver) and the glitch went away completely.
Eddie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:01 PM   #22
Tech Apprentice

would be nice to see if serpent could make a composite plate instead of the graphite one for that area.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:31 PM   #23
Tech Rookie

InitialD, I just found out that the OFNA wheels are made of lexan. I guess I値l just stick with the Yokomo Precisions (ABS). Thanks.

BTW, has anybody tried the 14/17 clutch bell by Picco on a Serpent Centax? I heard they have the same dimensions. I just wanted to make sure before I spend $35 on the Picco. Thanks.
toolmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 06:22 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Send a message via ICQ to David

Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie M
I have alot of glitch with the graphite receiver mounting plate and could not figure what caust the problem. I replace the receiver plate with a home make plastic receiver plate (not the whole top deck, just the small plate that mount the receiver) and the glitch went away completely.
this is the same problem ive "put up with" for months with my serpent ive checked and re checked everything
ill try your idea this weekend thanks
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 10:16 PM   #25
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by toolmon
InitialD, I just found out that the OFNA wheels are made of lexan. I guess I値l just stick with the Yokomo Precisions (ABS). Thanks.

BTW, has anybody tried the 14/17 clutch bell by Picco on a Serpent Centax? I heard they have the same dimensions. I just wanted to make sure before I spend $35 on the Picco. Thanks.
I don't exactly know how to tell what the Ho Bao rims are made of (assuming they are the same as the Ofnas) but I know that they work well. Never broke a rim or warped it so badly that you're not able to drive with it.

Ummm, do you know the part number for that Picco clutch bell? Is it a fixed type of pinions on the clutchbell?

If it's for USD 35, might as well get the real thing from RCCarinternational. The old fixed pinion Centax clutchbell for the Excel car go for about EURO 22.06. The last I asked, they did not have the 13T/17T available. Try and ask them if they have 14T/16T. Don't know if that can give you sufficient top end. Part number is 6595.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:32 AM   #26
Tech Rookie

InitialD, the Picco clutch bell is a fixed pinion type. The part number is 10069. The reason why I asked is because I can get them from my LHS, and I知 running a 50/47 spur combo, so the 14/17 clutch bell will be perfect. If you can find out if the Picco will fit the Centax, that will be great.
But you池e right, the 13/17 Excel clutch bell and 50/46 spurs (right?) will give me the low end punch I知 looking for without sacrificing too much top end. Again, thanks for all your help.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:31 AM   #27
Tech Prophet

Quote:
InitialD, the Picco clutch bell is a fixed pinion type. The part number is 10069. The reason why I asked is because I can get them from my LHS, and I知 running a 50/47 spur combo, so the 14/17 clutch bell will be perfect. If you can find out if the Picco will fit the Centax, that will be great.
But you池e right, the 13/17 Excel clutch bell and 50/46 spurs (right?) will give me the low end punch I知 looking for without sacrificing too much top end. Again, thanks for all your help.
I have no knowledge of the Picco. In fact this is the first time I'm hearing that the Picco clutchbell might fit... Anyway, have you tried Neo's 14T pinion? It apparently fits fine on the thread of the stock Serpent Centax clutchbell.

I don't know about the 13T/17T fixed clutchbell but the 13T/16T fixed clutchbell that I have will mesh properly with 50T 1st speed spur and 2nd speed spurs 44T, 45T and 46T. I would think that both 13T/17T and 13T/16T clutchbells have same diameter so both clutchbells should mesh properly with the combos given above.
Old 11-13-2002, 01:46 AM   #28
Tech Rookie

Cool

That's great! Thanks man. Team CRC carries parts for the Neo. I just checked their site, and they have the 14-tooth thread-on pinion for under $10. I also noticed that they have a 14/17 fixed pinion clutch bell...hmmm...you think that will fit (just wondering).
Old 11-13-2002, 02:25 AM   #29
Tech Master

guys
i have try the picco centax on the serpent..
it does not fit..
get the neo pinion.
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 02:37 AM   #30
Tech Prophet

Quote:
That's great! Thanks man. Team CRC carries parts for the Neo. I just checked their site, and they have the 14-tooth thread-on pinion for under $10. I also noticed that they have a 14/17 fixed pinion clutch bell...hmmm...you think that will fit (just wondering).
Yep, the Team CRC which carries the STS PRO and the Maddog.

I was actually looking through the site the other day and was actually impressed that they already had lightened 2 speed clutchbells. I heard that these will fit in nicely in the Impulse PRO kit. So no need to get the 705 (woohoo!) in order to get the goodies.

Anybody tried the lightened clutchbell for the STS PRO yet?

I would assume you know that for the 705 (and for the PRO kit) that a lower gearing can be achieved on the Centax II or the current Centax (doesn't matter as it uses the same pinions) by changing some internal gearing ratio.

On the PRO kit, it's a little tedious as you would have to change the pulleys on the 2 speed shaft to use Impact style mounting.