Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Is there really such a thing as a dominant chassis? >

Is there really such a thing as a dominant chassis?

Is there really such a thing as a dominant chassis?

Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Is there really such a thing as a dominant chassis?

Some people think there is a more dominant chassis - others do not. Below is just a theory I have, so I would appreciate any feedback. Tire refers to both the tire and the wheel. Revisions are also welcomed. Thanks!

Based on the track layout, track conditions, setup and tire selection - given the same engine and body, a chassis/tire combination may perform better than others, because it's operating under more optimal conditions for that particular chassis design and tire performance characteristics. If conditions are not optimal for any particular chassis/tire combination, all chassis/tire combinations have an equal opportunity of performing well based on driver skill. If all chassis/tire combinations are optimal, driver skill and discrete performance differences between chassis/tire combinations determine the outcome of a race.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that you have pretty much hit it on the head. I dont think that any 1 chasis is dominant on every track across the world, they all have there strong and weak points on different tracks.

Cheers Daniel
Old 06-05-2006, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default race

ive been around a little while now but its not the chasiss driving around the track & ive seen the best driver he JUST WONT SAVE ME ANY OF THAT TRACK
Old 06-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

3mm chassis : light and more flex.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

I used to drive a lot of 1/12th scale when I lived in Germany. I was the only guy at my local track driving an RC12L3, and everyone else drove a Corally. I was consistently faster than a lot of the guys. A lot of the guys thought that it was my chassis that I was running. I got tired of hearing it, so I bought a Corally. After a couple of trips to the track, I was running faster lap times with the Corally. I was still faster than the other guys. I worked on my set-up constantly. Some of the other Corally drivers copied my set-up, and they got faster too.

The moral of this story is that a different car can make you faster, but driving a great car with the wrong set-up will make you slower. For me the Corally was a faster car, because it was easier to set-up, and drive fast than the L3, but in the hands of other guys who didn't have it set-up right, it was slower.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey
The moral of this story is that a different car can make you faster, but driving a great car with the wrong set-up will make you slower.
Excellent point!

Although not stated, the theory makes a huge assumption that a person knows how to optimize the setup for the track layout and conditions.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:45 PM
jag
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rmdhawaii
Excellent point!

Although not stated, the theory makes a huge assumption that a person knows how to optimize the setup for the track layout and conditions.
That is a huge assumption. I believe that any of the top cars can produce but what makes a car better is the size of the "sweet spot". Some cars are easier to setup than others and some just work better than others.

Just my opinion...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

as of right now i dont think there is a dominant chassis in 1/10 tc or 1/8 on-road. what we are seeing, however, is a period of dominant team(s). like kyosho in the past ifmars. i think mechanically the cars have evolved to the point of 1/12th where they cannot push the basic designs much further besides suspension tuning. the only development i can think of is if a chassis manufacturer collaborates with an engine manufacturer to make a chassis/engine combo that can lower the CG of the engine further (similar to the development Serpent attempted with the Veteq). or if we see a tire manufacturer working with a chassis manufacturer to produce an effective race package (a la bridgestone/ferrari).